Score one for an armed citizenry
Dave the Clueless
2013-11-10 13:20:29 UTC
http://abcnews.go.com/US/family-kidnapped-louisiana-woman-kills-abductor-daring-rescue/t/story?id=20839241&from=related

The family of a kidnapped Louisiana mother tracked down and killed the
father of her child in the abandoned house where he was allegedly holding
her prisoner, authorities said.

-------
"Everybody has asked the question ... 'What shall we do with the Negro?' I
have had but one answer from the beginning. Do nothing with us! Your doing
with us has already played the mischief with us. Do nothing with us!"
(Frederick Douglass)
h***@gmail.com
2013-11-10 13:52:00 UTC
That's a great story.
da pickle
2013-11-10 14:46:42 UTC
Post by Dave the Clueless
http://abcnews.go.com/US/family-kidnapped-louisiana-woman-kills-abductor-daring-rescue/t/story?id=20839241&from=related
The family of a kidnapped Louisiana mother tracked down and killed the
father of her child in the abandoned house where he was allegedly holding
her prisoner, authorities said.
Reminds me of a story many years ago where a man kidnapped a 12 year old
boy and took him to Texas and molested him but was captured and the
kidnapper/molester was being brought back to Baton Rouge for trial. The
boy was returned to his family.

The father of the boy was in the airport when the guy was brought
through the airport. The father shot him several times and put down the
gun and surrendered. The molester was dead. The grand jury returned a
"no true bill" and the shooter was released to return home to his son.

Not the best way to handle things, of course, but it is nice to know
that the shooter in the story from Lafayette is not likely to be charged
at all.
h***@gmail.com

I've seen the actual news footage of that incident. The boys father shot him once in the head. I would have voted to give the father a medal.
da pickle
2013-11-10 15:54:58 UTC
Post by h***@gmail.com
8:46 AMda pickle
---------------------------------------
I've seen the actual news footage of that incident. The boys father shot him once in the head. I would have voted to give the father a medal.
I do not remember any protest from anyone when the father was not
indicted. The video was much like the Jack Ruby video ... but Jack was
convicted of murder even though his conviction was overturned and there
was never a second trial ... (he died) ... interesting that the Kennedy
stuff is so in the news again this weekend. Both shows tonight are on
my DVR. I reserve judgment on the presentations. [Does Rob Lowe look
much like JFK to you? I think he is a good choice, but we will see. I
wonder if they will let him say "Cuber".]
da pickle
2013-11-10 15:59:24 UTC
Post by da pickle
Post by h***@gmail.com
8:46 AMda pickle
Post by Dave the Clueless
[...]
I found the video ... I was wrong. I am old and my memory is faulty.

The father plead "no contest" to manslaughter and got 5 years probation.
I am still pleased with that result. Perhaps it is better than
getting off completely. We cannot encourage such behavior.

I am not pleased with my memory.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=7f5_1281036313
Observant Lurker
2013-11-10 16:03:08 UTC
Post by Dave the Clueless
The family of a kidnapped Louisiana mother tracked down and killed the
father of her child in the abandoned house where he was allegedly holding
her prisoner, authorities said.
-------
"Everybody has asked the question ... 'What shall we do with the Negro?' I
have had but one answer from the beginning. Do nothing with us! Your doing
with us has already played the mischief with us. Do nothing with us!"
(Frederick Douglass)
If we could only do that with the politicians in DC, our country might
have a chance for the future.

"I tried to sign up my dog for welfare. They told me, he was not eligible.
I replied, that he was lazy; a black lab; unemployed and doesn't know his
daddy.
He gets his welfare beginning next week."
brattt
Remember the Ellie Nesler case years ago in California?
w***@gmail.com
2013-11-11 17:14:32 UTC
Post by Dave the Clueless
"Everybody has asked the question ... 'What shall we do with the Negro?' I
have had but one answer from the beginning. Do nothing with us! Your doing
with us has already played the mischief with us. Do nothing with us!"
(Frederick Douglass)
Nice...

Here's an even better one:

“Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe.”
Frederick Douglass
Bill Vanek
Isn't that the playbook of the Democratic party?
Pepe Papon
2013-11-12 08:03:17 UTC
Post by Bill Vanek
Post by w***@gmail.com
Post by Dave the Clueless
"Everybody has asked the question ... 'What shall we do with the Negro?' I
have had but one answer from the beginning. Do nothing with us! Your doing
with us has already played the mischief with us. Do nothing with us!"
(Frederick Douglass)
Nice...
“Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe.”
Frederick Douglass
Isn't that the playbook of the Democratic party?
Are you on drugs? That's the Republican Party platform.

Pepe Papon
Bill Vanek
2013-11-12 14:44:28 UTC
On Tue, 12 Nov 2013 00:03:17 -0800, Pepe Papon
Post by Pepe Papon
Post by Bill Vanek
Post by w***@gmail.com
Post by Dave the Clueless
"Everybody has asked the question ... 'What shall we do with the Negro?' I
have had but one answer from the beginning. Do nothing with us! Your doing
with us has already played the mischief with us. Do nothing with us!"
(Frederick Douglass)
Nice...
“Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe.”
Frederick Douglass
Isn't that the playbook of the Democratic party?
Are you on drugs? That's the Republican Party platform.
I don't think you've been paying attention. Which party is keeping
blacks on the plantation? Which one controls the schools system,
ensuring that ignorance continues, and that students never learn to
think for themselves? Which one keeps hammering into them the thought
that everything that happens to them is someone else's fault, and that
whitey is the cause of all of their problems?
Pepe Papon
2013-11-13 08:27:51 UTC
Post by Pepe Papon
Post by Bill Vanek
Post by w***@gmail.com
Post by Dave the Clueless
[...]
No party is doing those things. One party, though, is rigging the
system to that more and more wealth is concentrated among fewer and
fewer people. That same party is the anti-science and anti-education
party.

Pepe Papon
brattt
95% of income gains since O took office has gone to the top 1%.
w***@gmail.com
Bill Vanek
2013-11-13 14:05:28 UTC
Post by Pepe Papon
Post by Bill Vanek
Post by w***@gmail.com
Post by Dave the Clueless
[...]
I was right. You haven't been paying attention, and not for the last
50 years or so.
party.
Pepe Papon
2013-11-14 07:35:02 UTC
Post by Bill Vanek
Post by Pepe Papon
Post by Bill Vanek
Post by Pepe Papon
Post by Bill Vanek
Post by w***@gmail.com
[...]
No, you weren't. Your spin on events has nothing to do with me.
Post by Bill Vanek
Post by Pepe Papon
One party, though, is rigging the
system to that more and more wealth is concentrated among fewer and
fewer people. That same party is the anti-science and anti-education
party.
I see you have no response to these facts.

Pepe Papon
Bill Vanek
My response is that they are not facts.
Pepe Papon

w***@gmail.com
2013-11-11 21:52:36 UTC
Post by Dave the Clueless
http://abcnews.go.com/US/family-kidnapped-louisiana-woman-kills-abductor-daring-rescue/t/story?id=20839241&from=related
The family of a kidnapped Louisiana mother tracked down and killed the
father of her child in the abandoned house where he was allegedly holding
her prisoner, authorities said.
If we're keeping score, how do we score these?

Murder, suicide attempt investigation continues
Published: November 11, 2013 3:00AM

A Columbiana County man called Alliance police to report that he murdered his ex-wife before turning a gun on himself when officers arrived at the scene.
+++++++++++

Woman kills husband, self, sheriff’s office says

Monday November 11, 2013 7:30 AM

WOODSTOCK — A woman told 911 that she killed her husband, then fatally shot herself as a Champaign County deputy arrived outside her Woodstock home Saturday evening, authorities said yesterday.
+++++++++++

Coroner: Man kills grandson, takes own life

A Graniteville man, just released from jail, went to the home of his estranged wife on Saturday and shot and killed his grandson, according to the Aiken County Coroner's Office.

He then took his own life, an incident witnessed by an off-duty police officer, according to the report.
+++++++++++
Frederick Douglass
bub
2013-11-12 00:42:07 UTC
On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 13:52:36 -0800 (PST), ***@gmail.com wrote:

Right-to-Carry permit holder stops armed robbers, The Reading Eagle,
Reading, Pa. 11/05/13

A Right-to-Carry permit holder was leaving an apartment in Reading,
Pa. when he noticed that the nearby Krick’s Korner convenience store
was being robbed by a pair of armed and masked men. The permit holder
went to the store’s entrance and ordered the criminals to halt. The
robbers responded by drawing their guns on the permit holder,
prompting the armed citizen to fire on the thieves, killing them.
Following the shooting, Berks County District Attorney John T. Adams
told reporters, “I think that this is an incident where the concerned
citizen acted justifiably under the law.” A woman who lives near the
store told a local media outlet that Krick’s Korner has been the scene
of multiple robberies in recent years.
FULL STORY

November 4, 2013
Female clerk fells armed robber, The Toledo Blade, Toledo, Ohio
11/4/13

An armed robber entered the Stop & Go convenience store in Toledo,
Ohio and got into a confrontation with clerk December Long. At some
point during the attempted robbery, Long was able to retrieve a
firearm, and exchanged gunfire with the criminal. During the exchange,
the armed robber was fatally shot, and Long was wounded. Following
the shooting, a frequent Stop & Go customer told a local media outlet
that Long is “real nice and friendly. Hard-nosed. She doesn’t take
guff from anybody.”
FULL STORY

October 30, 2013
Married couple fights off violent burglars, The Selma Times-Journal,
Selma, Ala. 10/29/13

A married couple was returning to their home in Selmont, Ala. when
they happened upon a pair of burglars. Upon being discovered, one of
the burglars attacked the husband. The husband responded by drawing a
pistol and shooting the attacker, killing him and causing his
accomplice to flee. Following the incident, Sgt. Mike Grantham of
the Dallas County Sheriff’s Department noted, “At this point,
everything that we have found, everything the investigation has turned
up, tells us this was a justified shooting.”
FULL STORY

October 29, 2013
Pizza delivery driver fells robber, The Observer & Eccentric, Detroit,
Mich. 10/25/13

A pizza delivery driver for restaurant Hungry Howie’s was working his
shift in Redford, Mich. when a group of men attempted to rob him. As
the delivery driver was confronted by a member of the group, he drew a
gun and fired at the robber, killing him and causing his accomplices
to flee. Police captured the other thieves a short time later. The
robbers face armed robbery and gun charges, with bail set at $250,000.
FULL STORY

