OT: Popinjay on Robin Williams
Paul Popinjay
2014-08-13 01:02:19 UTC
I am in agreement with Observant Lurker. I have NEVER been amused in anyway whatsoever by the "humor" of Robin Williams. The guy just was not funny, not at all. "Comic genius" my ass. And the news is covering him more than they covered Nelson Mandela. The world is on fire, in Iraq, Gaza, Ukraine, and every time I turn on the news either television or radio, they're talking about Robin Williams.

I am reminded of when Whitney Houston died and the world was stunned. My first thought was, BFD, another crack whore with more money than God but can't handle the success, dies in a bathtub. Move on folks, nothing to see here.

Same thing now, BFD. An unfunny, unnoteworthy, Hollywood person with more money than God, can't handle success, uses cocaine and booze and whatever else, in rehab, ANOTHER great role model for the children, hangs himself.

"Genius", get real. What a loser.
Bradley K. Sherman
2014-08-13 01:14:57 UTC
Post by Paul Popinjay
I am in agreement with Observant Lurker. I have NEVER been amused in
anyway whatsoever by the "humor" of Robin Williams. ...
Oh, c'mon. Now this is funny:

| Michael Jackson was taking Propofol to sleep, which is like
| doing chemotherapy because you're tired of shaving your head

<Robin Williams>

--bks
Paul Popinjay
2014-08-13 01:18:08 UTC
Post by Bradley K. Sherman

| Michael Jackson was taking Propofol to sleep, which is like
| doing chemotherapy because you're tired of shaving your head

<Robin Williams>
--bks
Well, that's different. Michael Jackson jokes are funny.

But that was clever, somewhat.
Mossingen
2014-08-21 08:48:05 UTC
Post by Bradley K. Sherman

| Michael Jackson was taking Propofol to sleep, which is like
| doing chemotherapy because you're tired of shaving your head

<Robin Williams>
--bks
Well, that's different. Michael Jackson jokes are funny.

But that was clever, somewhat.

_____________________

I agree with you, paul on the comedy bit. I don't think Williams was all
that funny most of the time. That frenetic delivery of his stream of
consciousness schtick never impressed me, but he was a very good actor in
serious roles such as Good Will Hunting. He was a talented entertainer, but
overrated in my opinion.
Vince
2014-08-13 01:20:58 UTC
Post by Paul Popinjay
I am in agreement with Observant Lurker. I have NEVER been
amused in anyway whatsoever by the "humor" of Robin Williams.
The guy just was not funny, not at all. "Comic genius" my
ass. And the news is covering him more than they covered
Nelson Mandela. The world is on fire, in Iraq, Gaza, Ukraine,
and every time I turn on the news either television or radio,
they're talking about Robin Williams.
I agree with this post.
He's getting more TV coverage than JFK. The news vultures are
milking the hell of it.
He took the coward way out, not giving a shit about those family
members left behind.
VegasJerry
2014-08-13 13:37:31 UTC
.
.> He took the coward way out, not giving a shit about those family
Post by Vince
members left behind.
Unless you've suffered depression; take the idiot's way out and STFU.

Jerry 'n Vegas
Dave the Clueless
2014-08-13 17:46:11 UTC
Post by Vince
members left behind.
Unless you've suffered depression; take the idiot's way out and STFU.
Jerry 'n Vegas
Because.... stupid?

-------
"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with
the average voter." - Winston Churchill
Vince
Jerry's idea of free speech.
p***@gmail.com
2014-08-21 16:45:19 UTC
Post by VegasJerry
Post by Vince
members left behind.
Unless you've suffered depression; take the idiot's way out and STFU.
People that talk about suicide as 'the coward's way out' have no idea what real honest to goodness debilitating depression is like. They're just ignorant. I had a family member in an Austrian prison who killed his brother. He finally hung himself inside. Nothing wrong with that either. Some people can't take the daily, constant abuse for the rest of their lives. Shouldn't judge them.
btw, his brother was no innocent. Not that he deserved to die, but he committed acts which went against the ten commandments.
ramashiva
2014-08-13 02:14:23 UTC
Post by Paul Popinjay
I am in agreement with Observant Lurker. I have NEVER been amused in anyway whatsoever by the "humor" of Robin Williams. The guy just was not funny, not at all.
I agree. I love Sarah Michelle Gellar, but I couldn't bear to watch her in "The Crazy Ones" because of the overbearing ham-handed comedic style of Robin Williams.

