100 Greatest Movies of All Time
Irish Mike
2008-12-24 11:05:05 UTC
I really enjoy good movies and recently there's been an interesting thread
regarding movie reviews. I saw a special on TV last year called the "100
Greatest Movies of All Time" as rated by AFI (which I think is the American
Film Institute). Any way, I listed and numbered them. As you will note, I
screwed up the count at number 5 so they're off by one number but you get
the idea. I agree with most of the list and have probably seen about 70 of
the 100 films. They don't include TV series like Lonesome Dove, Rome or The
Sopranos, which would always make my collection of favorites, but it's an
interesting list for film buffs:

1. Citizen Kane

2. Godfather

3. Casablanca

4. Raging Bull

6. Singin' In The Rain

7. Gone With The Wind

8. Lawrence Of Arabia

9. Schindler's List

10. Vertigo

11. Wizard Of Oz

12. City Lights (1931)

13. Searchers

14. Starwars

15. Psycho

16. A Space Odyssey

17. Sunset Blvd.

18. The Graduate

19. The General (1927)

20. On The Waterfront

21. It's A Wonderful Life

22. Chinatown

23. Some Like It Hot

24. The Grapes Of Wrath

25. E.T. The Extraterrestrial

26. To Kill A Mockingbird

27. Mr. Smith Goes To Washington

28. High Noon

29. All About Eve

30. Double Indemnity

31. Apocalypse Now

32. The Maltese Falcon

33. Godfather Part II

34. One Flew Over The Cookoo's Nest

35. White And The Seven Dwarfs

36. Hall

37. Bridge On The River Kwai

38. Best Years Of Our Lives

39. Treasure Of The Sierra Madre

40. Strangelove

41. Sound Of Music

42. Kong (1933)

43. Bonnie and Clyde

44. Midnight Cowboy

45. The Philadelphia Story

46. Shane

47. It Happened One Night

48. Street Car Named Desire

49. Rear Window

50. Intolerance (1916)

51. Lord Of The Rings

52. West Side Story

53. Taxi Driver

54. The Deer Hunter

55. M*A*S*H

56. North By Northwest

57. Jaws

58. Rocky

59. The Gold Rush (1925)

60. Nashville (1975)

61. Duck Soup

62. Sullivan's Travels

63. American Graffiti

64. Cabaret

65. Network

66. African Queen

67. Raiders Of The Lost Ark

68. Who's Afraid Of Virginia Wolfe

69. Unforgiven

70. Tootsie

71. A Clockwork Orange

72. Saving Private Ryan

73. Shawshank Redemption

74. Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid

75. Silence Of The Lambs

76. In The Heat Of The Night

77. Forrest Gump

78. All The President's Men

79. Modern Times

80. The Wild Bunch

81. The Apartment

82. Spartacus

83. Sunrise (1927)

84. Titanic

85. Easy Rider

86. A Night At The Opera

87. Platoon

88. 12 Angry Men

89. Bringing Up Baby

90. The Sixth Sense

91. Swing Time

92. Sophie's Choice

93. Goodfellas

94. The French Connection

95. Pulp Fiction

96. The Last Picture Show

97. Do The Right Thing

98. Blade Runner

99.Yankee Doodle Dandy

100. Toy Story

101. Ben Hur

Irish Mike
Bob T.
2008-12-24 12:48:54 UTC
1) Jesus
10) Obama

Binary "10".

- Bob T.
Raider Fan
2008-12-24 13:10:38 UTC
Post by Irish Mike
I really enjoy good movies and recently there's been an interesting thread
regarding movie reviews. I saw a special on TV last year called the "100
Greatest Movies of All Time" as rated by AFI (which I think is the American
Film Institute).
To Kill a Mockingbird should be in the Top 10. It needs to trade places
with Singin' In The Rain.

-----
* kill-files, watch-lists, favorites, and more.. www.recgroups.com
number6
2008-12-24 13:43:56 UTC
      1.   Citizen Kane
If not for the veiled references to Hearst ... this belongs no where
near the top ... as a film the scene progression is choppy ... the
acting is overdone ... William Shatner as the title character in a
sequel would be fitting ... THe most over rated movie ever ...
      2.   Godfather
Easily number one ... one has to really nit pick to find any fault in
any criteria in what makes a good movie ... superb on all levels even
to extras ...
      3.   Casablanca
A classic ... but a period piece that loses a lot today
unfortunately ... Bogart was great ... his acting as his character did
in the movie equalled his acting as the character ...
      4.   Raging Bull
Lot's of good stuff ... interesting filming ... fell in love with it's
artsiness a little too much ...
      6.   Singin' In The Rain
I do not like the genre ... but there are many others I've enjoyed
more than this one ...
      7.   Gone With The Wind
The first modern epic ... Well acted, filmed and produced ... The
novel was such a hit that the movie had to achieve greatness just to
not disappoint ... it surpassed it ...
      8.   Lawrence Of Arabia
Caught in a Catch 22 (where is that classic rated ??) ... to reflect
the pain and endurance needed ... long periods of sun and sand were
needed to be shown but also gave the audience some pain and taxed
their endurance ...
      9.   Schindler's List
Top flight ... Some say Spielberg did this just to prove he could make
a serious movie ... I didn't think he needed it ... but he proved he
could do it easily ..
.
      10. Vertigo
My 3rd favorite Hitchcock is rated here ...
      11. Wizard Of Oz
Any movie 70 years old that I still enjoy watching has to be rated
highly ... When I first saw this as a kid ... those flying monkeys
scared the crap out of me ... more than Frankenstein, Dracula or any
other supposed horror flick of the times ...
      12. City Lights (1931)
      13. Searchers
      14. Starwars
Move this up near the top ...
      15. Psycho
my favorite Hitchcock ... having sequels didn't bother me ... but the
remake brought terrorist thoughts ...
      16. A Space Odyssey
Top notch - the opening sequence very firmly set a theme in motion ...
It did need a little more story telling as the movie progressed ...
      17. Sunset Blvd.
      18. The Graduate
      19. The General (1927)
      20. On The Waterfront
      21. It's A Wonderful Life
So many movies below that belong here ... somehow rating Ben Hur 74
places below Sunset Blvd. seems strange ... It won a gazillion
Oscars ... made tons of money at the box office ... and is still shown
and watched today ...
Critically acclaimed, popular and enduring ... Sunset Blvd. is found
in the 1.99 DVD bin at the local drugstore ...
CincinnatiKid
2008-12-24 13:52:22 UTC
Shawshank is easily top 5. Same goes for GF 2. This list is a bit
pretentious.

brewmaster
2008-12-24 15:38:16 UTC
Post by CincinnatiKid
Shawshank is easily top 5. Same goes for GF 2. This list is a bit
pretentious.
GF2 is widely considered to be better than GF1. Why it is so much further
down the list baffles me.
Check out the Top 100 at www.imdb.com
--
Email me here: http://tinymail.me/k4r2nk

-----
Senator Millionaire
2008-12-24 17:01:58 UTC
You should add this movie to your list. It will playing at a theater
near you very soon. Check it!

