OT: Popinjay on Robin Williams
Paul Popinjay
2014-08-13 01:02:19 UTC
I am in agreement with Observant Lurker. I have NEVER been amused in anyway whatsoever by the "humor" of Robin Williams. The guy just was not funny, not at all. "Comic genius" my ass. And the news is covering him more than they covered Nelson Mandela. The world is on fire, in Iraq, Gaza, Ukraine, and every time I turn on the news either television or radio, they're talking about Robin Williams.

I am reminded of when Whitney Houston died and the world was stunned. My first thought was, BFD, another crack whore with more money than God but can't handle the success, dies in a bathtub. Move on folks, nothing to see here.

Same thing now, BFD. An unfunny, unnoteworthy, Hollywood person with more money than God, can't handle success, uses cocaine and booze and whatever else, in rehab, ANOTHER great role model for the children, hangs himself.

"Genius", get real. What a loser.
Bradley K. Sherman
2014-08-13 01:14:57 UTC
Post by Paul Popinjay
I am in agreement with Observant Lurker. I have NEVER been amused in
anyway whatsoever by the "humor" of Robin Williams. ...
Oh, c'mon. Now this is funny:

| Michael Jackson was taking Propofol to sleep, which is like
| doing chemotherapy because you're tired of shaving your head

<Robin Williams>

--bks
Paul Popinjay
2014-08-13 01:18:08 UTC
Post by Bradley K. Sherman

| Michael Jackson was taking Propofol to sleep, which is like
| doing chemotherapy because you're tired of shaving your head

<Robin Williams>
--bks
Well, that's different. Michael Jackson jokes are funny.

But that was clever, somewhat.
Mossingen
2014-08-21 08:48:05 UTC
Post by Bradley K. Sherman

| Michael Jackson was taking Propofol to sleep, which is like
| doing chemotherapy because you're tired of shaving your head

<Robin Williams>
--bks
Well, that's different. Michael Jackson jokes are funny.

But that was clever, somewhat.

_____________________

I agree with you, paul on the comedy bit. I don't think Williams was all
that funny most of the time. That frenetic delivery of his stream of
consciousness schtick never impressed me, but he was a very good actor in
serious roles such as Good Will Hunting. He was a talented entertainer, but
overrated in my opinion.
Vince
2014-08-13 01:20:58 UTC
Post by Paul Popinjay
I am in agreement with Observant Lurker. I have NEVER been
amused in anyway whatsoever by the "humor" of Robin Williams.
The guy just was not funny, not at all. "Comic genius" my
ass. And the news is covering him more than they covered
Nelson Mandela. The world is on fire, in Iraq, Gaza, Ukraine,
and every time I turn on the news either television or radio,
they're talking about Robin Williams.
I agree with this post.
He's getting more TV coverage than JFK. The news vultures are
milking the hell of it.
He took the coward way out, not giving a shit about those family
members left behind.
VegasJerry
2014-08-13 13:37:31 UTC
.
.> He took the coward way out, not giving a shit about those family
Post by Vince
members left behind.
Unless you've suffered depression; take the idiot's way out and STFU.

Jerry 'n Vegas
Dave the Clueless
2014-08-13 17:46:11 UTC
Post by Vince
members left behind.
Unless you've suffered depression; take the idiot's way out and STFU.
Jerry 'n Vegas
Because.... stupid?

-------
"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with
the average voter." - Winston Churchill
Vince
Jerry's idea of free speech.
p***@gmail.com
2014-08-21 16:45:19 UTC
Post by VegasJerry
Post by Vince
members left behind.
Unless you've suffered depression; take the idiot's way out and STFU.
People that talk about suicide as 'the coward's way out' have no idea what real honest to goodness debilitating depression is like. They're just ignorant. I had a family member in an Austrian prison who killed his brother. He finally hung himself inside. Nothing wrong with that either. Some people can't take the daily, constant abuse for the rest of their lives. Shouldn't judge them.
btw, his brother was no innocent. Not that he deserved to die, but he committed acts which went against the ten commandments.
ramashiva
2014-08-13 02:14:23 UTC
Post by Paul Popinjay
I am in agreement with Observant Lurker. I have NEVER been amused in anyway whatsoever by the "humor" of Robin Williams. The guy just was not funny, not at all.
I agree. I love Sarah Michelle Gellar, but I couldn't bear to watch her in "The Crazy Ones" because of the overbearing ham-handed comedic style of Robin Williams.

William Coleman (ramashiva)
Pepe Papon
2014-08-13 07:15:51 UTC
On Tue, 12 Aug 2014 19:14:23 -0700 (PDT), ramashiva
Post by ramashiva
Post by Paul Popinjay
I am in agreement with Observant Lurker. I have NEVER been amused in anyway whatsoever by the "humor" of Robin Williams. The guy just was not funny, not at all.
I agree. I love Sarah Michelle Gellar, but I couldn't bear to watch her in "The Crazy Ones" because of the overbearing ham-handed comedic style of Robin Williams.
Williams also tried to play serious roles. He was passable in "Dead
Poets Society". I wasn't impressed with "Garp".
--

Pepe Papon

---
Schmedley
2014-08-13 05:03:45 UTC
Post by Paul Popinjay
handle success, uses cocaine and booze and whatever else, in rehab, ANOTHER
great role model for the
Post by Paul Popinjay
children, hangs himself.
"Genius", get real. What a loser.
Agreed, but a little harsh? Remember, Horses for Courses. A lot of
people liked him. He was one of the last guests on Carson, and he knew a
little about talent.