October 24, 2013
Differently abled store owner captures robbers, WATE, Knoxville, Tenn.
October 23, 2013

The wheelchair bound owner of Malone’s Jewelers in Alcoa, Tenn. was
working at his shop when a man entered and began to occupy his
attention. Soon after, another man, who was in league with the first,
entered the store and attempted a robbery. The owner responded to the
threat by retrieving a gun, shooting one of the criminals in the
abdomen, then holding the pair of thieves until police could arrive.
When interviewed by a local media outlet, Det. Kris Sanders of the
Alcoa Police Department said of the owner, “He did a really good job
detaining both individuals until we got there.” The owner has not been
charged.
FULL STORY

October 21, 2013
Pastor halts armed robbery, WFIE, Evansville, Ind. 10/20/13

Pastor Carl Sanders walked into a Dollar General store in Evansville,
Ind. in order to purchase a Gatorade, but ended up stumbling upon an
armed robbery in progress. Shortly after Sanders entered the store,
the thief turned his attention to the pastor, ordering him to the
ground. Sanders responded by drawing a firearm and telling the armed
robber to get on the ground. The thief complied and Sanders held the
man until police could arrive. Sanders took no pleasure in the actions
some have called heroic. When forcing the armed man to the ground,
Sander told the man that his actions were “out of love.” Sanders later
said of the criminal, “He didn’t deserve to be hurt… I wanted him to
know you can’t do this.”
FULL STORY

October 17, 2013
Permit holder thwarts robbery, The Independent Tribune, Concord, N.C.
10/09/13

Gary Spencer was waiting in his truck in the parking lot of a bank, as
his wife deposited a check, when he spotted two men just outside the
bank struggling over a money bag. One of the men had waited while the
other withdrew $5,000 from the bank, and was now using a stun gun to
incapacitate his victim and steal the money. Spencer, who along with
his wife, are Right-to-Carry permit holders, drew a .380 pistol from
his wife’s purse, ran to the site of the attack and confronted the
robber. Upon seeing Spencer’s gun, the criminal fled without the cash.
Following the incident, Spencer said to a local media outlet of his
actions, “Do you want to help somebody if they’re in need of help, or
are you going to turn your head… and act like it’s not going on? I
don’t see it as a hero thing. I just see it as me stepping up for
somebody who needed a hand.”
FULL STORY

October 15, 2013
Homeowner halts burglary, The Tulsa World, Tulsa, Okla. 10/12/13

A homeowner in Tulsa, Okla. was returning home from a walk when he
became aware of an intruder who had broken into his house. The
homeowner retrieved a gun, found the burglar and fired at him,
striking him three times. The criminal was taken to a local hospital
with life-threatening injuries.
FULL STORY

October 9, 2013
Man defends children from violent dog, NBC, Los Angeles, Calif.
10/07/13

Two children were outside on a public street in San Bernardino, Calif.
when a pit bull attacked them. As the children tried to escape from
the dog, the children’s aunt picked up a toy scooter and attempted to
use it to fight the dog off. A neighbor noticed the attack, retrieved
a gun, and shot and killed the dog. Following the incident, the aunt
explained to a reporter that she was fearful for the children’s lives
and said that the armed citizen is a hero. One of the children was
taken to a local hospital for her injuries, but is now fine.
FULL STORY

October 7, 2013
Business owner protects friends and family from armed robbers, KTRK,
Houston, Texas 10/05/13

Mack Agaybi was inside the back office of his car dealership, A B
Motors, in Houston, Texas when he spotted two armed men entering his
store on a surveillance camera. Agaybi retrieved a gun, went to the
front of the store, which was filled with friends and family members,
and fired at the criminals, causing them to flee. Following the
shootout, Agaybi realized his friend had been shot in the fracas and
immediately put him into his car and drove to a local clinic. The
friend is expected to survive. Agaybi told reporters that without his
gun, he, his friends, and family members would have been killed.
FULL STORY

October 4, 2013
Business owner fells one intruder and captures another, The Seattle
Times, Seattle, Wash. October 2, 2013

The owner of Frager Farm Stand and Fruit Tree Nursery in Kent, Wash.
was about to go to bed when he heard a suspicious noise at his
business, which is right next to his home. The owner retrieved a
shotgun, went to investigate, and discovered a pair of intruders
inside the farm stand’s office. The owner shot and killed one of the
criminals and held the other at gunpoint until police could arrive.
The break-in was the second in as many days for the farm stand. An
investigation revealed that the surviving burglar was facing a
domestic violence charge and had a recent history of drug use.
FULL STORY

October 2, 2013
Elderly woman scares off home invader, The Times and Democrat,
Orangeburg, S.C. 10/01/13

An 85-year-old woman was asleep at home in Orangeburg County, S.C.
when she awakened to the sound of her dog barking. The woman retrieved
a gun, went to investigate, and discovered an intruder inside her
home. The woman asked the intruder, “what are you doing in my house?”
The criminal refused to answer or move, prompting the woman to fire at
the home invader, which caused him to flee.
FULL STORY

September 26, 2013
Convenience store owner holds robber for police, The St. Louis
Dispatch, St. Louis, Mo. 09/24/13

A robber entered the Raetta Quick Stop convenience store in House
Springs, Mo. displayed a gun and demanded money from the clerk. The
clerk complied with the demand, but the owner of the store retrieved a
handgun and confronted the criminal. The owner was able to hold the
robber at gunpoint until police could arrive, without anyone getting
hurt.
FULL STORY

September 24, 2013
Retired federal agent fights off robber, KHOU, Houston, Texas 09/16/13

A family was returning home from a funeral when a masked and armed
robber approached them in the driveway of one of their houses in
Harris County, Texas and demanded cash. The brother-in-law of the
homeowner, a retired federal agent, responded to the threat by drawing
a gun and firing at the thief, striking him twice and causing him to
flee. The robber was captured a short time later after seeking
treatment at a nearby hospital. The retired agent’s actions seem to
have inspired at least one of his brother-in-law’s neighbors who told
a local media outlet, “I might start taking gun classes for
protection.” Investigators believe the thief may have been involved in
other robberies earlier in the evening.
FULL STORY

September 19, 2013
Convenience store owner fights off armed robbers, WHIO, Dayton, Ohio
09/15/13, 09/16/13

Two men, at least one of whom was armed with a gun, entered the 3rd
Base Drive Thru convenience store in Dayton, Ohio and attempted to rob
the store. Store owner Thomas Mauro was in an office in the rear of
the store when he spotted the pair on a surveillance feed. Mauro
retrieved a gun and fired at the criminals, striking one in the chest
and causing both to flee. The wounded robber only made it to the
restaurant next door before collapsing. When interviewed by a local
media outlet, Dayton Police Lieutenant Donald Burden stated that it is
unlikely the store owner will face charges.
FULL STORY

September 18, 2013
77-year-old man defends home from burglar, The Missoulian, Missoula,
Mont. 09/16/13

A man approached the home of a 77-year-old man in Missoula, Mont. and
threw a chair through a window to gain access to the house. Upon
becoming aware of the intruder, the homeowner retrieved a gun and
fired at the burglar, striking him once. Once authorities arrived, the
wounded man was taken to a local hospital where he is expected to
survive. Missoula Detective Sgt. Scott Pastian noted that police
suspect drugs may have been a factor in the attempted burglary.
FULL STORY

September 13, 2013
Pharmacist protects himself and employee from machete-wielding robber,
KATV, Little Rock, Ark. 09/05/13

Owner Andy Blansett and employee Melanie Miller were working at the
Medicine Shoppe pharmacy in North Little Rock, Ark. when a man came in
and demanded painkillers. The man then drew a machete, intimidated
Miller and attempted to climb over the pharmacy’s counter. In
response, Blansett retrieved a .45-caliber pistol and pointed it at
the thief, causing him to flee. Drug thieves beware, in an interview
with a local media outlet Blansett noted, “All of the independently
owned pharmacists I know carry a concealed [weapon] on them or have
one in the store.”
FULL STORY

September 12, 2013
Pregnant woman scares off burglars, KGBT, Harlingen, Texas 09/09/13

A pregnant woman was inside her home in Palmview, Texas when a pair of
burglars approached the house. One thief went to the front door and
rang the doorbell, while the other moved to a back door. After
spotting the burglars, the homeowner retrieved a handgun and the
telephone, and called the police. Eventually the woman fired at the
intruders, causing them to flee. The thieves were captured a short
time later after police cornered them in a nearby home. Following the
incident, the homeowner told a reporter that she had initially been
against her husband purchasing the handgun she used to defend herself,
but noted that after the shooting she told him, “thank you for doing
that.”
FULL STORY

September 11, 2013
Armed driver stops carjackers, WECT, Wilmington, N.C.09/05/13

A man was driving his truck with the windows down through Wilmington,
N.C. when a pair of robbers approached him while the vehicle was
stopped. One of the thieves grabbed the driver’s arm, pointed a gun at
him and said, “Give me your truck.” The driver responded by retrieving
a pistol and pointing it at the carjackers, causing them to flee.
FULL STORY

September 6, 2013
Armed homeowner ends wild crime spree, KCTV, Kansas City, Mo. 09/05/13

A man was at home asleep with his wife and child in their Kansas City,
Mo. home when the family was awakened by a suspicious noise. The man
retrieved a shotgun, went to investigate, and discovered a burglar who
had broken into the home’s garage. The homeowner fired at the
intruder, killing him. The shooting ended a lengthy crime spree
perpetrated by the burglar that included the theft of three cars, one
by a carjacking at gunpoint, and another burglary.
FULL STORY

September 5, 2013
Veteran thwarts liquor store robbery, The Springfield News-Leader,
Springfield, Mo. 09/03/13

Jon Alexander was clerking at the Beer 30 liquor store in Marionville,
Mo. when a man entered the store, drew a gun, and pointed it at him.
Alexander, a 30-year military veteran who served four tours in Iraq,
immediately pushed the robber’s gun away with his left hand, drew a
pistol with his right, and pointed it at the thief’s head, causing the
robber to flee the store. Following the incident, the owner of the
store, Jeannine Dawson, spoke with a local media outlet. Dawson
explained that Alexander acted just as she would have predicted during
the robbery, and stated that she enjoyed showing her friends the
surveillance footage of the confrontation, noting, “They’re shocked
when they see the robber pull a gun, but then they’re just delighted
when Jon stops him.”
FULL STORY

August 30, 2013
73-year-old retired teacher defends himself and a neighbor from an
intruder, The Sun-Sentinel, Palm Beach, Fla. 08/29/13, WFOR-TV, Miami,
Fla. 08/28/13