Oh yeah..it's a comedy with a twist of Disney. Enjoy!
RazzO
2008-12-26 05:28:20 UTC
Return to Gillgan's Island, hands down.
Who ever wrote this list ia a fucking IDIOT!
"Your all is idiots!" - Mike Matusow

looking for a better newsgroup-reader? - www.recgroups.com
Arlo-Payne
2008-12-24 15:07:26 UTC
Post by Irish Mike
I really enjoy good movies and recently there's been an interesting thread
regarding movie reviews. I saw a special on TV last year called the "100
Greatest Movies of All Time" as rated by AFI (which I think is the American
Film Institute). Any way, I listed and numbered them. As you will note, I
screwed up the count at number 5 so they're off by one number but you get
the idea. I agree with most of the list and have probably seen about 70 of
the 100 films. They don't include TV series like Lonesome Dove, Rome or The
Sopranos, which would always make my collection of favorites, but it's an
1. Citizen Kane
2. Godfather
3. Casablanca
4. Raging Bull
6. Singin' In The Rain
7. Gone With The Wind
8. Lawrence Of Arabia
All of the above movies hav e always been very overrated.
Post by Irish Mike
24. The Grapes Of Wrath
Without question the most right on the target movie ever made.

---
* kill-files, watch-lists, favorites, and more.. www.recgroups.com
FL Turbo
2008-12-26 17:15:27 UTC
Post by Irish Mike
24. The Grapes Of Wrath
Without question the most right on the target movie ever made.
The story goes that Uncle Joe Stalin distributed that movie throughout
Russia to show how badly the Capitalist society mistreated workers.

The obstinate Russkies refused to learn the lesson.

Instead, they noticed that in America even the poorest people owned
trucks.

I can't verify the story, but I like it and plan to repeat it whenever
I can.
Pepe Papon
"Gone With the Wind" overrated? I don't think so.
number6
2008-12-27 13:52:01 UTC
Post by Arlo-Payne
      1.   Citizen Kane
      2.   Godfather
      3.   Casablanca
      4.   Raging Bull
      6.   Singin' In The Rain
      7.   Gone With The Wind
      8.   Lawrence Of Arabia
All of the above movies hav e always been very overrated.
"Gone With the Wind" overrated?  I don't think so.
People don't realize the pressure under which that movie was made ...
It was a very successful book that was published and widely read ...
Something that people don't relate to these days ... Think of it as
the 4th Star Wars anticipation ...
As a result that movie was under a microscope from the day they
decided to make it ... Every time an actor was cast and even before
there was pro and con discussion ... Everytime something leaked out
about the filming it made headlines ... And when it was
released ...you had thousands of critics looking to nit pick it
down ... Yet they couldn't ... It was an instant success in all
phases ... and remained as such even to today ...

and to say Godfather is over rated is almost even worse ...
The others ... make a case and I'll listen ... in fact I'd even make a
case for being over rated on some ...
Jerry Sturdivant
2008-12-27 14:46:42 UTC
Another way to rate a movie is whether a remake was ever attempted. I see
they never tired a remake of Casablanca. Who would dare/

Jerry 'n Vegas
number6
2008-12-27 14:57:16 UTC
Post by Jerry Sturdivant
Another way to rate a movie is whether a remake was ever attempted. I see
they never tired a remake of Casablanca. Who would dare/
You never know ... some idiot tried a remake of Psycho ... I hope
someone castrated him ... there's a gene pool that shouldn't be
allowed to be passed on ...
Jerry Sturdivant
2008-12-27 16:21:23 UTC
Post by number6
Post by Jerry Sturdivant
Another way to rate a movie is whether a
remake was ever attempted. I see
they never tired a remake of Casablanca.
Who would dare
You never know ... some idiot tried a remake of Psycho
... I hope someone castrated him ... there's a gene pool
that shouldn't be allowed to be passed on ...
Ouch! Let's just take away his pen..

Jerry 'n Vegas
Tim Norfolk
2008-12-27 18:56:25 UTC
Post by Jerry Sturdivant
Another way to rate a movie is whether a remake was ever attempted. I see
they never tired a remake of Casablanca. Who would dare/
Jerry 'n Vegas
Does anyone remember that awful Casablanca TV series? I believe it was
with David Soul.
Pepe Papon
2008-12-28 01:12:27 UTC
Post by number6
Post by Arlo-Payne
[...]
Because we were fighting Japan in WW2, "Gone With the Wind" was not
available there until after the war. When the movie was finally
released there, the response of the Japanese people was something to
the effect of, "OMG! No wonder we lost the war! We had no idea we
were fighting a country capable of making such a film. If we'd known
they were this advanced, we never would have attacked them!"
j***@yahoo.com
2008-12-24 17:24:00 UTC
Any such list that does not have The Man Who Would be King on it is
crap.

(Also, Hudson Hawk, but that may just be me. ;))
number6
2008-12-24 17:30:19 UTC
Post by j***@yahoo.com
Any such list that does not have The Man Who Would be King on it is
crap.
(Also, Hudson Hawk, but that may just be me. ;))
Yeah ... that is just you I believe ... Bruce Willis movies are
terrific ... very watchable and exciting ... always entertaining ...
but then you have Hudson Hawk ... the exception to prove the rule ...
Like Stallone's Oscar ... Though he had several more ...
Irish Mike
2008-12-24 21:14:05 UTC
Post by j***@yahoo.com
Any such list that does not have The Man Who Would be King on it is
crap.
(Also, Hudson Hawk, but that may just be me. ;))
I have to agree about "The Man Who Would Be King". Great movie and great
acting. But then I have always been a Rudyard Kipling fan. BTW, Kipling
wrote that story when he was working for "The Northern Star" newspaper in
India.

But "Hudson Hawk"? Seriously bucko, this one was a dog - with fleas.

Irish Mike
j***@yahoo.com
2008-12-27 20:45:35 UTC
Post by j***@yahoo.com
Any such list that does not have The Man Who Would be King on it is
crap.
(Also, Hudson Hawk, but that may just be me. ;))
I have to agree about "The Man Who Would Be King".  Great movie and great
acting.  But then I have always been a Rudyard Kipling fan.  BTW, Kipling
wrote that story when he was working for "The Northern Star" newspaper in
India.
But "Hudson Hawk"?  Seriously bucko, this one was a dog - with fleas.
Irish Mike
Had to whip out the DVD and watch it again after posting this. It was
just so good.

"You tell him that Peachy and me don't do anywhere without the army
goes with us."