I remember watching 4 or 5 episodes of Mork and Mindy way back, and the
improv got tired pretty fast. I looked it up and this show ran for 94
episodes! And every one the same. You can fool a lot of people a long
time. As for the show last year, a crass rip of another show about admen,
which is way funnier and great. I liked some of the movies I saw with
him, but will never rewatch them, and he pretty much played himself in
every one. Nice work if you can get it.
Clave
2014-08-13 05:42:33 UTC
<...>
Post by Schmedley
Post by Paul Popinjay
"Genius", get real. What a loser.
Agreed, but a little harsh?
I'd agree with "genius" not in terms of comedic, but sheer smarts,
absolutely.
mo_ntresor
2014-08-13 15:11:53 UTC
Post by Schmedley
Agreed, but a little harsh? Remember, Horses for Courses. A lot of
people liked him. He was one of the last guests on Carson, and he knew a
little about talent.
I remember watching 4 or 5 episodes of Mork and Mindy way back, and the
improv got tired pretty fast. I looked it up and this show ran for 94
episodes! And every one the same. You can fool a lot of people a long
time. As for the show last year, a crass rip of another show about admen,
which is way funnier and great. I liked some of the movies I saw with
him, but will never rewatch them, and he pretty much played himself in
every one. Nice work if you can get it.
i'd imagine playing yourself can be pretty brutal. ever sat down to write
a story or some sort based on real experience and actually jotted down the
honest truth about what you thought and felt? there's risk in that -- a
lot of risk -- and for being able to be straight with the planet, i give
the guy a lot of credit.

again, his comedy annoyed the shit out of me, and i sure as hell wouldn't
want to hang out with a guy who can't turn of his shit, but people need to
take it easy here.

mo_ntresor
Bradley K. Sherman
2014-08-13 15:46:12 UTC
If people are going to say that Robin Williams was not funny,
they should at least tell us who they think *is* funny so
that we can have a good laugh at their expense.

--bks
mo_ntresor
2014-08-13 16:30:57 UTC
Post by Bradley K. Sherman
If people are going to say that Robin Williams was not funny,
they should at least tell us who they think *is* funny so
that we can have a good laugh at their expense.
kind of like your politics. why do you feel the need to convert everybody
to your idiot way of thinking?

mo_ntresor
Bradley K. Sherman
2014-08-13 20:50:42 UTC
Post by mo_ntresor
Post by Bradley K. Sherman
If people are going to say that Robin Williams was not funny,
they should at least tell us who they think *is* funny so
that we can have a good laugh at their expense.
kind of like your politics. why do you feel the need to convert everybody
to your idiot way of thinking?
Mo, that's pretty much the definition of "politics". And just to
make it manifest, in case you want to take up the matter seriously,
my "way of thinking" is realism.

--bks
Paul Popinjay
That's rich. A starry-eyed progressive thinks he's a "realist". Well of course you think you're a realist. If you had any clue what kind of a fantasy world you live in, you wouldn't be in the fantasy. I've never met a stupid person who thought he was stupid. Think about it, fuckface.
Bradley K. Sherman
2014-08-13 23:01:16 UTC
Post by Paul Popinjay
Post by Bradley K. Sherman
Mo, that's pretty much the definition of "politics". And just to
make it manifest, in case you want to take up the matter seriously,
my "way of thinking" is realism.
That's rich. A starry-eyed progressive thinks he's a "realist".
So far, every time you've discussed anything with me your
head has exploded from an unexpected dose of reality. You
can check the record.

--bks
Paul Popinjay
2014-08-14 02:38:11 UTC
Post by Bradley K. Sherman
So far, every time you've discussed anything with me your
head has exploded from an unexpected dose of reality. You
can check the record.
--bks
Play us a tune, something to make us all happy

Do anything, take us out of this gloom

Sing a song, play guitar,

Make it snappy, fuckface
Pepe Papon
2014-08-14 05:42:59 UTC
On Wed, 13 Aug 2014 14:22:54 -0700 (PDT), Paul Popinjay
Post by Paul Popinjay
Post by Bradley K. Sherman
Mo, that's pretty much the definition of "politics". And just to
make it manifest, in case you want to take up the matter seriously,
my "way of thinking" is realism.
--bks
That's rich. A starry-eyed progressive thinks he's a "realist". Well of course you think you're a realist. If you had any clue what kind of a fantasy world you live in, you wouldn't be in the fantasy. I've never met a stupid person who thought he was stupid. Think about it, fuckface.
Are you a realist?

Have you met smart people who think they're stupid?
--

Pepe Papon

---
Paul Popinjay
2014-08-14 06:53:17 UTC
No, I haven't. Why the fuck would a smart person think he was stupid? Huh, dumb ass?
Robert Ladd
2014-08-17 04:47:13 UTC
Post by Paul Popinjay
Post by Bradley K. Sherman
Mo, that's pretty much the definition of "politics". And just to
make it manifest, in case you want to take up the matter seriously,
my "way of thinking" is realism.
--bks
That's rich. A starry-eyed progressive thinks he's a "realist". Well of
course you think you're a realist. If you had any clue what kind of a
fantasy world you live in, you wouldn't be in the fantasy. I've never met
a stupid person who thought he was stupid. Think about it, fuckface.
Are you a realist?
Have you met smart people who think they're stupid?
--
Pepe Papon
Actually, it's smart people that realize how little they know. Moron's have
an answer for almost everything, and almost all of the answers are wrong.