A 73-year-old retired teacher was at home in Oakland Park, Fla. when a
burglar smashed a window to gain access to the house. The homeowner
retrieved a gun, went to investigate, and discovered the thief just
outside the home, carrying a TV and attacking a neighbor intent on
reporting the crime. The homeowner fired at the criminal, striking him
several times and causing him to flee to a nearby getaway vehicle. A
short time later, police found the getaway vehicle wrecked, with the
thief still inside it, about a mile away. The homeowner made clear to
a local media outlet that he did not relish being forced to defend
himself and his neighbor, but one of his friends offered effusive
praise, stating, “Good for him; wonderful. I wish more people would do
that. It’s ridiculous for people to break into homes and think they
can get away with it.” The Broward County State Attorney’s Office may
look into the shooting, but Broward County Sheriff’s Spokesman Mike
Jachles indicated that charges were unlikely, telling reporters, “It
appears this was a justifiable shooting... Every indication is that
the homeowner was defending himself, his property and his neighbor
from being attacked by the intruder.” The intruder faces charges of
burglary of an occupied dwelling and grand theft.
FULL STORY

August 29, 2013
Liquor store owner fights off armed robbers, WMAZ, Macon, Ga. 08/27/13

A pair of men, at least one of whom was armed, entered the Helena
Package Store in Helena, Ga. and confronted the woman who owns the
store. The owner responded by retrieving a handgun and firing at the
intruders, striking one and causing the other to flee. The wounded man
was taken to a local hospital where he is listed as in stable
condition and faces armed robbery charges. Helena Police Chief Glenn
Giles has made clear that the store owner will not face charges.
FULL STORY

August 26, 2013
Pizza deliveryman thwarts attempted robbery, Space Coast Daily,
Brevard County, Fla. 08/24/13

A pizza deliveryman was getting into his car following a delivery to a
motel in West Melbourne, Fla. when a man armed with a knife confronted
him and demanded cash. The delivery driver responded by retrieving a
gun and firing at the criminal, killing him. An investigation revealed
that the deceased criminal had a criminal record that included
aggravated battery, armed robbery, and false imprisonment. Following
the incident, Brevard County Sheriff Wayne Ivy noted, “Preliminary
evidence in the case demonstrates that the intended victim of the
robbery acted in self-defense while being robbed by a violent criminal
who was armed with a knife.”
FULL STORY

August 23, 2013
Bar owner defends himself and customers from armed robbery, The
Journal Sentinel, Milwaukee Wis. 08/16/13 and 12/21/08, TMJ4,
Milwaukee, Wis. 08/20/13

Three men armed with what appeared to be real guns, but were later
determined to be air pistols, entered the Concertina Beer Hall in
Milwaukee, Wis. and demanded cash. Owner Andy Kochanski responded by
retrieving a gun and firing at the criminals, striking one and causing
the others to flee. A former firefighter, Kochanski administered CPR
to the wounded criminal before authorities could arrive at the scene,
but the robber later died. Kochanski later told a media outlet, in
regards to his attempt to save the criminal, “That's who I am, you
know. I'm a firefighter, even though I don't have my badge anymore. I
always will be a firefighter.” The following night Kochanski reopened
his bar and was greeted by a throng of well-wishers. Milwaukee Country
prosecutors have noted that Kochanski will not face charges. The
incident was the second time in five years that Kochanski was forced
to protect himself, his customers and his bar. At a 2008 Christmas
party at the beer hall Kochanski was forced to fire a .45-caliber
pistol at a pair of robbers toting a sawed-off shotgun.
FULL STORY

August 21, 2013
Elderly man protects himself and wife from escaped inmate, The Des
Moines Register, Des Moines, Iowa 08/20/13

Jerome and Carolyn Mauderly were asleep at home in Bedford, Iowa when
an armed criminal broke into their house and held the elderly couple
hostage. The criminal was Rodney Eugene Long, a convicted felon and
escaped inmate from the nearby Clarinda Correctional Facility, who
police believe shot a Taylor County Sheriff’s Deputy a day earlier,
and who was the subject of an extensive manhunt. After being held
captive for four hours, Jerome took an opportunity to retrieve a
shotgun kept in the home. After getting hold of the shotgun, Jerome
shot and killed Long. As an escaped prisoner, Long made a terrible
choice of victims; Jerome Mauderly is a retired prison guard. However,
Long might not have had much luck choosing another household to
victimize in Bedford, as a pair of waitresses interviewed at the local
Junction Café during the manhunt explained to a reporter that their
loved ones were aware of the fugitive, armed, and prepared for the
worst.
FULL STORY

August 19, 2013
Female clerk thwarts knife-wielding robber, The Republican,
Springfield, Mass. 08/19/13, The Recorder, Greenfield, Mass. 08/16/13

A female employee was clerking at the Spirit Shoppe package store in
Sunderland, Mass. when a masked man armed with a large knife entered
the store and demanded cash. The employee responded to the threat by
retrieving a gun, causing the criminal to flee the scene.
FULL STORY

August 15, 2013
Wife protects husband from robbers at restaurant, KPRC, Houston, Texas
08/08/13

A woman and her family were dining at a Denny’s in Houston, Texas when
a group of six men armed with guns attempted to rob her husband while
she was in the restroom. When the woman exited the restroom and
spotted the hold-up, she drew a pistol and exchanged gunfire with the
criminals, causing them to flee. Following the incident, a local media
outlet spoke with the victim’s brother who noted that his brother’s
wife is a Right-to-Carry permit holder. The brother went on to add,
“Self-defense saved my brother’s life.”
FULL STORY

August 14, 2013
Resident of student apartment complex fights off home invader, WTVD,
Raleigh, N.C. 08/2/13, The News Observer, Raleigh, N.C. 08/10/13

Vincent Reed Bellamy was at home in a student apartment complex in
Raleigh, N.C. at around 1:45 a.m. when an armed intruder broke into
the dwelling. Bellamy responded to the threat by shooting the
criminal, and then triggering a fire alarm to call for help. When
police arrived they found the home invader dead in a nearby hallway.
Following an investigation, Wake County Prosecutor Colleen Janssen
made clear that Bellamy would not face charges. Janssen explained to a
local media outlet the laws that protect residents like Bellamy,
stating, “Those laws were put in place to protect homeowners or
residents of homes when they protect themselves against intruders… and
that’s exactly what I see as having happened here.”
FULL STORY

August 8, 2013
Gas station employee halts knife-wielding man, WKYT, Lexington, Ky.
08/04/13

An employee of a Marathon gas station in Lexington, Ky. confronted a
man who was urinating on the outside of the building. The public
urinator responded to the employee with racial slurs, drew a knife and
moved towards the employee. The employee, and Right-to-Carry permit
holder, countered by drawing a pistol and firing a shot. Startled by
the shot, the criminal inadvertently stabbed himself with his own
knife, requiring medical attention at a nearby hospital. Police told a
local media outlet that they will not charge the employee.
FULL STORY

August 6, 2013
Pawn shop employee fells robber, WWJ, Detroit, Mich. 08/01/13

Three armed men entered the Detroit Pawn Shop in Hamtramck, Mich. and
attempted to rob the store. A store employee responded to the threat
by firing at the criminals, killing one and ending the robbery.
Following the incident, Hamtramck Police Chief Max Garbarino noted
that the shooting appeared to be a case of self-defense. Garbarino
went on to tell a local news outlet, “Frankly, I’ll be honest, it’s
pretty stupid for anyone to try and rob someone in Hamtramck... Most
of … our store owners are armed."
FULL STORY

August 1, 2013
Right-to-Carry permit holder defends himself and friend from violent
attack, The Cleveland Plain Dealer, Cleveland, Ohio July 29, 2013

Timothy Peak and a female companion were getting inside a car in his
driveway in Cleveland, Ohio when a pair of armed and masked men
confronted them. After one of the criminals pistol-whipped Peak, the
homeowner and Right-to-Carry permit holder retrieved a handgun from
his car and fired at his attacker multiple times, killing him. The
deceased criminal’s accomplice managed to escape the scene with Peak’s
companion’s purse. Following the incident, Cleveland Councilman Mike
Polensek showed support for Peak’s actions, stating “As far as I’m
concerned, [the criminal] got exactly what he deserved… lead
poisoning.” Polensek went on to say of the homeowner, “If he hadn’t
had that gun, we’d be reading about him in a two paragraph story in
the paper as another innocent victim of violent criminals looking to
prey on him like jackals. [the criminal] picked on the wrong man this
time.”
FULL STORY

July 26, 2013
Homeowner aids police in capture of burglar, KHOU, Houston, Texas
07/25/13

A homeowner was at his house in Houston, Texas when he noticed a
burglar on his property attempting to steal an air conditioning unit.
The homeowner retrieved a gun and confronted the criminal, and fired
one shot at him, but missed. After firing at the thief, the homeowner
called the police and followed the criminal as he fled, eventually
helping police to locate him. Following the incident, police credited
the homeowner with helping them find the burglar and made clear to a
local media outlet that “the homeowner was legally armed.”
FULL STORY

July 24, 2013
Clerk thwarts robbery, KHOU, Houston, Texas, 07/19/13

Noman Ali was a working the register at a Fuel Expo in Houston, Texas
when a man brought some beer to the counter, drew a gun, and demanded
cash. Ali handed over some money, but then retrieved a gun and fired
at the criminal, striking the robber multiple times before he fled to
a nearby car. As he was making his getaway, the criminal crashed his
vehicle into a ditch, then attempted to force at least one passerby at
gunpoint to take him to a hospital. However, before anyone else could
be hurt, police captured the gunman. Ali harbors no ill will towards
the criminal, telling a local media outlet, “Crime needs to be stopped
and [that’s] it, my goal [was] not to kill him… I’m good, the
customers are good. Hopefully he’s good too.”
FULL STORY

July 18, 2013
Man saves family from armed attackers, WEWS, Cleveland, Ohio, 07/16/13

Jacquella Lattimore was leaving her home in Cleveland, Ohio to take
her children to camp when three armed men confronted the family. One
of the gunmen took the children to the home’s garage while the other
two criminals attempted to force Lattimore into the house. The gunmen
were unaware that Lattimore’s fiancé, Johnny Bridges, was watching the
scene unfold and was armed with a gun. Bridges fired at one of the
criminals forcing his fiance into the home, striking him and causing
all three to flee. The trio was captured by police a short time later.
Following the incident, Cleveland Councilman Mike Polensek expressed
his support for Bridges actions, telling a local news outlet, “Whoever
shot this dirt bag ought to get a medal… I might get a proclamation
for him.” But even with the councilman’s words of support Bridges
remained humble, telling a reporter, “Right now I don’t consider
myself a hero… I just wanted to make sure my family was alright.”
FULL STORY