Classic.
jimmypic
A***@Texas.net
2008-12-24 19:10:38 UTC
The reason "It's a wonderful Life" is a classic' is because it lost
it's copyright cause it initially failed so badly it wasn't worth
renewing. So any TV station that had a copy could air it for free.
because of this we saw it so many times it has became a classic.

the order of a top list isn't important as we all have personal
tastes. the fact we agree or not if a film makes the list is what's
important.

looking at the list I see mostly films that reflect how something was
presented (done) for the first time, is just a really good story, or
is a comment on something.

Any story that has a end plot twist like "The Day The Earth Stood
still" 1951, Sixth Sense and Matrix which beside having a good story
says something about mankind or human nature are way under rated.

I'd rather rewatch some Low budget films like City of Angels, You Got
Mail, or "History of the World part 1" then a 3rd of the classic top
100. I never understood why a film like Waterworld failed so badly.

Eating well is life's revenge.
AJ
Irish Mike
2008-12-24 21:20:33 UTC
Post by A***@Texas.net
[...]
Have to agree with you on a couple of points bucko. I liked "You've got
Mail" and have watched it twice. Hey, I'm a sensitive guy and I'll put a
boot up the ass of any bastard that says I ain't! I also liked "Waterworld"
although what's-his-name (the villain) was a little over the top. I know
his name and will think of it as soon as I hit the send key.

Irish Mike
Travel
2008-12-25 13:39:07 UTC
I thought Waterworld was underrated, also. It was worth watching just
for that super cool catamaran, alone.

Dennis Hopper and his lame Wave Runners did bring the movie down,
though. It should have been all catamarans and catamaran chases;
showing impressive sailing skills, that sort of thing.
It seems pretty much impossible to make a top 100 movie list,
considering it has to be based mostly on opinion. Take the movie that's
been recently discussed in another thread: "Seven Pounds". On
RottenTomatoes.com the critics gave it 28% and the regular viewers gave
it a 79%.

How about "A man For All Seasons" or "The Hustler"? There are a ton of
movies that could easily replace movies on the list, above. It depends
on who's making the list.

Irish Mike
2008-12-26 02:07:36 UTC
Post by Irish Mike
[...]
A couple of my favourite war films: Where Eagles Dare, and Zulu
Zulu was a classic. I went through Ranger school with a Sandhurst Lt. who
was from an old British Military family. I believe he said it was his
great, great grandfather who fought in the battle at Roark's Drift against
the Zulus. If you haven't seen it there is another movie out called "Zulu
Dawn" with Burt Lancaster. It focuses on another British army unit that was
pretty much wiped out by the Zulu as part of that same general battle.
However, it's not nearly as good as the original.

Irish Mike
don
2008-12-26 02:28:57 UTC
I liked The Cincinnati Kid. Oh wait, that's about poker.
Sorry.
Gareth Erskine-Jones
2008-12-26 03:24:59 UTC
On Thu, 25 Dec 2008 21:07:36 -0500, "Irish Mike"
Post by Irish Mike
Zulu was a classic. I went through Ranger school with a Sandhurst Lt. who
was from an old British Military family. I believe he said it was his
great, great grandfather who fought in the battle at Roark's Drift against
the Zulus. If you haven't seen it there is another movie out called "Zulu
Dawn" with Burt Lancaster. It focuses on another British army unit that was
pretty much wiped out by the Zulu as part of that same general battle.
However, it's not nearly as good as the original.
As war movies go, Zulu was pretty inaccurate though. I had the
privilege of travelling around the scene of the battle of Rouke's
Drift (and that of Isandlwana which took place a few hours earlier)
with David Rattray whose knowledge of the battles, and story telling
skills were superb. He was a wonderful man - greatly loved by the
Zulus who knew him, but, for reasons that are not clear, was murdered
last year. His knowledge of the battles came mostly from his
friendships with Zulus whose grandparents had fought. One of the
points thought particularly significant is that the battle of Rouke's
Drift was portrayed (at the time, and later), as a great heroic
defense (I believe more Victoria Crosses - the highest military honour
in the UK, were awarded for that battle than any other), mainly in an
attempt to deflect attention from the massive defeat at Isandlwana.
pausem
2008-12-29 13:02:02 UTC
Post by Irish Mike
[...]
Not one foreign language film on the list.

Says a lot about Americans.
number6
2008-12-29 13:56:19 UTC
Says more about Foreign Language movie makers ...
Irish Mike
2008-12-29 14:21:07 UTC
Post by pausem
Not one foreign language film on the list.
Says a lot about Americans.
Says more about Foreign Language movie makers ...

Right you are bucko! If them foreign bastards want to sell their movies to
Americans, let 'em learn to speak American! Subtitles are for pussies.

Irish Mike
pausem
2008-12-29 15:05:43 UTC
Post by number6
Post by pausem
Not one foreign language film on the list.
Says a lot about Americans.
Says more about Foreign Language movie makers ...
Right you are bucko!  If them foreign bastards want to sell their movies to
Americans, let 'em learn to speak American!  Subtitles are for pussies.
Irish Mike
Not my fault if you can't read subtitles.

I'll stick to ordering from the full menu, you keep away from those
nasty foreign dishes.
NG-USER-777
Who the fuck wants to read when watching a movie!
Gareth Erskine-Jones
2008-12-30 02:00:27 UTC
Post by NG-USER-777
Post by pausem
Post by number6
Post by pausem
Not one foreign language film on the list.
Says a lot about Americans.
Says more about Foreign Language movie makers ...
Right you are bucko! If them foreign bastards want to sell their movies to
Americans, let 'em learn to speak American! Subtitles are for pussies.
Irish Mike
Not my fault if you can't read subtitles.
I'll stick to ordering from the full menu, you keep away from those
nasty foreign dishes.
Who the fuck wants to read when watching a movie!
Anyone who wants to watch a terrific Almodovar movie without having to
cope with appalling dubbing.

GEJ
Irish Mike
2008-12-30 02:53:17 UTC
Post by Gareth Erskine-Jones
Post by NG-USER-777
Post by pausem
Post by number6
Post by pausem
Not one foreign language film on the list.
Says a lot about Americans.
Says more about Foreign Language movie makers ...
Right you are bucko! If them foreign bastards want to sell their movies to
Americans, let 'em learn to speak American! Subtitles are for pussies.
Irish Mike
Not my fault if you can't read subtitles.
I'll stick to ordering from the full menu, you keep away from those
nasty foreign dishes.
Who the fuck wants to read when watching a movie!
Anyone who wants to watch a terrific Almodovar movie without having to
cope with appalling dubbing.
GEJ
First, you have a stupid, wimpy sounding name. Second, who the fuck did
this Ala-mode guy play for and why ain't I seen him on ESPN? Third, I think
you wear perfume and drive a Volvo with a rainbow flag bumper sticker.