Robert Ladd
Clave
I knew that.
Pepe Papon
2014-08-17 05:33:03 UTC
Post by Robert Ladd
Post by Pepe Papon
Post by Paul Popinjay
That's rich. A starry-eyed progressive thinks he's a "realist". Well of
course you think you're a realist. If you had any clue what kind of a
fantasy world you live in, you wouldn't be in the fantasy. I've never met
a stupid person who thought he was stupid. Think about it, fuckface.
Are you a realist?
Have you met smart people who think they're stupid?
--
Pepe Papon
Actually, it's smart people that realize how little they know. Moron's have
an answer for almost everything, and almost all of the answers are wrong.
Robert Ladd
Do you believe that smart people know how to use apostrophes
correctly?
--

Pepe Papon

---
Clave
The crux of many a bisquit.
Robert Ladd
2014-08-17 15:44:24 UTC
Post by Pepe Papon
Post by Robert Ladd
Post by Pepe Papon
Post by Paul Popinjay
That's rich. A starry-eyed progressive thinks he's a "realist". Well of
course you think you're a realist. If you had any clue what kind of a
fantasy world you live in, you wouldn't be in the fantasy. I've never met
a stupid person who thought he was stupid. Think about it, fuckface.
Are you a realist?
Have you met smart people who think they're stupid?
--
Pepe Papon
Actually, it's smart people that realize how little they know. Moron's have
an answer for almost everything, and almost all of the answers are wrong.
Robert Ladd
Do you believe that smart people know how to use apostrophes
correctly?
--
Pepe Papon
I believe that smart people may know how to use apostrophes correctly, but
don't always spend the time to think about it and may occasionallly not take
the time to re-check what they've written.

I also believe that overly pedantic people lose perspective on what may or
may not be important.

Robert Ladd
da pickle
2014-08-17 19:43:14 UTC
Post by Robert Ladd
Post by Pepe Papon
Post by Robert Ladd
Post by Pepe Papon
Post by Paul Popinjay
[...]
It is to laugh ... should that be "its too laugh" ??? maybe notly ...
LOL ... thanks for that, RL.
Paul Popinjay
2014-08-17 20:04:58 UTC
Should it be "apostrophe's"?
BillB
2014-08-17 17:34:12 UTC
But one thing they do know is that they know a lot more than stupid people.
Tim Norfolk
2014-08-17 18:30:30 UTC
Not even that. Check out the actual experiments in the Dunning-Kruger work.
Pepe Papon
2014-08-18 05:08:28 UTC
Post by BillB
Post by Robert Ladd
Actually, it's smart people that realize how little they know.
But one thing they do know is that they know a lot more than stupid people.
The problem is that stupid people often think they know more than
smart people.
--

Pepe Papon

---
Pepe Papon
2014-08-18 05:09:29 UTC
Post by Robert Ladd
Post by Pepe Papon
Have you met smart people who think they're stupid?
Actually, it's smart people that realize how little they know.
Is that the same as thinking they're stupid?
--

Pepe Papon

---
ramashiva
2014-08-13 17:18:38 UTC
Post by Bradley K. Sherman
If people are going to say that Robin Williams was not funny,
they should at least tell us who they think *is* funny so
that we can have a good laugh at their expense.
Why does it bother you that some people don't think Williams was funny? Are you that insecure in your opinions? Every person's sense of humor is different.

Here are some more comics I don't find even slightly funny --

Steve Martin

Jimmy Fallon

Dave Letterman

Here are some comics and non-comics I find absolutely hilarious --

Jonathan Winters

Jack Paar

Johnny Carson

Jay Leno

Clint Eastwood

Arnold Schwarzenegger

William Coleman (ramashiva)
Tim Norfolk
If you like Winters, it's a little surprising that you didn't like Williams.
Dutch
2014-08-14 00:39:46 UTC
Post by Tim Norfolk
If you like Winters, it's a little surprising that you didn't like Williams.
Jonathan Winters was Robin Williams' idol. Try as he may in my opinion
he was a poor imitation of Winters. I do think he was a solid actor though.

Who's funny these days? Louis C.K. cracks me up.
Paul Popinjay
2014-08-14 02:17:02 UTC
Is that the guy who does a program called 'Louie'? If so, I've seen it maybe three times and thought it was interesting. I would watch it again. There is also some program with a guy that plays another guy's dog. I don't know what it's called, but others probably do. I liked that too. It's weird, but like the other, I think it is interesting.
Dutch
2014-08-14 04:42:22 UTC
Post by Paul Popinjay
Post by Dutch
Who's funny these days? Louis C.K. cracks me up.
Is that the guy who does a program called 'Louie'? If so, I've seen it maybe three times and thought it was interesting. I would watch it again. There is also some program with a guy that plays another guy's dog. I don't know what it's called, but others probably do. I liked that too. It's weird, but like the other, I think it is interesting.
That's him. The series is great. You can watch most of his standup
routines on YouTube.
This is an hour standup show

Paul Popinjay
2014-08-14 05:06:08 UTC
This is an hour standup show http://youtu.be/N-jWVJtpnYw
Ok, thanks. So who is the other guy I mentioned? The one where the guy plays the dog of the other guy? What's that called?
Dutch
2014-08-14 06:25:39 UTC
Post by Paul Popinjay
Post by Dutch
That's him. The series is great. You can watch most of his standup
routines on YouTube.
This is an hour standup show http://youtu.be/N-jWVJtpnYw
Ok, thanks. So who is the other guy I mentioned? The one where the guy plays the dog of the other guy? What's that called?
Family Guy? The dog is Brian Griffin