July 17, 2013
Pawn shop clerk fights off armed robber, WKMG, Orlando, Fla. 07/05/13

An armed robber wearing a shirt on his head entered the Queen of Pawns
pawnshop in Kissimmee, Fla. and demanded cash from two employees. A
clerk on duty responded to the threat by retrieving a gun and firing
at the criminal, causing him to flee. One employee suffered a minor
injury during the incident and was taken to a local hospital.
FULL STORY

July 16, 2013
Business owner confronts pair of metal thieves, MyFOX8, Greensboro,
N.C. 07/08/13

The owner of Hall Well & Plumbing in Reidsville, N.C. was at his home
when an alarm installed at his business alerted him to a break-in. The
owner retrieved a gun, went to his business to investigate, and came
upon a pair of criminals attempting to steal two rolls of copper wire
valued at nearly $5,000. When the criminals spotted the owner, one of
them charged, forcing the owner to shoot and kill him. The deceased
robber’s accomplice fled, but was captured by police several hours
later. Following the incident, Rockingham County Sheriff Sam Page
noted, “At this time all indications are (the business owner) was
acting in a manner of self-defense,” with deputies adding that Hall
Well & Plumbing has been burglarized three times this year. The
business owner’s neighbor expressed his support for the armed citizen
after the shooting, stating, “Hate to see anybody get killed, but when
you go to somebody’s place of business and you’re messing with their
livelihood where they make a living… just got to stand your ground and
look after yourself.”
FULL STORY

July 11, 2013
Homeowner fells hatchet-wielding intruder, ABC57, South Bend, Ind.
07/08/13

A homeowner was asleep in his LaPorte County, Ind. home when he was
awakened by the sound of glass breaking. The homeowner retrieved a
pistol, went to investigate, and discovered a hatchet-wielding
intruder inside the house. The armed homeowner responded to the threat
by shooting the criminal in the chest, killing him. Following the
incident, one of the homeowner’s neighbors shared his thoughts on the
matter with a local media outlet, stating, “I have no sympathy for
[the home invader] because if he’s going to take the risk of going in
to someone’s home, you’ve got to take the risk of getting shot.”
FULL STORY

July 9, 2013
Right-to-Carry permit holder stops robbers on spree, WCSC, Charleston,
S.C. 06/28/13

A pair of armed robbers entered a Kangaroo convenience store in Mount
Pleasant, S.C. and demanded money from the clerk. Despite the clerk
complying with the demand, one of the criminals fired at the employee
while leaving, grazing his arm. However, also inside the store was a
Right-to-Carry permit holder, who drew a pistol and confronted the
robbers as they were leaving. Upon seeing the armed citizen, one of
the criminals surrendered and waited for police to arrive, while the
other fled on foot only to be captured by U.S. Marshals the next day.
Following an investigation, law enforcement officials now believes the
duo is responsible for a rash of convenience store robberies in the
Mount Pleasant area.
FULL STORY

July 8, 2013
Father saves family from violent home invaders, KTRK, Houston, Texas
07/01/13

A father was at home in Houston, Texas with his wife, four children
and the children’s uncle when three armed home invaders entered the
apartment. As the uncle was surrendering to the criminals, the father
retrieved a gun and fired at the intruders, killing two and causing
the third to flee. Police have questioned the armed citizen, but have
made clear to a local media outlet that they believe the father acted
within his rights. In the aftermath of the shooting, the family of the
armed father showed their support, with his son telling reporters that
his father is a “great hero.”
w***@gmail.com
2013-11-12 01:56:49 UTC
Snipped 40 gun hero stories in 4 months time (I counted them)<
Some of these acts of heroism with a gun seem dubious. Like "October 9, 2013
Man defends children from violent dog, NBC, Los Angeles, Calif.
10/07/13". I don't suppose a big stick or a golf club could have done the trick.

Many stories of robbers being thwarted with a gun. Keep in mind, a homicide happens in 0.2% of all robberies, that is the chance of a homicide occurring during an armed robbery is 1:500. BTW where did the robber get his gun?

How far back in time do you think it would it take before the gun tragedies equaled 40? Much less than four months, that's for sure. about 30 gun homicides a day would mean the number of gun tragedies would take no longer than 2 days.

Friday:

A 6-year-old boy was shot and wounded in South Bend, Ind., late Friday, and police believe he was shot by his father during an argument with his brother. A 15-year-old girl was shot and wounded near an elementary school in Broward County, Fla., Friday morning. Six people were shot, three of them fatally, in New York City Thursday. Makeda Elliott, 17, was grazed in the neck when a 17-year-old boy was attempting to shoot another boy in Pembroke Park, Fla., Friday morning. Edward Lee Phillips, 48, was shot three times and killed following an argument in the parking lot of the Fyffe Dollar General store in Fyffe, Ala., Friday night.

Derek Moore, 37, an assistant football coach at Missouri Southern State University, was shot and killed by someone he knew in a movie theater parking lot in Joplin, Mo., Friday night. A man was critically injured in a drive-by shooting in Little Rock, Ark., Friday afternoon. A man in his 20s was shot and wounded in Attleboro, Mass., early Friday, sparking a hostage and standoff situation. 24-year-old Precious Antanaye Jackson was killed in a shooting at a southeast Portland, Ore., apartment complex early Friday, sparking a manhunt that ultimately yielded no suspects.

In two separate incidents in southeast Portland on Friday, 23-year-old Jeray Lashawn Jessie was shot and critically injured, and one person suffered a self-inflicted gunshot wound. An 18-year-old man was found shot and wounded on a sidewalk in Arroyo Grande, Calif., early Friday. Lindsay Roub, 24, was seriously injured when the rifle she was carrying discharged as she handed it to her hunting partner west of Scappoose, Ore., Friday afternoon. Tierria Sims was shot and killed in Memphis, Tenn., early Friday, and her boyfriend was arrested after telling police they got into an argument and his gun went off during a struggle.

A 21-year-old man who was indiscriminately shooting people with a paintball gun was shot with a real gun in retaliation on the South Side of Chicago, Ill., Thursday night. Saul Salgado, 21, was shot and killed while he was stopped at a red light in the Belmont Cragin neighborhood of Chicago early Friday. Five people wounded, including a 15-year-old girl, in shootings across Chicago Thursday and early Friday. A woman was wounded when a firearm was discharged through the floor of an upstairs apartment during a domestic argument in Norfolk, Va., early Friday.

A 30-year-old woman was shot and wounded after an altercation in Tuscaloosa, Ala., Thursday afternoon. Charlessa Smith, 19, was shot and wounded while leaving a large house party in Omaha, Neb., early Friday. A woman in her 30s was found shot in the head and killed on a San Diego, Calif., sidewalk early Friday. 30-year-old Eliezer Rivera was shot and killed at a barbershop following an argument in Worcester, Mass., Friday afternoon. Two people were shot and wounded, one of them critically, at a barbershop in Kansas City, Mo., Friday afternoon.

25-year-old Michael L. Mefford was shot and killed in Eureka, Kan., early Friday, and his brother, 19-year-old Gabriel Mefford, was arrested. A man was killed in a shooting in a parking lot in Fayetteville, N.C., Thursday night. On Friday morning in Fayetteville, a man and a woman were killed and two other people were injured in a shooting at a nightclub. A 57-year-old man was shot and wounded at a home in Fayetteville early Friday. Willie Solomon, 22, was shot several times and killed inside a nightclub in Altoona, Pa., early Friday.

A 50-year-old man was shot and killed in east Baltimore, Md., Thursday afternoon. A 45-year-old man was shot in the arm after an altercation at a bar in Tacoma, Wash., late Thursday. Terence Farmer, 57, was shot and killed outside his home in Gary, Ind., Thursday night. 39-year-old Thomas Cassano was found shot to death in his kitchen in Coraopolis, Pa., early Friday. Michael Lawson, 39, was shot in the chest with a semi-automatic handgun at an apartment complex in Elizabeth, N.J., Thursday night.

Damian S. King, 38; Michael Alexander, 32; and Mia Dorns, 17, were shot and seriously injured during a fight at a street party in south St. Petersburg, Fla., Thursday night. Heather N. Davis, 22, was shot to death in Cairo, Ill., Friday night, and police arrested her husband, 30-year-old Chauncy Hughes. A man was shot in the thigh while walking in Woodland, Calif., Thursday night. Taj Emory Jackson was shot in the back and wounded after an argument in High Point, N.C., Thursday night. Roger E. Fredritz and Cynthia L. Hawkinberry, both 49, were shot multiple times and killed at the Carey Conservation and Sportsman’s Association in Carey, Ohio, Friday night.

One person was injured in a shooting at a party in northwest Charlotte, N.C., Thursday night. In Charlotte on Friday night, two people were shot and wounded at an intersection. A 28-year-old woman was critically injured in a shooting outside a Hayward, Calif., apartment building Thursday night. A man was injured in a drive-by shooting in east Oakland, Calif., Friday morning. Steven Garcia, 29, was fatally wounded in a shooting in Thousand Palms, Calif., Friday morning. Two men were shot in downtown Cleveland, Ohio, early Friday.

A man in his 20s was shot in the head and killed in the Uptown neighborhood of Harrisburg, Pa., Thursday night. On Friday night in Harrisburg, one person was shot and wounded in the Allison Hill neighborhood. Kenneth Monahan, 33, and Brandi Monahan, 26, were shot and critically wounded in Chattanooga, Tenn., Friday night. Edgar and April Hedrick were shot and killed in Martin County, Ky., Friday night, and police suspect Edgar Hedrick’s cousin puled the trigger. Kendrick Lamond McGary, 24, and Ryan Rachon McGary, 29, were shot and wounded after being robbed by a man they had been playing cards with in Lakeland, Fla., early Friday.

A man was shot and seriously wounded in south Maui, Hawaii, Friday afternoon. One person was shot and wounded at a nightclub in Horry County, S.C., Friday night. Roger Gibson, 81, was gunned down in the coin shop he owned during a robbery in Ablemarle, N.C., Thursday night. Kimberly Ann Staack, 52, was shot and killed in a home in Gold Hill, Ore., early Friday, and police charged an acquaintance with her murder. A man was shot in the stomach by someone who stole his cell phone and wallet in Buffalo, N.Y., Friday night.