Irish Mike

P.S. subtitles are still for pussies.
Gareth Erskine-Jones
2008-12-30 12:27:58 UTC
On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 21:53:17 -0500, "Irish Mike"
Post by Irish Mike
Post by Gareth Erskine-Jones
Anyone who wants to watch a terrific Almodovar movie without having to
cope with appalling dubbing.
GEJ
First, you have a stupid, wimpy sounding name.
Yup. I wish I was called "Irish Mike", because people would really
think I was incredibly cool, and I wouldn't have to spend my life
fretting because some idiot on usenet doesn't like my name. How I'll
live with that I don't know.

My name, btw, was Gareth Jones. Gareth after a famous rugby player,
Jones, because it was my family name, I tend to work in fairly large
companies though, and "Gareth Jones" is a pretty common name. I got
fed up of getting calls that were for other people, so I adopted my
wife's maiden name also my wife's family has a practice of passing the
Erskine name down because all of the male Erskines in the family were
killed in WWII. I don't think that's particularly wimpy.
Post by Irish Mike
Second, who the fuck did
this Ala-mode guy play for and why ain't I seen him on ESPN?
You haven't seen him on ESPN because he's a great film director, not a
muscle bound idiot who moves balls around for a living. I haven't seen
him on ESPN because I don't watch it.
Post by Irish Mike
Third, I think
you wear perfume and drive a Volvo with a rainbow flag bumper sticker.
Do you really? Well that is facinating. You sound like the kind of guy
it would be really interesting to hang out with.
Post by Irish Mike
P.S. subtitles are still for pussies.
I suppose if you think anyone who wants to watch a film that isn't
entirely in your own language (or languages you understand - and I'm
going to hazzard a guess here.... that's just one, and a simplified
version of it at best) is a pussy then I suppose I am. Personally, I
have seen films where the dialogue wasn't in english, and I've enjoyed
them. I find them hard to understand if I can't figure out what
they're saying, so the subtitles help. Dubbed films suck, but you
can't read and watch a movie at the same time, I guess you would have
a problem with subtitles, and if that makes you feel illiterate or
inferior, then insulting those who can do it might make you feel a bit
better - that's often the case with people who have inferiority
complexes.

Have you seen Kill Bill? Did you enjoy the bits where the dialogue was
in Japanese? How did you cope with that? Did you put masking tape on
the screen to hide the subtitles, and then just wait for the witty
conversation to end and the sword fights to start again?

GEJ
NG-USER-777
2008-12-30 13:01:46 UTC
Post by Gareth Erskine-Jones
My name, btw, was Gareth Jones.
Gay
Post by Gareth Erskine-Jones
Gareth after a famous rugby player,
Gayer
Gayest
Mark B [Diputsur]
2008-12-30 18:33:22 UTC
+1
Gareth Erskine-Jones
2008-12-31 00:57:17 UTC
Post by NG-USER-777
Post by Gareth Erskine-Jones
My name, btw, was Gareth Jones.
Gay
Post by Gareth Erskine-Jones
Gareth after a famous rugby player,
Gayer
Post by Gareth Erskine-Jones
I adopted my wife's maiden name
Gayest
Got to say - the standard of debate here is superb. I presume it'll
improve once the school holidays are over.

GEJ
number6
2008-12-31 02:14:30 UTC
Post by Gareth Erskine-Jones
Gareth after a famous rugby player,
But wasn't he Welsh ?? That may explain the disparaging
comments ... :-)
Gareth Erskine-Jones
2009-01-01 16:51:08 UTC
Post by number6
Post by Gareth Erskine-Jones
Gareth after a famous rugby player,
But wasn't he Welsh ?? That may explain the disparaging
comments ... :-)
Yes he was, and as my original surname suggests, my family is of Welsh
(three quarters, the other quarter being Irish) ancestry (although I
did once employ a South African who was also named Gareth by his rugby
crazy father).

As for the disparaging comments, well, people can put it down to a
lack of humour if they like, but humour based on people's supposed
nationality or sexuality (e.g. using "gay" as an insult") isn't as
popular as it once was in the UK. Otherwise I'd be having a field day
with "Irish Mike" on the grounds that "Irish" used to be a pretty
common insult meaning stupid or retarded.

GEJ
A Man Beaten by Jacks
2009-01-01 17:06:46 UTC
On Thu, 01 Jan 2009 16:51:08 +0000, Gareth Erskine-Jones
Post by Gareth Erskine-Jones
As for the disparaging comments, well, people can put it down to a
lack of humour if they like, but humour based on people's supposed
nationality or sexuality (e.g. using "gay" as an insult") isn't as
popular as it once was in the UK. Otherwise I'd be having a field day
with "Irish Mike" on the grounds that "Irish" used to be a pretty
common insult meaning stupid or retarded.
Well, it still is on this newsgroup, though it only applies to IM
personally.
number6
2009-01-01 18:19:07 UTC
Post by number6
Post by Gareth Erskine-Jones
Gareth after a famous rugby player,
But wasn't he Welsh ?? That may explain the disparaging
comments ... :-)
Yes he was, and as my original surname suggests, my family is of Welsh
(three quarters, the other quarter being Irish)  ancestry (although I
did once employ a South African who was also named Gareth by his rugby
crazy father).
As for the disparaging comments, well, people can put it down to a
lack of humour if they like, but humour based on people's supposed
nationality or sexuality (e.g. using "gay" as an insult") isn't as
popular as it once was in the UK. Otherwise I'd be having a field day
with "Irish Mike" on the grounds that "Irish" used to be a pretty
common insult meaning stupid or retarded.
I'm not from the UK ... but have many friends who are ... and amongst
them when a really bad screw up occurred ... one would say to the
other something like ... and he's not even Welsh ...

Seemed like the Welsh were treated like the poor sisters in the UK ...
and least among some snobby Brits ...

I only know of Portmerion as one may have guessed ... and some
interest in Rugby from 30 or so years ago ... meeting and becoming
friends with a Scottish immigrant who had several caps for Scotland's
Rugby team ... Although I met him painfully trying to play soccer ...
Gareth Erskine-Jones
2009-01-01 19:16:54 UTC
Post by number6
[...]
That's pretty rare, although as you say, Wales doesn't have a great
profile (although that's changing, at least in the cities in the
south).

Mostly the Brits are more parochial in their regional insults. I'm
from Lancashire originally - and the rivalry between Lancashire and
Yorkshire is legendary. But still, I guess it's political correctness,
but the use of nationality / ethnicity as the basis of insults has
simply gone out of fashion - you only tend to hear it from the older
people (by which I mean the over 50s).

The use of "gay" as an insult is more complex - certainly most younger
people don't have the hangups about homosexuality that, for example,
my parents' generation would have, and so don't call people "queers"
as an insult. There is a tendency to use the word "gay" as an insult -
but in those cases it isn't really being used in a sexual sense - it's
being used in a much older sense, meaning something like "twee".