And this is bizarre

Paul Popinjay
2014-08-14 06:43:02 UTC
Oh for fuck's sake, NOT Family Guy. Wouldn't I say it was a fucking cartoon if that's what I was looking for? For some reason Louie reminded me of this other program, where a man, a REAL man, is dressed up as a dog, not fucking Brian Griffin, sheesh. Wtf is wrong with you?
Clave
2014-08-14 07:50:38 UTC
Post by Dutch
Post by Paul Popinjay
Post by Dutch
That's him. The series is great. You can watch most of his standup
routines on YouTube.
This is an hour standup show http://youtu.be/N-jWVJtpnYw
Ok, thanks. So who is the other guy I mentioned? The one where the guy
plays the dog of the other guy? What's that called?
Family Guy? The dog is Brian Griffin
http://youtu.be/ZtLD3_uuiM8
And this is bizarre http://youtu.be/JAA50BwG3FY
The most pointlessly juvenile, stupid funny two minutes of FG evar:

Clave
2014-08-14 07:52:49 UTC
Post by Dutch
Post by Paul Popinjay
Post by Dutch
That's him. The series is great. You can watch most of his standup
routines on YouTube.
This is an hour standup show http://youtu.be/N-jWVJtpnYw
Ok, thanks. So who is the other guy I mentioned? The one where the guy
plays the dog of the other guy? What's that called?
Family Guy? The dog is Brian Griffin
http://youtu.be/ZtLD3_uuiM8
But I think he was talking about Wilfred:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1703925/
Dutch
Ah, no doubt. Never heard of it. I might give it a look.
Clave
It's an interesting idea that I wanted to like, but didn't.
poopiejay
2014-08-13 19:11:07 UTC
Post by ramashiva
Here are some more comics I don't find even slightly funny --
Steve Martin
over all i agree about martin, except for 'the jerk'. that movie cracks
me up.
Post by ramashiva
Arnold Schwarzenegger
yep. great personality.
Paul Popinjay
2014-08-13 19:40:18 UTC
Post by poopiejay
Post by ramashiva
Arnold Schwarzenegger
yep. great personality.
His name is funny.
Vince
Dave Chappelle
FL Turbo
2014-08-17 12:50:35 UTC
Post by Bradley K. Sherman
If people are going to say that Robin Williams was not funny,
they should at least tell us who they think *is* funny so
that we can have a good laugh at their expense.
--bks
Richard Pryor
George Carlin
Bill Cosby

For not funny, I think the #1 in that category is Joey Bishop.
I can't remember any thing he ever said that was funny.

---
Mossingen
2014-08-21 08:50:29 UTC
"Bradley K. Sherman" wrote in message news:lsg184$oaq$***@reader1.panix.com...

If people are going to say that Robin Williams was not funny,
they should at least tell us who they think *is* funny so
that we can have a good laugh at their expense.

--bks

____________

Jim Jeffereys is light years funnier than Robin Williams. Watch Fully
Functional.
Bradley K. Sherman
2014-08-21 13:28:44 UTC
Post by Bradley K. Sherman
If people are going to say that Robin Williams was not funny,
they should at least tell us who they think *is* funny so
that we can have a good laugh at their expense.
Jim Jeffereys is light years funnier than Robin Williams. Watch Fully
Functional.
Never heard of him, but found this:

(Assuming you meant Jim Jefferies)

It seems to be 90% relationship, 10% drunk humor. Meh.

--bks
BillB
2014-08-21 14:56:21 UTC
http://youtu.be/hArumBDKlxc
(Assuming you meant Jim Jefferies)
It seems to be 90% relationship, 10% drunk humor. Meh.
--bks
I didn't like Robin Williams' comedy schtick. I found it quite tiresome
and often nonsensical. Paradoxically, I thought he was a really good
actor, especially in serious roles.

Who do I like better? Going off this list:

http://comediansincarsgettingcoffee.com/

(great web series, by the way)

Larry David
Ricky Gervais
Carl Reiner
Mel Brooks
David Letterman
Sarah Silverman
Chris Rock
Louis C.K.
Jay Leno
Howard Stern
Jon Stewart
Aziz Ansari
Robert Klein
Jerry Seinfeld

....all better comedians than Willams, imo.
Mossingen
2014-08-21 19:06:39 UTC
Post by Bradley K. Sherman
If people are going to say that Robin Williams was not funny,
they should at least tell us who they think *is* funny so
that we can have a good laugh at their expense.
Jim Jeffereys is light years funnier than Robin Williams. Watch Fully
Functional.
Never heard of him, but found this:
http://youtu.be/hArumBDKlxc
(Assuming you meant Jim Jefferies)

It seems to be 90% relationship, 10% drunk humor. Meh.

--bks

____________________-

He's more of story teller. That airplane story is funny as fuck and clever.
"Everyone is calling me a racist and I'm like...I knoowwww...how do you
knowwwww???
Paul Popinjay
2014-08-21 22:46:17 UTC
Gosh, that was rough. I watched about seven minutes of it, and it was too rough for me. And I'm no prude, not really, anyway. Besides, I used to bust up watching Andrew Dice Clay, and he's pretty rough too. I dunno, I've never seen Jeffries before, maybe it gets better, but I probably won't find out. That's some crude humor there, man.
h***@gmail.com

Rodney Carrington.
h***@gmail.com

Bradley K. Sherman
2014-08-21 15:10:20 UTC
Post by h***@gmail.com
http://youtu.be/Ei3jhe-yl4U

--bks
h***@gmail.com
2014-08-21 15:28:36 UTC
10:10 AMBradley K. Sherman
Post by h***@gmail.com
http://youtu.be/Ei3jhe-yl4U
http://youtu.be/lzQ8GDBA8Is

--bks

The connection escapes me. Unless your saying I'm not high class, which I freely admit to.
Bradley K. Sherman
2014-08-21 15:39:31 UTC
Post by h***@gmail.com
10:10 AMBradley K. Sherman
Post by h***@gmail.com
http://youtu.be/Ei3jhe-yl4U
http://youtu.be/lzQ8GDBA8Is
The connection escapes me. Unless your saying I'm not high class, which I freely admit to.
Exactly. Jokes about screwing fat girls, with the camera showing
pictures of fat girls in the audience? Sorry, not funny. The guy
has a good voice though.