Saturday:

14-year-old Trevaughn Everett was found dead of gunshot wounds in the Avondale area of Cincinnati, Ohio, Saturday night. A 16-year-old boy was accidentally shot in the neck and killed at a home where people were cleaning their guns in Burley, Idaho, Saturday night. Three people, including a 17-year-old girl, were shot and wounded outside a market in north St. Louis County, Mo., Saturday night. A man was shot in the back in the parking lot of a Walmart in Russellville, Ark., Saturday morning, when his young son tried to pull himself into his pickup truck by grabbing hold of an unsecured shotgun when it discharged.

A 19-year-old man was critically wounded in a drive-by shooting outside his girlfriend’s home in Memphis, Tenn., early Saturday. Christopher Shockley, 28, was shot and killed by a convenience store clerk as he tried to rob a store in west Toledo, Ohio, Saturday night, and the clerk, 29-year-old December Long, was injured after the two exchanged gunfire. Kenneth “Kenny” Schreffler, 43, was killed and his girlfriend, Amber Rivenbark, 27, was wounded in a shooting in Brooksville, Fla., Saturday night.

Police say Justin Bledsoe, 25, shot his grandfather, 76-year-old James Bledsoe, and his mother, 45-year-old Jacqueline Bledsoe, multiple times in Little Rock, Ark., early Saturday. A man was shot in the leg while walking along U.S. 291 in Independence, Mo., Saturday evening. Antoine Dudley, 35, was found shot to death on the kitchen floor of a home in the Beltzhoover neighborhood of Pittsburgh, Pa., early Saturday. A 23-year-old man was shot in the foot and thigh while being robbed outside a party in Newport News, Va., early Saturday.

A 20-year-old man was shot and wounded in Greensboro, N.C., early Saturday. Devine Eatmon, 21, a student at North Carolina A&T State University, was shot and wounded on the school’s Greensboro campus late Saturday. Darren Johnson, 47, was killed and three others were injured in a shooting at a private club in Radcliff, Ky., early Saturday. A man in his 30s was found shot to death in a home in Huntington, W.Va., Saturday. A shooting in Oakland, Calif., left one person in critical condition early Saturday. A 25-year-old man was shot in the chest and wounded after a verbal altercation escalated at a Denny’s in Anderson, S.C., early Saturday.

Rahiem Martin and Lakisha Martin, who are cousins, were shot and wounded at an apartment complex on the northeast side of Indianapolis, Ind., early Saturday. A man was shot at a home in southeast Columbus, Ohio, early Saturday. Darius Scott, 20, was shot to death during an argument at the Greater Baton Rouge State Fair in east Baton Rouge, La., late Saturday. A man was shot in the stomach and wounded following a heated argument in Hermitage, Tenn., Saturday evening. A man was shot and wounded in the Highland neighborhood of Shreveport, La., Saturday night.

Sammy Gantt, 22, was shot in the chest and killed in northwest Atlanta, Ga., early Saturday. A man was found shot in the groin at a home in Sikeston, Mo., early Saturday. A man accidentally shot and killed himself when he and a friend were drinking and fooling around with a handgun at an apartment complex in north Terre Haute, Ind., Saturday night. Tonya Marie Lemon, 35, was shot and killed in Santee, S.C., Saturday night. A 42-year-old man was shot and wounded after confronting a man who had beaten his girlfriend in Fort Bragg, Calif., Saturday morning.

A man was found with multiple gunshot wounds in a parked car in Pomona, Calif., early Saturday. A man was shot in the leg near police headquarters in Atlanta, Ga., Saturday evening. 35-year-old Maurice Mabine and 29-year-old Trenita Jackson were shot and wounded inside a grocery store in Edenton, N.C., Saturday afternoon. A man was shot twice after refusing to hand over his wallet in Gilbert, Ariz., Saturday night. A 35-year-old man was found lying in a dirt driveway dead of a gunshot wound near Salinas, Calif., Saturday afternoon. A man was shot and wounded in downtown Jasper, Wyo., Saturday night. A man in his 20s was shot several times in the chest and killed in Muskogee, Okla., early Saturday.

27-year-old James Carter was shot and wounded outside a convenience store in South Bend, Ind., Saturday night. A man was wounded when his friend became startled and accidentally shot him while hunting in Catoosa, Okla., Saturday night.

Sunday:

A 5-year-old boy was wounded when a 22-caliber gun accidentally discharged in New Paris, Ohio, Sunday afternoon. Ryan Matson, 38, was cleaning his .45 caliber handgun when it accidentally went off in his kitchen, injuring himself and his 4-year-old daughter in Stonington, Me., Sunday afternoon. A man was shot three times and began knocking on doors in Dayton, Ohio, until someone drove him to the hospital late Sunday. Andrea Jinneth Corredor-Riveria, 25, a Colombian college student visiting relatives, died after accidentally shooting herself at the Salt River Gun Range in New London, Mo., Sunday morning.

Tonika L. Clark, 32, was shot and critically wounded following a traffic altercation on Florida’s Turnpike in North Lauderdale, Fla., Sunday night. A 23-year-old man was shot and killed during a firefight in west Philadelphia, Pa., early Sunday. Two men were hospitalized after a shooting in unincorporated Palm Beach County, Fla., Sunday evening. A 25-year-old man and a 23-year-old woman, who was nine months pregnant, were shot and killed, and a 75-year-old man was wounded, at a home on the west side of Detroit, Mich., Sunday afternoon; doctors were able to deliver the baby, a girl.

A 38-year-old woman was shot in the neck in Macon, Ga., early Sunday. A 24-year-old woman was hit by a stray bullet while walking past a restaurant in Wilmington, Del., early Sunday. A 30-year-old woman was shot in the stomach following an argument with her boyfriend in Spartanburg, S.C., Sunday afternoon. Linda Brown, 47, was shot in the stomach and killed in Bradenton, Fla., early Sunday, and her live-in boyfriend, Terry Braddy, 47, was arrested. A man was found shot in the chest and killed and a woman was found bound in Coatesville, Pa., early Sunday.

A man was shot twice inside a vehicle in north Tulsa, Okla., Sunday evening. Francisco Ibarra, 19, was shot and killed after a confrontation with two men in Fresno, Calif., early Sunday. An off-duty firefighter, 45, was shot multiple times in the chest and killed while walking toward his home on the east side of Cleveland, Ohio, Sunday night. A 21-year-old man was shot in the leg in Decatur, Ill., Sunday afternoon. Derrick T. Anderson, 28, was shot and critically injured while sitting in a car in Omaha, Neb., Sunday night.

Kevin McCoy, 41, was wounded in an earlier shooting in Omaha on Sunday. 17-year-old Richard Chapman was shot in the arm and wounded in Syracuse, N.Y., early Sunday; it is his third bullet wound in two years. A man in his 30s was shot and killed in San Jose, Calif., early Sunday. Two men were shot at a Waffle House in Lexington, Ky., early Sunday. A man was shot and killed after an argument with his estranged girlfriend in Henderson, Nev., early Sunday. Gary Colt, 50, was killed and Michael Parker, 56, was wounded when someone opened fire on them as they sat in the carport of a home in Lake Worth, Fla., Sunday night.

A man was shot and wounded while driving away from a party at a home in Carvins Cove, Va., early Sunday. A man in his 20s was shot in the leg and wounded in Xenia Twp., Ohio, Sunday evening. 34-year-old John Kubiak and 61-year-old David Shrader were injured in a shooting accident at the United Northern Sportsmen Conservation Club in Duluth, Minn., Sunday afternoon. A 20-year-old man was shot in the chest and critically wounded in Oxnard, Calif., Sunday. One person was shot and wounded on the south side of Saginaw, Mich., Sunday afternoon.

A man was shot in the leg during an argument with another man in Nashville, Tenn., Sunday afternoon. 48-year-old Carlos Davis was shot and killed following an altercation with three people in Birmingham, Ala., Sunday afternoon. A police officer was shot and wounded during a SWAT standoff in Oregon City, Ore., Sunday afternoon. Jeremy J. Meredith, 21, was found in the street, dead of a gunshot wound in south Richmond, Va., Sunday night. Mark Ellis, a 25-year-old hospital worker, was shot and killed after an argument over double-parking in west Philadelphia, Pa., early Sunday.

Two men, 24 and 25, were wounded in a shooting outside a lounge in Buffalo, N.Y., early Sunday. A man was shot and killed in a club hosting a rap concert in Minneapolis, Minn., early Sunday. At least three people were killed and nine others were injured in shootings across Chicago, Ill., since Friday.

According to Slate’s gun-death tracker, an estimated 10,163 people have died as a result of gun violence in America since the Newtown massacre on December 14, 2012.
Clave
2013-11-12 02:55:08 UTC
(Sorry for any duplicates, but I don't think there are many, if any at all.)

1.RED HILL, PA, 10/04/13: A Red Hill man was charged with reckless
endangerment after his gun accidentally discharged in the 900 block of
Vanguard Drive around 11:30 p.m. Oct. 4. According to the Skippack barracks
of the state police, Matthew J. Mio Lewandoski, 36, was on a rear deck of a
home in a townhouse community, cleaning a loaded weapon when he accidentally
pulled back the slide of the trigger and the firearm discharged in an
unknown direction. He is awaiting his preliminary hearing on charges of
recklessly endangering another person and disorderly conduct in district
court.

2.WAYNESBORO, VA, 10/10/13: Two people are in custody and two people are
wanted in connection with an armed robbery at Fairfax Hall on Oct. 10, say
police. And, according to a search warrant, at least one of the suspects
allegedly shot himself in the groin by mistake during the robbery. Randy
Maceo Morings, 22, of Staunton, was carried into Augusta Health by another
man, James Henry Crawford III, 24, of Staunton, just 15 minutes after the
robbery happened, the warrant says.

3.LAKEWOOD, CO, 10/23/13: Police responded to the 2400 block of Iris Street
on Oct. 23 for an accidental gunshot wound. A man told police he shot
himself in the hand while trying to clean his gun, a 9mm handgun. He also
admitted to taking three Percocet pills, three Vicodin pills and half a
bottle of Nyquil.