GEJ
Travel A
2009-01-01 20:27:34 UTC
Das Boot was a great one and qualifies as a foreign language movie. But
does it beat-out Platoon, Patton, The Bridge On The River Kwai,
Apocalypse Now, The Great Escape, and Gallipoli etc., on a 100 greatest
movie list of all movies; and not just, specifically, the 100 greatest
war movies?

How may war movies could objectively make a 100 greatest movie list in
the first place?
Raider Fan
2008-12-31 13:16:51 UTC
Post by Gareth Erskine-Jones
Got to say - the standard of debate here is superb. I presume it'll
improve once the school holidays are over.
I wouldn't count on that.

------
Irish Mike
2008-12-30 13:54:44 UTC
Post by Irish Mike
[...]
In certain parts of the U.S., when mocking an especially uptight,
self-centered, over-blown pompous twit with absolutely no sense of humor,
they say "That boy's definitely got a cob up his ass". Well bucko, you are,
without question, the cob-up-his-ass poster boy. Not to mention being a
premier drama queen. Now run along and see if you can find a Pee Wee Herman
movie with subtitles. :)

Irish Mike
Mark B [Diputsur]
2008-12-30 18:27:54 UTC
... I tend to work in fairly large companies though, and "Gareth Jones"
is a pretty common name. I got fed up of getting calls that were for
other people, so I adopted my wife's maiden name
BULLSHIT!!!
also my wife's family has a practice of passing the Erskine name
down because all of the male Erskines in the family were
killed in WWII. I don't think that's particularly wimpy.
It sure as hell is! LOL You didn't have a choice!
We all know who wears the pants in that family!!!
HER DADDY! LOL
garycarson
2008-12-30 21:47:39 UTC
Post by NG-USER-777
Post by pausem
Post by number6
Post by pausem
[...]
Maybe.

But Das Boot is a foreign language film that was dubbed into English and
is also the best war movie ever made.

No war vet (other than wanna be posers) would leave Das Boot off of a top
100 movies list.

I've always susptected that Irish Mick was just a poser.

John_Brian_K
2008-12-31 14:56:19 UTC
Post by garycarson
But Das Boot is a foreign language film that was dubbed into English and
is also the best war movie ever made.
Negative.

You must not think me necessarily foolish because I am facetious,
nor will I consider you necessarily wise because you are grave.
========
BOOM byae
John

--------
* kill-files, watch-lists, favorites, and more.. www.recgroups.com
Kenneth Sloan
2008-12-31 03:07:53 UTC
Post by NG-USER-777
Post by pausem
Post by number6
Post by pausem
Not one foreign language film on the list.
Says a lot about Americans.
Says more about Foreign Language movie makers ...
Right you are bucko! If them foreign bastards want to sell their movies to
Americans, let 'em learn to speak American! Subtitles are for pussies.
Irish Mike
Not my fault if you can't read subtitles.
I'll stick to ordering from the full menu, you keep away from those
nasty foreign dishes.
Who the fuck wants to read when watching a movie!
Anyone who wants to watch a terrific Almodovar movie without having to
cope with appalling dubbing.
GEJ
there *is* a third alternative...
--
Kenneth Sloan ***@gmail.com
Birmingham, AL 35294-1170 http://KennethRSloan.com/
Gareth Erskine-Jones
2009-01-01 16:54:02 UTC
Post by NG-USER-777
Post by pausem
Post by number6
Post by pausem
Not one foreign language film on the list.
Says a lot about Americans.
Says more about Foreign Language movie makers ...
Right you are bucko! If them foreign bastards want to sell their movies to
Americans, let 'em learn to speak American! Subtitles are for pussies.
Irish Mike
Not my fault if you can't read subtitles.
I'll stick to ordering from the full menu, you keep away from those
nasty foreign dishes.
Who the fuck wants to read when watching a movie!
Anyone who wants to watch a terrific Almodovar movie without having to
cope with appalling dubbing.
GEJ
there *is* a third alternative...
Yes, but I don't speak Spanish, and in the last few days I've watched
Japanese films, a couple of French ones, and one in Mongolian. It
would take a hell of a lot of language study for the third option to
be viable for me....

GEJ
Irish Mike
2008-12-29 16:14:00 UTC
Post by number6
Post by pausem
Not one foreign language film on the list.
Says a lot about Americans.
Says more about Foreign Language movie makers ...
Right you are bucko! If them foreign bastards want to sell their movies to
Americans, let 'em learn to speak American! Subtitles are for pussies.
Irish Mike
Not my fault if you can't read subtitles.

I'll stick to ordering from the full menu, you keep away from those
nasty foreign dishes.

See if you can order a sense of humor while you're at it.

Irish Mike
Tim Norfolk
2008-12-29 16:43:59 UTC
Post by number6
Post by pausem
Not one foreign language film on the list.
Says a lot about Americans.
Says more about Foreign Language movie makers ...
Right you are bucko! �If them foreign bastards want to sell their movies to
Americans, let 'em learn to speak American! �Subtitles are for pussies.
Irish Mike
Hey - I was born British, and am now American. After 30 years here,
still don't speak the language.
eleaticus

"In America, they haven't spoken it for years." (English)
eleaticus
2008-12-29 19:40:41 UTC
Idiot
number6
2008-12-29 20:26:10 UTC
Post by number6
Post by pausem
Not one foreign language film on the list.
Says a lot about Americans.
Says more about Foreign Language movie makers ...
Idiot
Well maybe I am an IDIOT ... but it was the AFI list for American
films ...
Pssst ... do you know what the A in AFI stands for ...
No not asshole like you are ... no not anal like you are ...

Imagine that ... no foreign language movies on the AFI list of
American films ...
Foreign Language movie makers DON'T MAKE AMERICAN MOVIES ...

Imagine that ... and one who contests that calls another an idiot ...

laughable ... pathetic ...
eleaticus
2008-12-30 02:53:12 UTC
Some idiot says the AFI list missing foreign films says something about
foreign movie makers, I call him an idiot, and you now say there was
something wrong with that characterization?

idiot..

laughable ... pathetic ...
number6
2008-12-30 03:50:47 UTC
Post by eleaticus
Some idiot says the AFI list missing foreign films says something about
foreign movie makers, I call him an idiot, and you now say there was
something wrong with that characterization?
idiot..
And now you're not only an idiot but a top posting idiot ... Take your
hand out of your ass and your foot out of your mouth ...

You fucked up ... and don't even have the courtesy to admit it ... You
are a real piece of work ... Calling me an idiot because I dared to
mention Foreign Language filmmakers were not included in the AFI
list ...
You are not only an idiot ... but an arrogant asshole ... can't see
the writing in front of you ... and spin your answers ... how the hell
did we ever let a limey idiot like you into the US ... ??? I thought
English was required to be understood ... Like the American Film
Institute ... means no Foreign Language films ... kinda simple I would
think ... but not to an arrogant piece of shit ...
Spin away asshole ... insert your foot deeper into your mouth ... you
have ZERO credibility ... none ... just a lying bastard ...
eleaticus
2008-12-30 03:28:33 UTC
Post by eleaticus
Some idiot says the AFI list missing foreign films says something about
foreign movie makers, I call him an idiot, and you now say there was
something wrong with that characterization?
idiot..
"And now you're not only an idiot but a top posting idiot ... Take your
hand out of your ass and your foot out of your mouth ...