There's no accounting for taste in comedy.

I like this guy, Bobby Slayton:

--bks
h***@gmail.com
2014-08-21 15:48:52 UTC
Post by h***@gmail.com
10:10 AMBradley K. Sherman
Post by h***@gmail.com
http://youtu.be/Ei3jhe-yl4U
http://youtu.be/lzQ8GDBA8Is
The connection escapes me. Unless your saying I'm not high class, which I freely admit to.
Exactly. Jokes about screwing fat girls, with the camera showing
pictures of fat girls in the audience? Sorry, not funny. The guy
has a good voice though.

There's no accounting for taste in comedy.

I like this guy, Bobby Slayton:
http://youtu.be/f5iBUnZX44Q
http://youtu.be/HaOd5T211e0

--bks

Oh well, as you say, no accounting for taste. I've seen Rodney live at least 10 times and he's always put on a knock-em dead show that had the audience in tears from laughing.
BillB
2014-08-21 15:53:21 UTC
That's where I shut him off. What a douche.
h***@gmail.com
2014-08-21 15:59:03 UTC
10:53 AMBillB
You should be proud. Your pretentious douchbaggery fits you like a glove.
BillB
2014-08-21 16:02:06 UTC
Welcome back.
Vince
2014-08-21 20:03:26 UTC
Post by h***@gmail.com
Aug 13Bradley K. Sherman
If people are going to say that Robin Williams was not funny,
they should at least tell us who they think *is* funny so
that we can have a good laugh at their expense
bks
http://youtu.be/Ei3jhe-yl4U
Call and raise

Dave Chappelle Comedy Half Hour. Best Comedian Ever

Pepe Papon
2014-08-14 05:39:14 UTC
Post by Schmedley
I liked some of the movies I saw with
him, but will never rewatch them, and he pretty much played himself in
every one. Nice work if you can get it.
My daughter reminded me today of one movie he was great in - Alladin.
Then again, he was pretty much playing himself.
--

Pepe Papon

---
Pepe Papon
2014-08-13 07:14:05 UTC
On Tue, 12 Aug 2014 18:02:19 -0700 (PDT), Paul Popinjay
Post by Paul Popinjay
I am in agreement with Observant Lurker. I have NEVER been amused in anyway whatsoever by the "humor" of Robin Williams. The guy just was not funny, not at all. "Comic genius" my ass. And the news is covering him more than they covered Nelson Mandela. The world is on fire, in Iraq, Gaza, Ukraine, and every time I turn on the news either television or radio, they're talking about Robin Williams.
I am reminded of when Whitney Houston died and the world was stunned. My first thought was, BFD, another crack whore with more money than God but can't handle the success, dies in a bathtub. Move on folks, nothing to see here.
The difference is that Whitney Houston was extremely talented. Robin
Williams hit his peak with Mork and Mindy. OTOH, the best thing
about that show was Mindy.
--

Pepe Papon

---
Paul Popinjay
2014-08-13 12:07:26 UTC
You're certainly right on that. Very talented.
mockinjay
2014-08-13 14:36:51 UTC
Post by Paul Popinjay
handle success, uses cocaine and booze and whatever else, in rehab, ANOTHER
great role model for the
Post by Paul Popinjay
children, hangs himself.
"Genius", get real. What a loser.
In a lot of ways Robin was like Jerry Lewis.. just silly. But as far as
his addictions depression and suicide goes I won't pass judgement.
Comic genius...

Paul Popinjay
2014-08-13 18:15:04 UTC
Post by mockinjay
In a lot of ways Robin was like Jerry Lewis.. just silly. But as far as
his addictions depression and suicide goes I won't pass judgement.
Comic genius...
http://youtu.be/q5_V9RT8aR8
Don Rickles is funny. An acquired taste, there are probably some people who don't like his style either. But I think he's funny.

I do empathize with how tortured someone, anyone, must be to kill themselves. And it destroys the loved ones left behind. Tragic.
Pepe Papon
2014-08-14 05:47:02 UTC
On Wed, 13 Aug 2014 11:15:04 -0700 (PDT), Paul Popinjay
Post by Paul Popinjay
Post by mockinjay
In a lot of ways Robin was like Jerry Lewis.. just silly. But as far as
his addictions depression and suicide goes I won't pass judgement.
Comic genius...
http://youtu.be/q5_V9RT8aR8
Don Rickles is funny. An acquired taste, there are probably some people who don't like his style either. But I think he's funny.
Is Joan Rivers still around? She was funny.
--