4.ATASCOCITA, TX, 10/26/13: On Oct. 26, deputies responded to an accidental
gunshot wound in the 20000 block of Sunny Shores Dr.
5.ONTARIO, OR, 10/28/13: Police are searching for a man who they say fled an
eastern Oregon home after a gun discharged, injuring a 4-year-old boy. The
boy was hit in the arm when the gun fired late Saturday and was taken to a
hospital in Boise, Idaho with non-life threatening injuries. Police say a
felony warrant has been issued for 33-year-old Juan Jose Moreno-Alvarez of
Ontario charging him with assault. Police say they consider him to be armed
and dangerous. The shooting is still under investigation and it's not yet
clear who was holding the gun or how it discharged.

6.JASPER CO., IN, 10/29/13: A man who allegedly shot himself in the foot and
later told law enforcement officials he had been robbed has been arrested
and charged with false informing. According to reports, on Tuesday, Oct. 29,
at approximately 3:20 a.m., Jasper County Sheriff’s Office received a report
of a victim who was at the Jasper County Hospital Emergency Room being
treated for a gunshot wound. JCSO Sgt. Jack Bulington responded to the
hospital and discovered that a man identified as Eduardo Torres-Vargas, 23,
of DeMotte, had received a gunshot wound to the lower part of his left leg.
According to two witnesses who were with Vargas at the time of the shooting,
the group had been robbed at gunpoint on State Road 10 near the intersection
of State Road 110 south of DeMotte. During the alleged robbery the unknown
suspect had fired a shot that struck the victim.

7.ROCK HILL, SC, 10/31/13: Police are trying to decide if they will file
charges against the two men who claimed last week that an unknown assailant
shot one of them outside of Rock Hill’s Emmett Scott Recreation Center
during an alleged robbery last week. Investigators have determined that
21-year-old Timothy Royster accidentally shot himself while sitting in his
car in the center’s parking lot. Authorities swarmed the parking lot of the
Crawford Road community center last Thursday afternoon after receiving
reports of shots fired, documents show. When police arrived, they found
Royster on the ground, complaining of a gunshot wound to the leg. Royster,
of Ohio, told police a man wearing a black hooded sweatshirt ambushed him
from behind, pushed him to the ground and searched his front pockets. He
said he heard a gunshot and realized he had been shot in the leg.

8.SENECA, OR, 11/01/13: A Silvies Valley man was injured last week when a
loaded handgun fell to the floor and discharged, the bullet lodging in his
leg. Grant County Sheriff Glenn Palmer said the incident occurred about 3:51
p.m. Friday, Nov. 1, at Silvies Valley Ranch, just south of Seneca.

9.MARIETTA, GA, 11/01/13: An accidental shooting death that took place on
the Square has some locals unnerved, but they say they still have confidence
in the safety of the area regarded as the city’s family friendly gathering
place. A 25-year-old man was shot dead Friday night in the kitchen of the
Laziza eatery at 113 North Park Square next to The Strand Theatre when his
gun accidentally fired. Raouf Sanad, 63, owner of the restaurant, is charged
with involuntary manslaughter, pointing a gun at another person and reckless
conduct in the death of Wael Ali, who owned the firearm and had been showing
it to Sanad in the restaurant’s kitchen. Sanad is accused of pointing a
black semi-automatic handgun at Ali and pulling the trigger, believing the
safety was on, and killing Ali, according to the arrest warrant.

10.RUSSELLVILLE, AR, 11/02/13: Police in Russellville are investigating the
accidental shooting of a father by his child. Police said officers were
called to a Walmart store parking lot on Main Street at 11 a.m. Saturday
regarding a possible shooting. Once there, police found a man with a gunshot
wound to his back. Officers say the child - whose age wasn't disclosed - was
getting into the father's pickup truck and tried to pull himself in by
grabbing an unsecured shotgun. The firearm discharged and wounded the father
in the back.

11.CHICAGO, IL, 11/02/13: About 5:06 p.m., Chicago Fire Department crews
were dispatched to the 3300 block of South Wentworth Avenue, where
paramedics treated a 20-year-old woman suffering from a gunshot wound, said
Chicago Fire Department spokesman Chief Juan Hernandez. The woman taken to
Northwestern Memorial Hospital in serious-to-critical condition. The woman
was injured in an accidental shooting involving a weapon she was hiding on
her person as arresting officers waited for a female officer to search her,
police said. The woman was arrested about 5 p.m. in the 3300 block of South
Wentworth Avenue and was in the back of a police squad, waiting for a female
officer to arrive on-scene when the gun discharged, injuring the woman,
police said.

12.ROGERS CO., OK, 11/02/13: Rogers County Sheriff's Department arrested
three people in what appears to be an accidental shooting. One of the men
told deputies he'd shot his friend while the two were on a Sasquatch hunting
expedition. The two men were hunting - apparently for Bigfoot - around 177th
East Avenue and Tiger Switch Road Saturday night. Omar Pineda reportedly
heard a "barking noise," jerked and shot his friend in the back, authorities
say.

13.BURLEY, ID, 11/02/13: A 16-year-old boy died at a west Cassia County home
Saturday night after he was accidentally shot in the neck, according to the
sheriff's office. Sheriff Jay Heward said Sunday that Ryan J. Willes, of
Burley was shot while people at the home were cleaning their guns. The group
had apparently been out shooting earlier in the day, Heward said. Willes was
pronounced dead at the scene.

14.STONINGTON, ME, 11/02/13: A man and his young daughter were both injured
when the man’s handgun went off this morning in Stonington, police said. The
man, Ryan Matson, 38, was cleaning his .45 caliber handgun when it went off
accidentally in his kitchen. He and his daughter, Riley Matson, were both
shot in the leg and taken to Blue Hill Memorial Hospital. Police said the
injuries were not life threatening.

15.NORTH TERRE HAUTE, IN, 11/02/13: A man is dead after accidentally
shooting himself. The Vigo County Sheriff's Department responded to an
apartment complex in North Terre Haute Saturday night. That's where a tenant
told deputies he and his friend has been drinking and fooling around with a
handgun, when his friend accidentally fired - and shot himself. The victim
was airlifted to Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis, where he was pronounced
dead on arrival.

16.NEW LONDON, MO, 11/03/13: On Sunday, Nov. 3, at 9:26 a.m., the Ralls
County Sheriff’s Department responded to a reported accidental shooting at
the Salt River Gun Range. The gun range is located on U.S. 61 in the New
London rural section of Ralls County. Upon arrival at the scene, sheriff’s
deputes found the victim, Andrea Jinneth Corredor-Rivera, age 25, deceased
from a single self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head that appeared to be
accidental in nature. However, the investigation was ongoing Sunday
afternoon. MORE: Ralls County Sheriff Gerry Dinwiddie tells WGEM-TV that the
woman was shooting a .500-caliber Smith & Wesson handgun when the strength
of the gun's recoil caused her to lose control. She was visiting family in
the area. The sheriff said the gun spun around in her hand, leading to a
second fatal shot. No charges are expected in the case.

17.NEW PARIS, OH, 11/03/13: A 5 year old boy was treated for a gunshot wound
Sunday afternoon. Shortly before 1:00 p.m. Sunday afternoon, an officer from
the New Paris Police Department was sent to the apartments on Saver Drive on
a report of a child shot in the hand. Upon arrival, preliminary information
from police stated the boy was accidentally shot when a 22 caliber gun
discharged and struck the boy in his hand.

18.ROANE CO., TN, 11/03/13: A Roane County man was airlifted to the
University of Tennessee Medical Center after accidentally shooting himself
in the chest with a rifle Sunday evening, authorities said. Emergency
responders were called about 5 p.m. to the victim’s Edwards Lane residence,
south of Rockwood, Roane County Sheriff’s Office Chief Deputy Tim Phillips
said. The victim, whose name has not been released, was shot once in his
chest while handling a .22-caliber rifle, Phillips said. He added that there
were family members in the house at the time and there were no initial
indications the shooting was intentional, he said. “It appears to be
accidental, nothing more,” Phillips said.

19.HOISINGTON, KS, 11/03/13: A rural Hoisington man reported accidentally
shooting himself in the thigh late Sunday on his farm, after tripping while
carrying a small .22 in his pocket.

20.DULUTH, MN, 11/03/13: Two Duluth men were injured yesterday (Sun) when a
rifle exploded at a gun range north of Duluth. Saint Louis County Sheriff's
investigators say 34-year-old John Kubiak of Duluth was firing a bolt action
rifle when it blew up, and the force of the blast sent the bolt flying into
61 year-old David Shrader's chest. Neither was seriously hurt, but Kubiak
was treated for a severe thumb injury. A pair of binoculars Shrader was
wearing around his neck may have offered some protection. Investigators are
not yet sure what caused to rifle to explode.

21.MYRTLE BEACH, SC, 11/03/13: Nobody was injured when a handgun
accidentally fired during a recent gun show at the Myrtle Beach Convention
Center, according to a police report. Officers responded Sunday to the
convention center for a fire alarm call. According to the report, it was
about 9:45 a.m. when a man, 55, was unloading his Glock 27 and while
clearing the magazine of the weapon, he accidentally pulled the trigger,
firing one round. The report said the weapon was fired inside the building
near Exhibit Hall C. It's not known where the round went, but nobody was
hurt and there was no damage to the facility, the report said. The man was
asked to leave the show and he did so without incident.

22.WATERBURY, CT, 11/03/13: A Waterbury man died and his lifelong friend and
roommate is charged with accidentally shooting and killing him. Dow Kling,
22, and Shawn French, 22, were firing blanks with a .22 caliber Ruger inside
an apartment on Mill Street in Waterbury Sunday afternoon, according to
police. Police said the two were taking turns pointing the gun at each other
and pulling the trigger. Both men thought they were blanks, but somehow live
ammunition got mixed in, according to police. Initially, police said French
lied about the shooting. Police said an intruder entered the apartment, shot
Kling and fled. French changed his story and admitted to shooting Kling,
police said. "He thought there was a blank round in the chamber of his gun
when he pointed the gun at Kling and pulled the trigger," according to court
documents. "Kling was telling him to do it." Arrest papers also stated there
was a baby visiting at the time the gunfire went off.

23.BROWNWOOD, TX, 11/03/13: Deputy Terry Sliter was dispatched Sunday to an
undisclosed location on West Anderson on an accidental shooting report. A
man was accidentally shot in his left hand and had been to the hospital and
released by the time Sliter was notified.

24.HAMPTON, VA, 11/03/13: A 33-year-old Hampton man was rushed to the
hospital earlier this week after shooting himself in the hand, police said.
Officers were dispatched to Sentara Careplex at about 1:45 a.m. Sunday after
receiving a report that a person had arrived with a self-inflicted gunshot
wound, said Cpl. Mary Shackelford, a spokeswoman for the Hampton Police
Division, in an email. Police determined a man had accidentally discharged a
firearm in his possession and shot himself in the hand, Shackelford said.
The man's injuries were not life threatening.