William Coleman (ramashiva)
Pepe Papon
2014-08-13 07:15:51 UTC
On Tue, 12 Aug 2014 19:14:23 -0700 (PDT), ramashiva
Post by ramashiva
Post by Paul Popinjay
I am in agreement with Observant Lurker. I have NEVER been amused in anyway whatsoever by the "humor" of Robin Williams. The guy just was not funny, not at all.
I agree. I love Sarah Michelle Gellar, but I couldn't bear to watch her in "The Crazy Ones" because of the overbearing ham-handed comedic style of Robin Williams.
Williams also tried to play serious roles. He was passable in "Dead
Poets Society". I wasn't impressed with "Garp".
--

Pepe Papon

---
Schmedley
2014-08-13 05:03:45 UTC
Post by Paul Popinjay
handle success, uses cocaine and booze and whatever else, in rehab, ANOTHER
great role model for the
Post by Paul Popinjay
children, hangs himself.
"Genius", get real. What a loser.
Agreed, but a little harsh? Remember, Horses for Courses. A lot of
people liked him. He was one of the last guests on Carson, and he knew a
little about talent.

I remember watching 4 or 5 episodes of Mork and Mindy way back, and the
improv got tired pretty fast. I looked it up and this show ran for 94
episodes! And every one the same. You can fool a lot of people a long
time. As for the show last year, a crass rip of another show about admen,
which is way funnier and great. I liked some of the movies I saw with
him, but will never rewatch them, and he pretty much played himself in
every one. Nice work if you can get it.
Clave
2014-08-13 05:42:33 UTC
<...>
Post by Schmedley
Post by Paul Popinjay
"Genius", get real. What a loser.
Agreed, but a little harsh?
I'd agree with "genius" not in terms of comedic, but sheer smarts,
absolutely.
mo_ntresor
2014-08-13 15:11:53 UTC
Post by Schmedley
Agreed, but a little harsh? Remember, Horses for Courses. A lot of
people liked him. He was one of the last guests on Carson, and he knew a
little about talent.
I remember watching 4 or 5 episodes of Mork and Mindy way back, and the
improv got tired pretty fast. I looked it up and this show ran for 94
episodes! And every one the same. You can fool a lot of people a long
time. As for the show last year, a crass rip of another show about admen,
which is way funnier and great. I liked some of the movies I saw with
him, but will never rewatch them, and he pretty much played himself in
every one. Nice work if you can get it.
i'd imagine playing yourself can be pretty brutal. ever sat down to write
a story or some sort based on real experience and actually jotted down the
honest truth about what you thought and felt? there's risk in that -- a
lot of risk -- and for being able to be straight with the planet, i give
the guy a lot of credit.

again, his comedy annoyed the shit out of me, and i sure as hell wouldn't
want to hang out with a guy who can't turn of his shit, but people need to
take it easy here.

mo_ntresor
Bradley K. Sherman
2014-08-13 15:46:12 UTC
If people are going to say that Robin Williams was not funny,
they should at least tell us who they think *is* funny so
that we can have a good laugh at their expense.

--bks
mo_ntresor
2014-08-13 16:30:57 UTC
Post by Bradley K. Sherman
If people are going to say that Robin Williams was not funny,
they should at least tell us who they think *is* funny so
that we can have a good laugh at their expense.
kind of like your politics. why do you feel the need to convert everybody
to your idiot way of thinking?

mo_ntresor
Bradley K. Sherman
2014-08-13 20:50:42 UTC
Post by mo_ntresor
Post by Bradley K. Sherman
If people are going to say that Robin Williams was not funny,
they should at least tell us who they think *is* funny so
that we can have a good laugh at their expense.
kind of like your politics. why do you feel the need to convert everybody
to your idiot way of thinking?
Mo, that's pretty much the definition of "politics". And just to
make it manifest, in case you want to take up the matter seriously,
my "way of thinking" is realism.

--bks
Paul Popinjay
2014-08-13 21:22:54 UTC
Post by Bradley K. Sherman
Mo, that's pretty much the definition of "politics". And just to
make it manifest, in case you want to take up the matter seriously,
my "way of thinking" is realism.
--bks
That's rich. A starry-eyed progressive thinks he's a "realist". Well of course you think you're a realist. If you had any clue what kind of a fantasy wo