You fucked up ... and don't even have the courtesy to admit it ... You
are a real piece of work ... Calling me an idiot because I dared to
mention Foreign Language filmmakers were not included in the AFI
list ."..

The comment "says something about foreign film makers" had one > and my
response none, so obviously I responded to THAT idiot.

An explicitly American-only list cannot say anything about foreign film
makers and certainly not that they are inferior.
number6
2008-12-30 04:41:36 UTC
Post by eleaticus
Post by eleaticus
Some idiot says the AFI list missing foreign films says something about
foreign movie makers, I call him an idiot, and you now say there was
something wrong with that characterization?
idiot..
"And now you're not only an idiot but a top posting idiot ... Take your
hand out of your ass and your foot out of your mouth ...
You fucked up ... and don't even have the courtesy to admit it ... You
are a real piece of work ... Calling me an idiot because I dared to
mention Foreign Language filmmakers were not included in the AFI
list ."..
The comment "says something about foreign film makers" had one > and my
response none, so obviously I responded to THAT idiot.
An explicitly American-only list cannot say anything about foreign film
makers and certainly not that they are inferior.
When Pausem said that there were no foreign language films on the
list ... He said it says a lot about Americans ... I countered it says
a lot more about Foreign Language film makers ... Because of that you
called me an idiot ...

You failed to understand even with my capitalizing F and L in Foreign
Language ... that it was impossible for a Foreign Language film to be
included in the list ... and hopped on pausem's idiotic anti American
comment ... The idiots are pausem and you for not realizing that
Foreign Language films were not included due to it being an American
list ... and not because of stupid uncultured Americans as was implied
by both of you ...

You can take your Eurocentric Chauvinistic "We're Better Than You" Air
and shove it ...
Irish Mike
2008-12-30 04:19:26 UTC
Post by eleaticus
[...]

Now this is what I like about RGP! Post a list of AFI's top 100 movies on
any other newsgroup and you'd get some bland, polite discussion of film
genre, director creativity and the talents of various actors. Interesting
but a little dull. Well not with RGP! No sir! We get profanity, insults
and personal attacks - all the stuff that keeps a conversation lively. Hell
boys, we might even see some mud rasslin' before this thing ends! Yee haw!

Irish Mike
pausem
2008-12-30 14:37:23 UTC
Post by number6
Post by pausem
Not one foreign language film on the list.
Says a lot about Americans.
Says more about Foreign Language movie makers ...
Idiot
Well maybe I am an IDIOT ... but it was the AFI list for American
films ...
Pssst ... do you know what the A in AFI stands for ...
No not asshole like you are ... no not anal like you are ...
Imagine that ... no foreign language movies on the AFI list of
American films ...
Foreign Language movie makers DON'T MAKE AMERICAN MOVIES ...
Imagine that ... and one who contests that calls another an idiot ...
laughable ... pathetic ...
The OP states it was "100 Greatest Movies of All Time" as rated by
AFI" not the "100 Greatest American Movies of All Time"
as rated by AFI" nor the "100 Greatest Movies of All Time in English
" as rated by AFI"

Seems to be a few films in the his list which other countries might
claim as well.
John_Brian_K
2008-12-30 15:04:03 UTC
Post by pausem
Seems to be a few films in the his list which other countries might
claim as well.
No offense buddy but we only give a fuck about American stuff!
lol
:)

These lists are all the same they generalize. IMO there would be NOWAY to
REALLY come up with the greatest this or that of all time from everywhere.
WAAAY too many variables.

I can give you MY personal list and you could share YOUR personal list,
but to say either is better is an exercise in futility. It is all
subjective and personal.

BRAVEHEART is my favorite

Swingers
The Hunt for Red October
Princess Bride
Crossroads (the old one without Brittney)
etc etc etc

Is my list 'wrong'? Nope it is my opinion.

Irish Mike
2008-12-30 15:23:46 UTC
Post by John_Brian_K
Post by pausem
Seems to be a few films in the his list which other countries might
claim as well.
No offense buddy but we only give a fuck about American stuff!
lol
:)
These lists are all the same they generalize. IMO there would be NOWAY to
REALLY come up with the greatest this or that of all time from everywhere.
WAAAY too many variables.
I can give you MY personal list and you could share YOUR personal list,
but to say either is better is an exercise in futility. It is all
subjective and personal.
BRAVEHEART is my favorite
I've watched Braveheart all the way through once. I've watched the first
half four times. Love to see those English bastards get their asses kicked.
BTW, I was at Edinburgh Castle and they have a statue of William Wallace by
the entrance. The tour guide pointed it out and said, "That's a statue of
the man who has done more to help Scotish tourism than any one. That's
right folks, it's Mel Gibson."

Irish Mike
John_Brian_K
2008-12-30 15:46:19 UTC
Post by Irish Mike
I've watched Braveheart all the way through once.
All the way through multiple times.
Post by Irish Mike
I've watched the first
half four times.
I bought this on tape many years ago and watched the first tape (it came
in 2 tapes) many more times. I have watched the first 40 minutes or so
well over 300 times.
Post by Irish Mike
BTW, I was at Edinburgh Castle and they have a statue of William Wallace by
the entrance. The tour guide pointed it out and said, "That's a statue of
the man who has done more to help Scotish tourism than any one. That's
right folks, it's Mel Gibson."
Irish Mike
lol

I am sure he was being facetious. To be honest it IS Mel Gibson who would
be responsible for the influx of tourism. Without the success of that
film many would not know the name William Wallace.

Travel
2008-12-30 17:48:56 UTC
pausem Usenet Poster
***@gmail.com Post #61 of 67 (3 views) Copy Shortcut Dec 30,
2008, 9:29 AM
Re: 100 Greatest Movies of All Time Reply

---------
pausem Usenet Poster
2008, 8:02 AM
"Not one foreign language film on the list."
Name one. Name a foreign language film that should be on the list.
City of God

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0317248

I've seen it and it was good. Can't say it rises to the level of an
all-time top 100 list.

My question about naming a foreign language film that should be on the
list was a serious question. Convince people that your assertions are
true.

I've seen plenty of foreign language films, I just can't think of one
that would qualify without doubt. The very best of the foreign language
movies, for the most part, are available for American audiences. If
there were truely a number of foreign language movies that should/could
make the list, it seems that it would be apparent.

British-made movies are technically foreign, in that, they're not
American movies, although they can be funded to some point, distributed
and promoted by American movie companies . In other words, foreign
language movies have to compete with decades of movies from the two
superpowers of movie making.

