"The Sheik" Gossip
chaucerchick
2005-11-14 11:15:17 UTC
I heard this from my upstairs neighbor who is a tattoo artist at one of the
shops that the Sheik owns. He said that Shawn was driving drunk while
leaving the Bellagio and hit & killed a nun, then his family paid millions in
damages and to cover it up. I googled it and found this story from the July 1999
Las Vegas Sun:

http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stories/special/1999/jul/09/509028985.html
"One of the two deaths attributed to the storm was the result of an auto
accident just after 11 a.m., when a car hydroplaned in the northwest part of the
valley.
A Mercedes, driven by Las Vegan Shahram Sheikhan, 29, was traveling at speeds
too fast for the slick road conditions on Buffalo Drive just north of Charleston
Boulevard, Metro Police said.
The Mercedes slid across the raised center median of southbound Buffalo and
struck a Lincoln traveling in the northbound lanes, police said.
The female passenger, 91-year-old Dorathy Ohriner of Las Vegas, died at the
scene, the Clark County Coroner's office said today. The Lincoln was driven by
Neil Ohriner, 66, also of Las Vegas, police said.
Sheikhan and Mr. Ohriner were taken to University Medical Center with moderate
injuries."

Well, in the story the accident takes place far from the Bellagio, and the lady
is not a nun (in fact, in her obituary the next day
http://www.lvrj.com/cgi-bin/printable.cgi?/lvrj_home/1999/Jul-10-Sat-1999/news/1
1531691.html it says she belonged to two synogagues, so maybe she was just a
religious Jew and the facts got twisted in the story I heard). Also, there is no
mention of alcohol, although it does say he was going too fast. The story says
the driver was 29, which would make him 35 now, so I tried to find out how old
the Sheik is to double-check, but couldn't find his age listed anywhere. Not
that there are many Shahram Sheikhans driving Mercedes around Las Vegas but I
wanted to be as sure as possible that it was him. So the story I heard appears
to be partially true. Still somewhat less scandalous than Matasow, though.

Block Lists, Favorites, and more - http://www.recpoker.com
Irish Mike
2005-11-14 15:18:10 UTC
"Still somewhat less scandalous than Matasow, though. "

Really? Last I heard Matasow hadn't killed or injured any one. Sounds like
the "sheik" committed vehicular manslaughter at the very least. He's the
one that should have done jail time.

Irish Mike
cpitt398
The Largest Online Poker Community - http://www.recpoker.com
Irish Mike
2005-11-14 15:56:54 UTC
He was speeding on wet streets. He may or may not have been drinking. He
caused a collision. He hit another car, killed one person and injured
another. The stupid son of a bitch should have gone to jail.

Irish Mike
ContactGSW
2005-11-14 16:54:35 UTC
Post by Irish Mike
He was speeding on wet streets. He may or may not have been drinking. He
caused a collision. He hit another car, killed one person and injured
another. The stupid son of a bitch should have gone to jail.
Irish Mike
No, no this is OK in America, ask Laura Bush she did something similar.

ContactGSW

Chic, it doesn't matter what you do, you're always gonna smell like fish.

---
Rob-L
2005-11-14 17:23:21 UTC
Post by Irish Mike
He was speeding on wet streets. He may or may not have been drinking. He
caused a collision. He hit another car, killed one person and injured
another. The stupid son of a bitch should have gone to jail.
Irish Mike
Agreed. It's not an accident when you are breaking the law by speeding.
Even if he was sober, he was breaking the law by speeding and being stupid
by driving too fast on wet roads. His irresponsibility killed someone, he
should have gone to prison. At the very least he should have had his
license revoked.

But, I keep forgetting this is the U.S. and no one is responsible for
their own actions.

Rob-L in L.V.
(aka UncleTrick)

------
Backslider
2005-11-14 16:38:09 UTC
Post by cpitt398
manslaughter, are you nuts?  He hydroplaned on a wet road during a storm and got
in an accident.
Do you know the definition of manslaughter?

I'm no lawyer.. but from what I understand, if you kill someone during unlawful
activity, or lawful activity performed incorrectly, you can be guilty of
manslaughter.  The part of the article the OP quoted doesn't say he was
speeding, but it did say he was driving too fast for the conditions.  Easily
could be considered manslaughter, it seems.  And before you ask, no, I am not
nuts.

Backslider

Your Online Poker Community - http://www.recpoker.com
Tony Popejoy
2005-11-15 00:23:36 UTC
Post by Backslider
Post by cpitt398
manslaughter, are you nuts?  He hydroplaned on a wet road during a storm and got
in an accident.
Do you know the definition of manslaughter?
     I know that you can't have manslaughter without laughter.

