Foxwoods Spread Limit 7-Stud
adblock
2004-07-12 19:35:25 UTC
I'll be traveling up to Foxwoods again this weekend and wanted to get some
opinions on the low-limit 7-stud games. I understand they spread 1-3 and
1-5 games and was wondering if anyone had strong feelings either way on
which game to play. Are there any key strategy differences between these
two games? I've never played 7-stud in a B&M before but have put some time
into it online lately and read some books (Ashley Adams). Also, those long
lines to get seated at a hold 'em table on a Saturday are the perfect
opportunity to try a little stud. Thanks in advance for your help. And if
anyone will be up there this weekend and feels like saying hello, I'll be
wearing a Jack Daniels visor playing low limit stud or 2-4/4-8 hold em.

Adam

Posted using RecPoker.com - http://www.recpoker.com
Marty
2004-07-12 20:21:57 UTC
The 1-5 stud at Foxwoods has a .50 ante, while the 1-3 has no ante.

The low limit players there are totally clueless. They will call a raise
from an Ace door card (even from a tight player) all the way to the
river with nothing. Try playing Aces 5 way and winning.

Also, the rake is a killer. They take the first dollar out on the first
call, even if the pot is $2.

* Free $30 for Pacific Poker at http://www.liveactionpoker.com/free30
Stephen Jacobs
2004-07-12 21:27:22 UTC
As I've put people to sleep already by repeating, loose passive $1-5 is a
special case in poker. While the play is horrible, at least $1-3 has
something in common with other poker games you're likely to play soon. With
some bankroll, I'd suggest dipping your toe in $1-3 and moving to $5/10 as
soon as you're comfortable. Remember that 7-card stud is a game where
re-draws matter a lot.

If you want to play $1-5, I suggest trying to turn it into $3/5 split limit
whenever you're in a hand. You really don't want to let good card readers
control the action...unless you are one yourself; then try to hang around
cheaply and trap the second-best hands or bluff the unimproved pairs out of
smallish pots.
Linda K Sherman
2004-07-12 22:12:07 UTC
Post by adblock
I'll be traveling up to Foxwoods again this weekend and wanted to get some
opinions on the low-limit 7-stud games. I understand they spread 1-3 and
1-5 games and was wondering if anyone had strong feelings either way on
which game to play. Are there any key strategy differences between these
two games? I've never played 7-stud in a B&M before but have put some time
into it online lately and read some books (Ashley Adams). Also, those long
lines to get seated at a hold 'em table on a Saturday are the perfect
opportunity to try a little stud. Thanks in advance for your help. And if
anyone will be up there this weekend and feels like saying hello, I'll be
wearing a Jack Daniels visor playing low limit stud or 2-4/4-8 hold em.
I've never played at Foxwoods, but if the rake in the 1-5 game is
typical, you'd be better off playing video poker while waiting for your
hold'em seat.

Lin
--
Linda K. Sherman
linsherman [atsign] tampabay [stop] rr [stop] com
John Kerry for President.
pimp-dollar
2004-07-13 11:57:44 UTC
Post by Linda K Sherman
I've never played at Foxwoods, but if the rake in the 1-5 game is
typical, you'd be better off playing video poker while waiting for your
hold'em seat.
That's just plain silly.

I play the 1-5 stud game there all the time. It is extremely profitable!
Calling stations galore. If you have a hand before 4'th street, just
raise $3, you will get 6 callers. Then they feel pot committed and you
can bet 5 all the way to the river, they never fold! I have found it
almost impossible to lose if you play a sensible game because the other
players are just so bad, mostly old retirees who ain't as sharp as they
used to be. I also find that they will draw all the way to the biggest
long shots and fold to a bet on the river when they miss, so always bet
the river, especially if you don't have anything and you're heads up or
three handed. Pot odds ain't in their vocabulary. The only drawback of
the game is the 50 cent ante. If the cards run cold, your stack will melt
away, but they would have to run REALLY cold. I would not recomend the
1-3 stud, waste of time, just not enough money. The great thing about 1-5
is that it often plays like the 1-3 but you can really pop em if you have
a big hand.

Posted using RecPoker.com - http://www.recpoker.com