It seems that the "nominees" for the list, taken from the abundance of
quality movies from British studios combined with American movies would
easily push other foreign country movies off a "Top 100 Movies" list.
Unless you can think of just one -all-time outstanding- foreign
language movie.

The thing is, if one movie is taken off the list because it's not
really one of the top 100 movies, there are other American or British
movies in line to take its place.

The odds just aren't that great for a foreign language movie to make
the list. You have, what, France and Germany, and then a handful of
notable movies from all the other countries, combined, that make
foreign language movies. The "talent pool" is small and at a
disadvantage.

And don't forget the English speaking Australian movies. There have
been quite a few decent Australian movies made over the years.

Steam
2008-12-31 05:57:29 UTC
Post by John_Brian_K
lol
I am sure he was being facetious. To be honest it IS Mel Gibson who would
be responsible for the influx of tourism. Without the success of that
film many would not know the name William Wallace.
Some of us would, but that film certainly made him famous world wide.

---
Travel
2008-12-29 18:58:58 UTC
pausem Usenet Poster
***@gmail.com Post #29 of 36 (1 views) Copy Shortcut Dec 29,
2008, 8:02 AM

pausem
2008-12-30 14:29:47 UTC
pausem   Usenet Poster
2008, 8:02 AM

funky cold medina
2008-12-29 19:48:35 UTC
Post by pausem
Post by Irish Mike
I really enjoy good movies and recently there's been an interesting thread
regarding movie reviews.
Not one foreign language film on the list.
Says a lot about Americans.
Appreciate somebody taking time to put that list here.

But, FYI - though the thread says 'Greatest Movies,' the AFI posts a
list of the 'Greatest American Movies' -- every year. It's not
snobbery, the AFI specifically targets American Cinema.

I don't keep a list of my favorite films, it changes too damn often.
But off the top of my head and looking at what I've got at home -
these rank among the best in my book:

- The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
- Oldboy (Korean)
- Goodfellas
- On the Waterfront
- Shawshank Redemption
- The Great Escape
- Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
- Die Hard
- Donnie Darko
- The Big Lebowski
- The Magnificent Seven
- Trainspotting
- The Third Man (way better than citizen Kane)
- Dazed and Confused
- No country for Old Men
- LA Confidential
Raider Fan
2008-12-29 20:07:24 UTC
Post by funky cold medina
I don't keep a list of my favorite films, it changes too damn often.
But off the top of my head and looking at what I've got at home -
- The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
- Oldboy (Korean)
- Goodfellas
- On the Waterfront
- Shawshank Redemption
- The Great Escape
- Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
- Die Hard
- Donnie Darko
- The Big Lebowski
- The Magnificent Seven
- Trainspotting
- The Third Man (way better than citizen Kane)
- Dazed and Confused
- No country for Old Men
- LA Confidential
Not bad, but you left the drive-in classic:

Bid Bad Mama.

* kill-files, watch-lists, favorites, and more.. www.recgroups.com
Bill Hartwick
- LA Confidential
John_Brian_K
2008-12-29 16:30:53 UTC
Post by Irish Mike
1. Citizen Kane
Never saw it.
Post by Irish Mike
2. Godfather
Never saw it.
Post by Irish Mike
3. Casablanca
Never saw it.
Post by Irish Mike
4. Raging Bull
Never saw it.
Post by Irish Mike
6. Singin' In The Rain
Never saw it.
Post by Irish Mike
7. Gone With The Wind
Never saw it.
Post by Irish Mike
8. Lawrence Of Arabia
Never saw it.
Post by Irish Mike
9. Schindler's List
What a depressing fucking movie. Worse than ANY zombie/scary movie I have
EVER seen.
Post by Irish Mike
10. Vertigo
Never saw it.
Post by Irish Mike
11. Wizard Of Oz
Top 10 movie IMO.
Post by Irish Mike
12. City Lights (1931)
Never saw it.
Post by Irish Mike
13. Searchers
Never saw it.
Post by Irish Mike
14. Starwars
I love Star Wars. Top 10 movie though? It gives me the warm and fuzzies
inside because it reminds me of childhood, but top 10 movie ever?
Post by Irish Mike
15. Psycho
Guy dresses like mom and is skitzo <yawn> big deal.
Post by Irish Mike
16. A Space Odyssey
Never saw it.
Post by Irish Mike
17. Sunset Blvd.
Never saw it.
Post by Irish Mike
18. The Graduate
Never saw it.
Post by Irish Mike
19. The General (1927)
Never saw it.
Post by Irish Mike
20. On The Waterfront
Never saw it.
Post by Irish Mike
21. It's A Wonderful Life
Complete opposite of Schindlers list.
Post by Irish Mike
22. Chinatown
Never saw it.
Post by Irish Mike
23. Some Like It Hot
Marilyn Monroe is sweet.
Post by Irish Mike
24. The Grapes Of Wrath
Never saw it.
Post by Irish Mike
25. E.T. The Extraterrestrial
Before there was a 'formula' to releasing a movie to theaters and then
going to tape/dvd I went and saw this movie at the theater everytime they
re released it with my mother. Very good movie.
Post by Irish Mike
26. To Kill A Mockingbird
Never saw it.
Post by Irish Mike
27. Mr. Smith Goes To Washington
Never saw it.
Post by Irish Mike
28. High Noon
Never saw it.
Post by Irish Mike
29. All About Eve
Never saw it.
Post by Irish Mike
30. Double Indemnity
Never saw it.
Post by Irish Mike
31. Apocalypse Now
Good movie in the morning.
Post by Irish Mike
51. Lord Of The Rings
Underrated. Good story, good acting, good everything.
Post by Irish Mike
54. The Deer Hunter
Good movie, but the hype over it confuses me.
Post by Irish Mike
57. Jaws
The boat scene when Quint describes his Navy years is chilling.
Post by Irish Mike
58. Rocky
Underdog.
Post by Irish Mike
67. Raiders Of The Lost Ark
Good movie.
Post by Irish Mike
72. Saving Private Ryan
Opening scene anyone? The whole movie was very well done.
Post by Irish Mike
73. Shawshank Redemption
What a classic. I had NO IDEA about the ending, but I loved it.
Post by Irish Mike
75. Silence Of The Lambs
Good acting.
Post by Irish Mike
77. Forrest Gump
Good movie.
Post by Irish Mike
84. Titanic
I liked it. I don't care if I already knew the ending or it was a chick
flick.
Post by Irish Mike
88. 12 Angry Men
WHAT a movie THIS was. Talk about a good old school movie. How can you
not be captivated by this movie?
Post by Irish Mike
93. Goodfellas
Gotta love it. I hate that he got mixed up in coke though.
Post by Irish Mike
95. Pulp Fiction
meh. Good movie, but top 100?