25.WILMINGTON, DE, 11/03/13: Delaware State Police are investigating an
early morning shooting in Wilmington that injured one woman. Police say
troopers were called to an area hospital early Sunday for the report of a
24-year-old woman with a gunshot wound to the arm. Police say the woman had
been walking near the Karibbean Delight Restaurant about 2 a.m. Sunday.
That's when she heard gunshots ring out. Police say the woman ran for cover
but was struck in the arm by a stray bullet. A private vehicle took her to
the hospital. The woman is expected to survive. Police say it does not
appear the woman was targeted in the shooting.

26.DENVER, CO, 11/04/13: Denver police say a road rage suspect suffered a
self-inflicted gunshot wound to the hand. Police said the incident occurred
Monday afternoon near West Warren Avenue and South Bannock Street. Two
vehicles were involved. The suspect was placed into custody. No other
details were released.

27.AMO, IN, 11/04/13: An 11-year-old boy accidentally shot his sister in the
leg on Monday, officials with the Hendricks County Sheriff’s Department
said. The incident happened at a home in the Amo area. The boy was holding a
.22-caliber bolt action rifle when it fell to the floor and fired, striking
the boy’s 14-year-old sister in the leg. Other people in the room at the
time, including the boy’s mother, said they didn’t know the gun was loaded.

28.BROOKLYN, NY, 11/04/13: A Brooklyn cop accidentally shot himself in the
arm while trying to secure his gun inside his stationhouse Monday morning,
police said. The 52-year-old Housing Bureau officer was rushed to Brookdale
Hospital in a police vehicle and is in stable condition. Police said the
18-year veteran had just finished the overnight shift at his locker when he
accidentally fired his gun, striking himself in the left bicep. There were
no other injuries.

29.WACO, TX, 11/04/13: A McLennan County prosecutor who shot out a window in
the district attorney’s offices Monday while admiring a colleague’s new gun
may face disciplinary action, District Attorney Abel Reyna said. First
Assistant District Attorney Michael Jarrett said he asked fellow prosecutor
Landon Ramsay if he could see Ramsay’s new Glock .40-caliber pistol about 2
p.m. Monday. Jarrett said he asked Ramsay if the gun was loaded and was told
it was not. Jarrett pulled back the slide, he said, to double-check if it
was loaded and didn’t see a bullet slide into the chamber. He aimed the gun
at a window in Ramsay’s office and pulled the trigger. The bullet shattered
the window and struck the brick exterior of the adjacent vacant downtown
county jail, Jarrett and McLennan County Chief Sheriff’s Deputy Matt Cawthon
said. No one was injured, which Jarrett said was because he was careful to
point the pistol out the window at a brick wall. “I was being extremely
safe,” Jarrett said. “I inspected the gun even after I was told it was not
loaded, but it was just an unfortunate accident.”

30.KITTANNING, PA, 11/04/13: State police said a man was cleaning his gun
inside an Armstrong County home when it accidentally went off and a bullet
hit someone. Authorities said the incident happened just before midnight at
a home on Port Street in Manor Township. Channel 11’s Dave Bondy reported
that a woman suffered the gunshot wound, but her injuries are not
life-threatening. Her name hasn’t been released.

31.HAMBLETON, WV, 11/05/13: A Tucker County man was transported by
helicopter to West Virginia University Hospital Monday following a hunting
accident. Edward Lee Evans, 39, of Sugarland Road, was squirrel hunting near
his Hambleton home at approximately 2 p.m. Monday. Captain Roy E. Cool of
the West Virginia Division of National Resources said the preliminary report
on the accident indicated that Evans stopped and shot at the squirrel with a
.22-caliber Hornet rifle; however, the gun did not discharge. Cool said
Evans opened the action on the rifle and it fired, hitting him in his left
foot. Cool said Evans sustained lacerations and some broken bones in his
foot. "Evans is listed in good and stable condition," Cool told The
Inter-Mountain Tuesday. Cool cautions all hunters to use basic safety rules.
"Keep the gun muzzle pointed at a safe direction at all times," Cool said.
"Always treat every gun as if it is loaded, no matter if you know it is not
loaded."

32.BOONVILLE, NY, 11/05/13: A 20-year-old man accidentally shot himself in
the leg while hunting Tuesday in Oneida County, the New York State Police
said. Marc T. Donahue, of Rome, was hunting in wooded area off Furman Road
in the town of Boonville. He was attempting to attach his .308 rifle to a
rope to hoist it up to a tree stand. The rope was hanging six feet off the
ground. When Donahue reached up and started to tie the rope to the rifle,
one round was discharged, state police said. The round entered Donahue's
left femur. The rifle had been loaded with four rounds and did not have the
safety on at the time of the accident, state police said.

33.MOUNTAIN REST, SC, 11/05/13: A 74-year-old hiker had to be airlifted out
of the woods after an accidental shooting on Tuesday, according to officials
with the Oconee County Sheriff's Office and Emergency Services. Emergency
services workers said the man was seven miles into the Yellow Branch
Wilderness when he accidentally shot himself. Emergency workers said because
of how far in the woods the victim was and the severity of his injuries they
decided he should be hoisted out by the South Carolina Helicopter Aquatic
Rescue Team. They said the man was lifted out of the woods by a Black Hawk
helicopter and taken to an awaiting air ambulance to transport him to the
hospital. Officials said the man is in critical condition. The accidental
shooting happened on the Yellow Branch Trail off Highway 28 in Mountain
Rest.

34.MERIDIAN, MS, 11/05/13: On Tuesday morning around 6:15 AM Meridian
Police responded to Anderson’s ER to a report of a person that had been
brought to the hospital who had been shot. The incident occurred on 40th
Avenue. According to the initial investigation the victim accidentally shot
himself in the leg. The victim is in critical condition.

35.DENVER, CO, 11/05/13: Arapahoe County SWAT officers responded to a
condominium complex where a female resident fired a shot that pierced the
walls of five units on Tuesday afternoon. No one was injured by the gunshot,
which was reported about 2:52 p.m. at the condominium complex at 7474 E.
Arkansas Ave., Arapahoe County Sheriff Grayson Robinson said in a news
release. Residents told deputies that a woman living in unit 701 said she
accidentally fired a gun inside her condo. She urged neighbors to "not to
call the police," Robinson said. Residents said the woman was not injured.
Deputies confirmed the bullet went from the gun owner's unit into units 702,
703, 704 and 705. Deputies knocked on the unit of the gun owner, but she did
not answer. After evacuating several surrounding units as a precaution, the
Sheriff’s Office SWAT Team forced entry into unit 701, but the woman wasn’t
inside.

36.SAN JOSE, CA, 11/05/13: A San Jose police officer was injured Tuesday
when he accidentally shot himself, a police spokeswoman confirmed. The
shooting is being investigated as an accidental discharge, according to Sgt.
Heather Randol, a police spokeswoman. The officer, whose name was not
released, had injuries that were not life-threatening. Police only confirmed
the accidental discharge and did not release information regarding the
circumstances, saying it is an administrative investigation. Police declined
to state if the officer was on duty or where the shooting took place.

37.BENTON, AR, 11/05/13: Police are investigating after a 19-year-old woman
was hospitalized after a shooting Tuesday evening. The Benton Police
Department (BPD) says officers responded to a report of shots fired at
Fountain Lake Apartments around 6:45 Tuesday evening, where they discovered
that a shooting victim had already been taken to the hospital. Detectives
took over the investigation after officers found evidence of the shooting in
an apartment, then contacted the 19-year-old victim at the hospital. BPD
says initial investigation indicates that a 21-year-old person was handling
a firearm when it discharged accidentally.

38.MARIETTA, OH, 11/05/13: A Washington County Sheriff's Office detective
who accidentally shot himself in the stomach Tuesday night was expected to
be released from the hospital late Thursday. Lt. Mark Johnson, an 18-year
veteran of the Washington County Sheriff's Office, discharged the gun while
trying to remove it from its holster, said Washington County Sheriff Larry
Mincks. The gun, a .40 caliber Smith & Wesson M&P, had become caught, he
said. "He had gone home off duty and his weapon was stuck in his holster. He
had taken off his holster and when he tugged on the gun it came out and also
went off," Mincks said. Johnson had been at a training session earlier in
the day and had been required to check in the weapon during the training,
said Mincks. "Apparently (the gun) was inserted backwards and that's what
causes it to stick," he said.

39.EAST HARTFORD, CT, 11/06/13: A man was undergoing surgery Wednesday after
he accidentally shot himself overnight, police said. The man, a tow truck
driver, shot himself in the leg/groin area about 1:15 or 1:30 a.m., Lt. Todd
Hanlon said. He was in a parking lot at 178 Smith St. at the time, he said.
The extent of the resulting injuries weren't clear, Hanlon said shortly
before 6:30 a.m. Police had not been able to interview him, but there were
witnesses at the scene and "all indications" are that the shooting was
accidental. "We don't know why he had the gun out," Hanlon said.

40.LANSING, MI, 11/06/13: A 19-year-old Lansing man who police say shot
himself in the leg early Wednesday faces charges along with the man’s friend
who apparently was present when the shooting happened. Around 1:53 a.m.,
Lansing police responded to a report of a possible shooting near Ada and
Fayette streets, according to a news release from Public Information Officer
Robert Merritt. After a brief investigation, police learned that a subject
had been taken to a local hospital. Officers were able to locate a
19-year-old man at a hospital who had a gunshot wound to his leg. Police
believe that the man accidentally shot himself in the leg. His injuries are
non-life threatening, the news release said.

41.PINEY POINT, MD, 11/06/13: On November 6, 2013, Detective Corporal David
Alexander was participating in firearms training at the Harry Lundeburg
School of Seamanship Firearms Training Facility. While participating in a
live fire exercise, Cpl Alexander sustained a non-life threatening gunshot
wound. He was transported by Maryland State Police Helicopter to University
of Maryland Trauma Center in Baltimore where he was treated and released. An
investigation is ongoing to determine the exact cause of the weapons
discharge. Detective Corporal David Alexander is a thirteen year veteran of
the St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office.