Pepe Papon

---
p***@gmail.com
2014-08-21 16:47:27 UTC
Post by Paul Popinjay
Post by mockinjay
In a lot of ways Robin was like Jerry Lewis.. just silly. But as far as
his addictions depression and suicide goes I won't pass judgement.
Comic genius...
http://youtu.be/q5_V9RT8aR8
Don Rickles is funny. An acquired taste, there are probably some people who don't like his style either. But I think he's funny.
Phil Silvers is funny. So is Private Doberman. That was a hilarious show. So was Green Acres and many more.
mary in vegas
2014-08-13 20:32:20 UTC
Post by Paul Popinjay
handle success, uses cocaine and booze and whatever else, in rehab, ANOTHER
great role model for the
Post by Paul Popinjay
children, hangs himself.
"Genius", get real. What a loser.
you know paul...it's your perfect right to not appreciate robin William's
humor. it's a free country. however, you seem to know nothing about
clinical depression. it's not just 'feeling blue' for a few days...it's a
terrible struggle. for all we know, he could have tried self medicating
thru his use of alcohol and drugs. we simply don't know. try having a
little compassion for a fellow human being. we know nothing of his
personal life..not really. I HATE when people call those who commit
suicide COWARDS. a person is in despair, and their mind is not thinking
logically. give the guy and others like him a break. jmho

mary in vegas
Paul Popinjay
2014-08-13 20:57:26 UTC
Post by mary in vegas
you know paul...it's your perfect right to not appreciate robin William's
humor. it's a free country. however, you seem to know nothing about
clinical depression. it's not just 'feeling blue' for a few days...it's a
terrible struggle. for all we know, he could have tried self medicating
thru his use of alcohol and drugs. we simply don't know. try having a
little compassion for a fellow human being. we know nothing of his
personal life..not really. I HATE when people call those who commit
suicide COWARDS. a person is in despair, and their mind is not thinking
logically. give the guy and others like him a break. jmho
mary in vegas
I didn't call him a coward. Try reading for comprehension, or try to follow who actually posted what you think you are replying to.

I've had enough friends in my life end it all, I've been soaked in their blood rushing from a slashed artery, I've personally cut down a friend hanging in his cell by a bedsheet. Don't tell me about depression, I've been boxed up with people who have NO hope. One of the first words I learned to spell was thorazine. You sound like you think I'm glad Williams is dead. I'm not.
Vince
2014-08-13 21:25:14 UTC
On Wednesday, August 13, 2014 1:32:20 PM UTC-7, mary in vegas
Post by mary in vegas
I HATE when people call those who
commit
suicide COWARDS. a person is in despair, and their mind is
not thinking
logically. give the guy and others like him a break. jmho
I didn't call him a coward. Try reading for comprehension, or
try to follow who actually posted what you think you are
replying to.
I've had enough friends in my life end it all, I've been
soaked in their blood rushing from a slashed artery, I've
personally cut down a friend hanging in his cell by a
bedsheet. Don't tell me about depression, I've been boxed up
with people who have NO hope. One of the first words I
learned to spell was thorazine. You sound like you think I'm
glad Williams is dead. I'm not.
Perhaps I went too far by calling him a coward, because one
shouldn't speak ill of the dead.
But it wasn't like he couldn't afford the best treatment that
money could buy. Depression IS treatable, AFAIK.
Paul Popinjay
Whether or not it was "cowardly", it's obvious that a person must be tortured in his mind to resort to something so final. It's sad, and I empathize, but it's impossible to put myself in their shoes. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. Unless, of course, I hated them.
Pepe Papon
2014-08-14 06:03:38 UTC
Post by Vince
Perhaps I went too far by calling him a coward, because one
shouldn't speak ill of the dead.
But it wasn't like he couldn't afford the best treatment that
money could buy. Depression IS treatable, AFAIK.
Treatment doesn't always work.
--

Pepe Papon

---
Clave
And it's pretty much trial-and-error until it maybe does.
Paul Popinjay
2014-08-14 06:56:32 UTC
Oh shut up. Why is your opinion worth anything in this thread? Go snark yourself to death.
Vince
2014-08-15 01:46:45 UTC
Post by Pepe Papon
Post by Vince
Perhaps I went too far by calling him a coward, because one
shouldn't speak ill of the dead.
But it wasn't like he couldn't afford the best treatment that
money could buy. Depression IS treatable, AFAIK.
Treatment doesn't always work.
Some might find it impossible to do what is needed to be treated.
Like knock off the booze and drugs. Stay on the meds, etc.
What I really don't get is why would a person select a violent way
to die? That makes me think they really hate themselves, or are
honestly insane.
Pepe Papon
2014-08-16 06:33:16 UTC
Post by Vince
Post by Pepe Papon
Post by Vince
Perhaps I went too far by calling him a coward, because one
shouldn't speak ill of the dead.
But it wasn't like he couldn't afford the best treatment that
money could buy. Depression IS treatable, AFAIK.
Treatment doesn't always work.
Some might find it impossible to do what is needed to be treated.
Like knock off the booze and drugs. Stay on the meds, etc.
What I really don't get is why would a person select a violent way
to die? That makes me think they really hate themselves, or are
honestly insane.
Some people do everything they can, and the treatment still doesn't
work. Meds are not effective for everyone.

Also, alcoholism is a disease. It's circular reasoning to say that,
by not stopping, they're not doing what is needed to be treated. By
definition, the treatment hasn't worked if they can't stop drinking.
--

Pepe Papon

---
VegasJerry
2014-08-14 20:56:45 UTC
Post by Vince
Post by Vince
shouldn't speak ill of the dead.
No, it's because you're truly ignorant of what depression is and what it does to a person.
LOL @ "AFAIK." Cancer is treatable, too; but it doesn't mean it can be cured. For some, the only way out of the pain of depression, is death.