There are SOOOO many that got missed, but I will through an old school,
not as popular or obvious choice and say The Great Escape (Steve McQueen)

Raider Fan
2008-12-29 19:36:32 UTC
Post by John_Brian_K
Post by Irish Mike
1. Citizen Kane
Never saw it.
See it.
Post by John_Brian_K
Post by Irish Mike
2. Godfather
Never saw it.
OMG! See it tonight! Get Godfather 2 while you're at it.
Post by John_Brian_K
Post by Irish Mike
3. Casablanca
Never saw it.
See it.
Post by John_Brian_K
Post by Irish Mike
4. Raging Bull
Never saw it.
See it soon.
Post by John_Brian_K
Post by Irish Mike
6. Singin' In The Rain
Never saw it.
See it with the fiance.
Post by John_Brian_K
Post by Irish Mike
7. Gone With The Wind
Never saw it.
OMG! See it tomorrow night with the fiance.
Post by John_Brian_K
Post by Irish Mike
18. The Graduate
Never saw it.
See it.
Post by John_Brian_K
Post by Irish Mike
22. Chinatown
Never saw it.
See it.
Post by John_Brian_K
Post by Irish Mike
26. To Kill A Mockingbird
Never saw it.
See it.

JBK, if anybody ever needed a membership to Blockbuster or Netflix, it's
you. I don't have the energy to go through the whole list, but based on
your history here, I know without a doubt that you would enjoy all the
movies I recommend here.

--------
Peg Smith
2008-12-29 19:56:25 UTC
On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 11:36:32 -0800, "Raider Fan"
Post by Raider Fan
Post by John_Brian_K
Post by Irish Mike
7. Gone With The Wind
Never saw it.
OMG! See it tomorrow night with the fiance.
Read the book, it's wonderful. I hate the movie (although I'll still
watch bits and pieces of it now and then in reruns just because Clark
Gable is so nice to look at). I don't like the movie because so much
had to be left out of the book that I thought was important (such as
her other children, the details of the war and the deprivations it
caused the South, details about the other characters, etc), and
because much of Scarlett's niceness was ignored in order to exaggerate
her rottenness. Yeah, she was hard and insensitive, but there was much
about her that I liked that wasn't shown in the movie.

It just couldn't be done well in four hours. Of course, the miniseries
hadn't been invented then, but it would have served the story very
well.

Peg
Raider Fan
2008-12-29 20:54:44 UTC
Post by Raider Fan
Post by John_Brian_K
Post by Irish Mike
[...]
As usual, I agree with all of this. The book was amazing. I haven't read
it in over 20 years, so I may take that on soon. It's still a great movie
though.

* kill-files, watch-lists, favorites, and more.. www.recgroups.com
John_Brian_K
2008-12-29 21:12:53 UTC
Post by Peg Smith
It just couldn't be done well in four hours. Of course, the miniseries
hadn't been invented then, but it would have served the story very
well.
Peg
As usual the movie is nowhere near as good as the book. It makes me
wonder why I ALWAYS want a movie adaptation of a good book I have read.

One of the first novels I ever read (recreationally) was Misery-Stephen
King. I actually read it with my mother. I lived at home at the time and
I would have my place marker and she had hers. We would talk about the
book as we were reading it. She was way ahead of me in the book and I
think she was going very slow for her as well.

The book was REALLY good though, and while the movie is better than some
book adaptations it still missed the mark.

funky cold medina
2008-12-30 00:21:28 UTC
Post by Peg Smith
On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 11:36:32 -0800, "Raider Fan"
Read the book, it's wonderful. I hate the movie (although I'll still
watch bits and pieces of it now and then in reruns just because Clark
Gable is so nice to look at). I don't like the movie because so much
had to be left out of the book that I thought was important (such as
her other children, the details of the war and the deprivations it
caused the South, details about the other characters, etc), and
because much of Scarlett's niceness was ignored in order to exaggerate
her rottenness. Yeah, she was hard and insensitive, but there was much
about her that I liked that wasn't shown in the movie.
Peg
My girlfriend is a fanatic for the book. FANATIC. I never read it,
and was so-so on the film...

But I like the author's personal story. A lot. Margaret Mitchell
wrote the book in secret when she was 36 and layed up in a tiny
apartment with a broken ankle. She was bored and kept the work hidden
from her friends. Many of the characters are loosely based on people
she knew -- her first husband's name was Red and he was a bootlegger,
his last words spoken to her...? "I don't give a damn."

:)
John_Brian_K
2008-12-30 14:59:52 UTC
:)
Nadia's cousin came over last night. She is in town from New York for the
holidays. We talked about a bunch of different things and somehow movies
came up. They got all gaga over the thornbirds. I remember how it came
up. Anyone seen those commercials of those stupid blanket/coat couch
throw that lets your hands be free to use the remote and shit? She
laughed and said the guy with the maroon one on looked like the guy from
the Thornbirds.

Anyway they started talking about it and it sounds like a chick flick, but
I figured what the hell so i went on Amazon and ordered it (along with a
few new books).

Anyone seen it? Is it some kind of classic like they were making it sound?

I did find out the leading man is the same guy from the Allan Quartermain
movies which is pretty cool. Quartermain would kick the hell out of
Indiana Jones.

John_Brian_K
2008-12-29 20:23:43 UTC
Post by Raider Fan
JBK, if anybody ever needed a membership to Blockbuster or Netflix, it's
you. I don't have the energy to go through the whole list, but based on
your history here, I know without a doubt that you would enjoy all the
movies I recommend here.
Yeah I was actually surprised when I looked at the list and kept thinking
'I never saw that'.

The funny thing is I consider myself a movie buff. I have about 100 DVD's
and I grew up in a house where my dad was at the cutting edge of
technology and had 2 VCR's and recorded every movie we ever rented. We
had thousands of movies.

The fiance does not get into movies though. I got her to sit through The
Dark Knight yesterday, but just barely. She kept falling asleep and I had
to wake her up.

We go to the movies once a month or so, but I could go to the movie
theater 2-3 times a week easy.

----
looking for a better newsgroup-reader? - www.recgroups.com
Martin D
2008-12-30 04:36:17 UTC
If I had to imagine a list of Greatest Films assembled by a group of
white American males under the age of 40, this list would be it.
John_Brian_K
2008-12-30 14:52:55 UTC
You know a good 'foreign' film? I was watching Starz a few weeks back
(flipping through the stations) and got a glimpse of a tall blond beauty
speaking French so naturally I stopped the channel surfing for a few
seconds to check it out. I didn't end up changing the channel.

It was called Angel A

A play on Angela and angel. She was an angel in the movie or was she?
Check it out.

Old Wolf
2008-12-31 09:17:47 UTC
      1.   Citizen Kane
This movie is shallow crap. "Critics" wank all over it
just for social one-upmanship with each other. A good
sign that someone can actually watch a movie and
evaluate it for themself -- as opposed to parroting
someone else's opinion -- is that they don't fall over
themself praising Citizen Kane.
Travel