42.TAMPA, FL, 11/06/13: Tampa police officers have arrested a man who shot
at another man outside a Home Depot where a number of people were walking
through the lot at the time of the Wednesday afternoon shooting. No one was
shot or injured in the shooting, which began after a confrontation when two
vehicles passed each other too closely in the parking lot, police said.
Darrell Strong was charged with discharging a firearm in public, aggravated
assault with a firearm and burglary for the purpose of a battery, police
said. The incident began when Raymond Lindstrom, 35, of New Port Richey,
pulled out of his parking space in a black Ford pickup at around 12:40 p.m.
at the Home Depot, at 1712 N. Dale Mabry Highway. As he tried to exit the
parking area, he drove near a gold minivan driven by Latasha Strong, of
Tampa, in the parking aisle. The two vehicles got too close, making it
difficult to pass safely, police said. Lindstrom and Strong were side by
side and exchanged words through the driver’s side windows, police said. As
the two exchanged words, Strong’s husband, Darrell Strong, 27, of Tampa, and
his friend, John Christian, 40, of Tampa, pulled up in a separate vehicle,
police said. Darrell Strong and Christian confronted Lindstrom, who remained
in his truck. The argument escalated and a fight broke out as Lindstrom was
still in the driver’s seat, police said. Lindstrom took out his gun, which
Darrell Strong and Christian tried to take from him, police said. Darrell
Strong and Christian ran to their car. Lindstrom drove off, but he headed
down a parking aisle that was a dead end, police said. He turned around and
tried driving out of the lot. Darrell Strong retrieved a gun from his car,
police said, and went to the front of the store. As Lindstrom drove by,
Darrell Strong fired two shots at the pickup, police said. Two bullets hit
an unoccupied white Toyota Corrolla that belonged to someone not involved in
the incident. The bullets knocked out the back and a side window. Police
estimate there were about a dozen people between the shooter and the truck
when the shots were fired. No one was shot or injured, police said. Both
Lindstrom and Darrell Strong have concealed weapons permits, police said.

43.WATERVILLE, ME, 11/06/13: A 31-year-old man is recovering at a Boston
hospital after accidentally shooting part of his face off with a rifle
Wednesday night, according to police. Dale Poulin of Waterville and two of
his friends were exchanging hunting stories at a College Avenue apartment
when the incident occurred, according to Waterville police Chief Joseph
Massey. At one point during the conversation, Poulin went outside to his
pickup and brought the high-powered, .270-caliber rifle inside the
residence, according to Massey. For reasons unknown to police, Poulin put
the gun under his chin as he and his friends continued to drink alcohol and
share stories. Massey said Poulin thought the gun was not loaded when he
pulled the trigger, and he never contemplated suicide. The bullet completely
tore off the bottom of Poulin’s face, the chief said. “It’s one of those
things where you mix alcohol and weapons and start to do very unsafe things,
and you end up with a tragedy,” Massey said. When police entered the
residence, they encountered Poulin sitting in a chair with his entire face
torn off below his nose, the chief said.

44.LANDERS, CA, 11/06/13: A convicted felon, who shot himself in the hand,
thought that by hiding the gun, investigating deputies wouldn’t know that he
had a gun in violation of the law. According to Sheriff’s Sergeant Steve
Wilson, Edward Malone, 33, of the 60200 block of Stearman Avenue in Landers,
had been drinking and was cleaning his handgun when the gun went off early
Wednesday morning. The bullet entered the palm of Malone’s hand and traveled
up his arm, coming out at the elbow. Malone drove himself to the emergency
room at Hi-Desert Medical Center where the nurses called the Sheriff’s
Department at 1:30 Wednesday morning. Malone initially told deputies he was
mad at the gun and threw it out in the desert, but he finally told them it
was hidden in the skirting of a hot tub at his residence. Deputies will file
a report with the District Attorney’s office for possible charges against
Edward Malone for being a felon in possession of a gun.

45.WELLSBORO, PA, 11/06/13: A Delmar Township man was the victim of an
accidental shooting on Wednesday, Nov. 6. Timothy Bowers, 41, of Wellsboro,
was allegedly cleaning a firearm at his friend's residence on Stony Fork
Road. As Bowers was attempting to clear the gun by pulling the slide back to
eject the live round, the slide slipped from his hand, closing the action.
Bowers' hand was reportedly on the trigger, which shot a single round into
his left leg.

46.READING, PA, 11/07/13: Emergency crews are on the scene of a reported
shooting inside a grocery store in Reading. The shooting was reported
shortly before 3:45 p.m. inside a store in the 600 block of Greenwich
Street. The victim was standing in the area of the cash registers with his
children when a gun in his pocket accidentally went off, firing a bullet
into one of his legs, police said. An ambulance rushed the victim to the
hospital. The cashier closest to the victim when the gun went off was
extremely shaken by the incident and taken home by store management.

47.EL PASO, TX, 11/07/13: A gun accidentally went off this morning at the
Municipal Court in Northeast El Paso, putting a bullet into the floor. El
Paso Police spokesman Mike Baranyay said that at about 8:15 a.m. a Ruiz
Protective Services guard's gun fired into the floor of the court, 9600
Dyer. No one was injured. Ruiz Protective Services provides security for the
municipal court, which is located next door to the police department's
Northeast Regional Command Center, Baranyay said.

48.BATTLE CREEK, MI, 11/07/13: No one was hurt when a man accidentally fired
a rifle in his house and the bullet struck a neighbor’s house. Battle Creek
police reported the incident in the first block of Woolnough Street about
10:21 p.m. Thursday. The man, 20, said he was admiring an old Russian rifle
he owns but didn’t know it was loaded. He pulled the trigger and the rifle
fired and the bullet passed through his house and struck his neighbor’s
home. One person was inside but she was not hurt and did not know about the
incident until police arrived. The owner of the gun called officers after
the discharge. Police seized the gun for 30 days and the neighbor said he
will seek and submit an estimate to the owner of the gun to have repairs
done to the house.

49.WILLARD, OH, 11/07/13: A Willard area woman likely shot herself in the
leg Thursday evening inside her residence, Huron County Chief Deputy Ted
Patrick said. But detectives won't know for sure until they're able to speak
with her. Misty Wiseman, 35, was flown to Mercy St. Vincent Medical Center
in Toledo after the 10 p.m. incident for treatment. Wiseman's boyfriend,
Jeffrey Branham, 38, called deputies after hearing the shot inside the home
and finding Wiseman with a wound to her upper left leg. "Early indications
are that it was a self-inflicted gunshot wound," Patrick said. Whether it
was accidental and the circumstances of exactly how it happened are unclear.

50.HALLSVILLE, TX, 11/08/13: Officials are investigating after a hunter was
found dead this morning in Harrison County from what appears to be an
accidental gunshot wound. According to Harrison County Sheriff’s Office, the
hunter has been identified as 51-year-old Benjamin Randell Huffman of
Hallsville. Huffman’s body was found near a deer stand in a field off Willie
Smith Road south of Hallsville. A witness told deputies he and Huffman were
hunting. The witness had climbed a ladder and was in a deer stand when he
turned around to get his weapon from the victim. The victim then reportedly
handed the rifle to the witness and the rifle discharged with the muzzle
pointing downward toward the Huffman. The witness could not find a cellphone
and drove from the area where they were hunting to a residence on Quail Lane
and had the owners of the residence to call 911.

51.FALLS TOWNSHIP, PA, 11/08/13: A man in Bucks County is under arrest after
bringing his friend to the hospital after shooting him. Friday night around
7:30pm 26-year-old Charles Byle brought his friend, Steven Vickers, to Lower
Bucks Hospital. Vickers was shot in the right bicep. The bullet had traveled
into his chest cavity and behind his heart. At the hospital Byle told
officers he did not know how Vickers got shot, but officers noticed a large
amount of blood on Byle's clothing. A search of Byle's home recovered blood
evidence outside the house, a bong, fireworks in the living room, blood
inside leading to the bedroom, and a revolver and pill bottles in the
bedroom. When Byle was brought in for questioning he admitted to
accidentally shooting Vickers while cleaning the gun. He was arrested and
charged with aggravated assault, possession of drugs with intent to use and
other related offenses.

All original sources cited here:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/11/11/1252676/-I-don-t-know-how-my-friend-got-shot-by-the-gun-I-was-cleaning-while-doing-bong-hits-GunFAIL-XLIII
bub
2013-11-13 01:04:13 UTC
According to Slate’s gun-death tracker, an estimated 10,163 people have died as a result of gun violence in America
Unintentional fall deaths
Number of deaths: 26,009

Motor vehicle traffic deaths
Number of deaths: 33,687

Unintentional poisoning deaths
Number of deaths: 33,041

Death from painkillers
Number of deaths 14,800

Suffocation deaths
Number of deaths 16,362

Homicide deaths 16,259
Suicide deaths 38,364
www.cdc.gov

10163 deaths .. 310million guns
0.00003278387
w***@gmail.com
2013-11-13 02:18:25 UTC
Post by bub
Homicide deaths 16,259
Suicide deaths 38,364
www.cdc.gov
Keep in mind, for every gun homicide, there are seven people wounded by gun shots. Each gun shot victim will require, on average, $500,000 of lifetime medical care.

Not to mention the bars on windows, increased security, and activities that no longer be done, all subtracting from the quality of life.
h***@gmail.com
2013-11-13 02:53:21 UTC
8:18 PMwilm...@

I don't know anyone with bars on their windows. But every house I lived in Malaysia and Thailand had bars, and almost every single house and apartment I ever saw there had bars. But guns are completely prohibited.
O-PGManager
2013-11-13 05:20:18 UTC
Post by bub
Right-to-Carry permit holder stops armed robbers, The Reading Eagle,
Reading, Pa. 11/05/13
Odd case for NRA fans to cite, as they are strenuously against anyone
having to get any kind of permit to have a gun.
Opie G. Manager
Rec.Gambling.Poker
Assistant Newsgroup Coordinator Emeritus (2009-2011)
Observant Lurker
2013-11-12 15:57:20 UTC
Post by Dave the Clueless
The family of a kidnapped Louisiana mother tracked down and killed the
father of her child in the abandoned house where he was allegedly holding
her prisoner, authorities said.
-------
"Everybody has asked the question ... 'What shall we do with the Negro?' I
have had but one answer from the beginning. Do nothing with us! Your doing
with us has already played the mischief with us. Do nothing with us!"
(Frederick Douglass)
Gotta give them credit. The people in the south know how to hand out
proper justice and don't
leave justice to the wimpy, liberal judges.
Years ago in Arkansas, a man raped a woman and was released on bail. The
victims brothers went into the rapists house; held him on the floor and
castrated him.
When the judge found out, he threw out the rape charge against the man and
said "he's already been punished".