                         T.P.
* New Release: RecPoker.com v2.2 - http://www.recpoker.com

Aodhan
2005-11-14 17:22:45 UTC
manslaughter, are you nuts? He hydroplaned on a wet road during a storm and
got
in an accident.
He was "driving too fast for conditions", which is a ticketable offense.
Here's the definition of vehicular manslaughter : n. the crime of causing
the death of a human being due to illegal driving of an automobile,
including gross negligence, drunk driving, reckless driving or speeding.
Vehicular manslaughter can be charged as a misdemeanor (minor crime with a
maximum punishment of a year in county jail or only a fine) or a felony
(punishable by a term in state prison) depending on the circumstances.
Gross negligence or driving a few miles over the speed limit might be
charged as a misdemeanor, but drunk driving resulting in a fatality is
most likely treated as a felony. Death of a passenger, including a loved
one or friend, can be vehicular manslaughter if due to illegal driving.

The first sentence says it all. If he wasn't drunk, just careless, then it
was probably charged as a misdemeanor, and if he was drunk, it could have
been charged as a felony.

Aodhan

* kill-files, watch-lists, favorites, and more.. www.recgroups.com
ragscollector
2005-11-14 17:48:08 UTC
it might also depend on the state you are in aswell.  Here in NY some under 21
girl had a long island ice tea at a restaurant and got in the car and flipped
it, killing her friend in the process.  She was charged with driving while
impaired and if convicted faces a really tough penalty of...... 15 days in jail
Watch Lists, Block Lists, Favorites - http://www.recpoker.com
Aodhan
2005-11-14 17:59:08 UTC
it might also depend on the state you are in aswell. Here in NY some under
21
girl had a long island ice tea at a restaurant and got in the car and flipped
it, killing her friend in the process. She was charged with driving while
impaired and if convicted faces a really tough penalty of...... 15 days in jail
How old? If she was under 18, then it was probably a plea bargain since
the juvenile record will be expunged anyway. Anything older than 18, and
someone knew where the bodies were buried. :D

Aodhan

-----
* kill-files, watch-lists, favorites, and more.. www.recgroups.com
Irish Mike
2005-11-14 18:10:38 UTC
"She was charged with driving while
impaired and if convicted faces a really tough penalty of...... 15 days in
jail'

I heard about a guy that got drunk, drove his car off a bridge, left the
young girl riding with him to drown, fled the scene and didn't call the cops
for more than 12 hours. They gave him a seat in the Senate.

Irish Mike
Bill Robinette
2005-11-14 20:34:07 UTC
it might also depend on the state you are in aswell. Here in NY some under 21
girl had a long island ice tea at a restaurant and got in the car and flipped
it, killing her friend in the process. She was charged with driving while
impaired and if convicted faces a really tough penalty of...... 15 days in jail
That's ridiculous. Same crap here in VA. We all know it's bad to Drink
and Drive. Why the fuck isn't 15 to 20 in prision. Maybe have some kind
of work release so she could pay for her own incarceration. An absoluty
no driving privlages for 1 year. Get caught driving on a suspended
license lose driving privlages for life. 2nd offense of either DUI or
Driving on Suspended you should face LIFE in prison.
Bill Robinette
2005-11-14 19:48:51 UTC
Post by Aodhan
[...]
A 5 time repeat drunk driver just got convicted of Killing an innocent
teenager. His punishment - Less than 10 years in prision. A 2nd time
offender got less than 2 for killing a woman. Virginia is horrible for
it's drunk driving laws.

It's worse on driving on a suspended license. Less than 20% see any
jail time on a 2nd offense. SOme guy just killed a teen driving on a
suspended license. It was his 4th offense of that. He's looking at less
than 1year in jail.

Innocent victims are killed all the time for some dumbass driving too
fast, drunk or on a suspended license. Family's have to suffer years of
emotional pain while these dumb fucks get to spend little or no time at
all in jail.

However, get caught growing more than 7 plants of marijuana and you'll
go to prision for a long time.
Peg Smith
2005-11-14 21:23:33 UTC
Post by Bill Robinette
A 5 time repeat drunk driver just got convicted of Killing an innocent
teenager.
As opposed to a guilty teenager?

Peg
ChrisBrown
2005-11-14 21:49:01 UTC
Post by Bill Robinette
A 5 time repeat drunk driver just got convicted of Killing an innocent
teenager. His punishment - Less than 10 years in prision. A 2nd time
offender got less than 2 for killing a woman. Virginia is horrible for
it's drunk driving laws.
i think a nice profitable solution would be to force all repeat offenders
to participate in a drunken derby. I'd give them the option of drinking
as much liquor as they'd like for 3-5 hours before the race and for safe
measures, inject some alcohol into their system if they failed to score
high enough on a breathalyzer test 1 hour before race time. that should
guarantee some action. i'd host the event in a major stadium and sell
tickets with the proceeds going to the state. I'd host it like once a
month, once a week in southern states where you have more drunk drivers to
go through.

The way I see it, it's a win win situation.

--------
art_classmn
2005-11-15 00:10:44 UTC
That might explain why he didn't needle Mike M. about his jail time
during the WSOP.