Jerry 'n Vegas
mo_ntresor
2014-08-13 20:51:08 UTC
Post by mary in vegas
you know paul...it's your perfect right to not appreciate robin William's
humor. it's a free country. however, you seem to know nothing about
clinical depression. it's not just 'feeling blue' for a few days...it's a
terrible struggle. for all we know, he could have tried self medicating
thru his use of alcohol and drugs. we simply don't know. try having a
little compassion for a fellow human being. we know nothing of his
personal life..not really. I HATE when people call those who commit
suicide COWARDS. a person is in despair, and their mind is not thinking
logically. give the guy and others like him a break. jmho
he's not just a coward; he's a selfish coward. inflicting pain like that
on your family is beyond reproach. truly pathetic.

mo_ntresor
Paul Popinjay
2014-08-13 21:29:17 UTC
You know what, Mo? I'm a coward. Honestly, as patriotic as I like to think of myself as, if I had been drafted during the Vietnam War, I would have gone to Canada. Cowardly, and pathetic, yes, but that's what I would have done. I'm afraid of dying. It's a good thing I was in jail when I turned draft age. In jail, where it was safe.
Pepe Papon
2014-08-14 05:50:01 UTC
On Wed, 13 Aug 2014 14:29:17 -0700 (PDT), Paul Popinjay
Post by Paul Popinjay
Post by mo_ntresor
he's not just a coward; he's a selfish coward. inflicting pain like that
on your family is beyond reproach. truly pathetic.
mo_ntresor
You know what, Mo? I'm a coward. Honestly, as patriotic as I like to think of myself as, if I had been drafted during the Vietnam War, I would have gone to Canada. Cowardly, and pathetic, yes, but that's what I would have done. I'm afraid of dying. It's a good thing I was in jail when I turned draft age. In jail, where it was safe.
I admire your honesty. I'd have done whatever I could to avoid
combat.
--

Pepe Papon

---
Vince
2014-08-13 21:32:57 UTC
Post by mo_ntresor
Post by mary in vegas
you know paul...it's your perfect right to not appreciate
robin William's humor. it's a free country. however, you
seem to know nothing about clinical depression. it's not
just 'feeling blue' for a few days...it's a terrible
struggle. for all we know, he could have tried self
medicating thru his use of alcohol and drugs. we simply
don't know. try having a little compassion for a fellow
human being. we know nothing of his personal life..not
really. I HATE when people call those who commit suicide
COWARDS. a person is in despair, and their mind is not
thinking logically. give the guy and others like him a
break. jmho
he's not just a coward; he's a selfish coward. inflicting
pain like that on your family is beyond reproach. truly
pathetic.
That's what I was thinking.
Life is for the living, so who knows what guilt his family will
carry around, always wondering if they could have done more to help
him.
Paul Popinjay
Close friends of mine, their little girl I knew when she was 8, killed herself when she was 31. Destroyed the parents. Just destroyed them. Absolutely devastated them. I'm still shaking my head about it, and that was ten years ago. I just don't get it.
Vince
2014-08-13 22:15:35 UTC
Post by Paul Popinjay
Post by Vince
Life is for the living, so who knows what guilt his family
will
carry around, always wondering if they could have done more
to help him.
Close friends of mine, their little girl I knew when she was
8, killed herself when she was 31. Destroyed the parents.
Just destroyed them. Absolutely devastated them. I'm still
shaking my head about it, and that was ten years ago. I just
don't get it.
I've never known anyone that took their own life.
It could be that the person cannot continue doing what they want to
do, or don't get the satisfaction anymore from doing it. And/or
they are unable to replace it with something that keeps them
occupied, satisfied, and busy.
Dutch
2014-08-14 00:51:39 UTC
Post by Vince
Post by Paul Popinjay
Post by Vince
Life is for the living, so who knows what guilt his family
will
carry around, always wondering if they could have done more
to help him.
Close friends of mine, their little girl I knew when she was
8, killed herself when she was 31. Destroyed the parents.
Just destroyed them. Absolutely devastated them. I'm still
shaking my head about it, and that was ten years ago. I just
don't get it.
I've never known anyone that took their own life.
It could be that the person cannot continue doing what they want to
do, or don't get the satisfaction anymore from doing it. And/or
they are unable to replace it with something that keeps them
occupied, satisfied, and busy.
It's more like a chemical imbalance in the brain which causes a
terrible, relentless, overwhelming feeling of hopelessness and/or
anxiety. Obviously the circumstances of one's life are of little
relevance, since Williams by all appearances, "had it all".
BillB
2014-08-14 01:59:37 UTC
Post by Dutch
It's more like a chemical imbalance in the brain which causes a
terrible, relentless, overwhelming feeling of hopelessness and/or
anxiety. Obviously the circumstances of one's life are of little
relevance, since Williams by all appearances, "had it all".
Not really. He recently had to sell his $35 million winery and estate.
Life can be so cruel sometimes.
Robert Ladd

Robert Ladd
Pepe Papon
2014-08-14 06:02:14 UTC
Post by Vince
I've never known anyone that took their own life.
When I was a kid, I had an uncle who committed suicide. He'd been
struggling with depression and other problems since his childhood.

Two acquaintances have killed themselves. One of them got drunk and
put a gun to his head. The other hung herself. Even though I wasn't
close friends with either one, both incidents were shocking and
depressing.
--

Pepe Papon

---
Paul Popinjay
I had a friend who shot himself. I think back on all the times when I was at his house and he had a little to drink and started waving that fucking gun around, used to make me nervous. He got very weird when drinking. He was a poker dealer, and was just as charming as could be when dealing. I'd take his girlfriend home on his day off and he'd already be loopey when we got there. One day, I was at my house and got the phone call, he just up and put that gun to his head in front of his girlfriend and her daughter, just like I had seen him fucking around before, but this time he splattered his brains across the room in front of everyone. I really liked him, but that could have been my brains splattering on his wall. Booze brought out his sickness.
VegasJerry
2014-08-14 21:07:30 UTC
Post by Paul Popinjay
Post by Pepe Papon
Two acquaintances have killed themselves. One of them got drunk and
put a gun to his head. The other hung herself. Even though I wasn't
close friends with either one, both incidents were shocking and
depressing.
.>
Post by Paul Popinjay
I had a friend who shot himself. I think back on all the times when I was at his house and he had a little to drink and started waving that fucking gun around, used to make me nervous. He got very weird when drinking. He was a poker dealer, and was just as charming as could be when dealing. I'd take his girlfriend home on his day off and he'd already be loopey when we got there. One day, I was at my house and got the phone call, he just up and put that gun to his head in front of his girlfriend and her daughter, just like I had seen him fucking around before, but this time he splattered his brains across the room in front of everyone. I really liked him, but that could have been my brains splattering on his wall. Booze brought out his sickness.
My barber shot himself. He'd been battling cancer for over 10-years and apparently couldn't take the pain. Without telling anyone, he called his best friend to come over to 'help him with a project;' then got in the bathtub (to make less of a mess). When he heard the doorbell, he waited until his wife answer the door, and he shot himself. The 'friend' was to help the wife through the ordeal.

Suicide is now legal in Oregon, under special circumstances.

Jerry 'n Vegas
da pickle
Suicide is not illegal anywhere ... it is fatal.
Tim Norfolk
2014-08-15 01:08:15 UTC
Post by da pickle
Post by VegasJerry
It has been. From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_legislation

In ancient Athens, a person who had committed suicide (without the approval of the state) was denied the honours of a normal burial. The person would be buried alone, on the outskirts of the city, without a headstone or marker.[3] A criminal ordinance issued by Louis XIV in 1670 was far more severe in its punishment: the dead person's body was drawn through the streets, face down, and then hung or thrown on a garbage heap. Additionally, all of the person's property was confiscated.[4]
da pickle
2014-08-15 13:24:55 UTC
Post by Tim Norfolk
Post by da pickle
Post by VegasJerry
Suicide is now legal in Oregon, under special circumstances.
Jerry 'n Vegas
Suicide is not illegal anywhere ... it is fatal.
It has been. From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_legislation
In ancient Athens, a person who had committed suicide (without the approval of the state) was denied the honours of a normal burial. The person would be buried alone, on the outskirts of the city, without a headstone or marker.[3] A criminal ordinance issued by Louis XIV in 1670 was far more severe in its punishment: the dead person's body was drawn through the streets, face down, and then hung or thrown on a garbage heap. Additionally, all of the person's property was confiscated.[4]
Your article does not support the comment that suicide was "illegal" ...
even in ancient Athens. ( Did the body-defendant in old France get a
fair jury trial before it was desecrated? )

Show me the old "suicide is illegal" statute in Oregon, twit.
Tim Norfolk
2014-08-15 17:33:18 UTC
Post by da pickle
Post by Tim Norfolk
Post by da pickle
Post by VegasJerry
[...]
I couldn't find a reference at short notice, but there was a case in New England where they finally decided to hang the dead person as punishment.

I believe that the French reference refers to a 'criminal ordinance'.
Clave
2014-08-14 06:55:43 UTC
Post by Pepe Papon
Post by Vince
I've never known anyone that took their own life.
When I was a kid, I had an uncle who committed suicide. He'd been
struggling with depression and other problems since his childhood.
Two acquaintances have killed themselves. One of them got drunk and
put a gun to his head. The other hung herself. Even though I wasn't
close friends with either one, both incidents were shocking and
depressing.
Arguably, it could be worse. A work acquaintance of mine ate a rifle --
through the chin and out the top of his head, huge mess. I saw him a couple
of years (and a couple dozen reconstructive surgeries) later. He was
basically propped up in his dad's pickup. He wasn't able to speak, but he
nodded in my direction -- I really doubt it was in recognition. He was
totally dependent on others for *EVERYTHING* and will probably live another
30+ years in that condition.
VegasJerry
2014-08-14 20:53:09 UTC
Post by mo_ntresor
Post by mary in vegas
you know paul...it's your perfect right to not appreciate robin William's
humor. it's a free country. however, you seem to know nothing about
clinical depression. it's not just 'feeling blue' for a few days...it's a
terrible struggle. for all we know, he could have tried self medicating
thru his use of alcohol and drugs. we simply don't know. try having a
little compassion for a fellow human being. we know nothing of his
personal life..not really. I HATE when people call those who commit
suicide COWARDS. a person is in despair, and their mind is not thinking
logically. give the guy and others like him a break. jmho
.
.> he's not just a coward; he's a selfish coward.

And you remain a pathetically ignorant person. Even signed your name to it.

Jerry 'n Vegas

inflicting pain like that
mo_ntresor
p***@gmail.com
2014-08-21 16:40:06 UTC
Post by Paul Popinjay
I am in agreement with Observant Lurker. I have NEVER been amused in anyway whatsoever by the "humor" of Robin Williams. The guy just was not funny, not at all. "Comic genius" my ass. And the news is covering him more than they covered Nelson Mandela. The world is on fire, in Iraq, Gaza, Ukraine, and every time I turn on the news either television or radio, they're talking about Robin Williams.
He was OK in Mork and Mindy, although I think Johnathen Winters was great. Robin Williams was a better dramatic actor than a comedian.