OT: Hotel in Rwanda..........
dentcat
2005-02-14 03:57:00 UTC
I pity you.
Great Movie...Don Cheadle and Jamie Foxx are gonna have to duke it out
over that Oscar.....
I bet Bubba is happy that the GENOCIDE that occured on his watch is now
gonna be shown to millions.....I hope he sees souls of the dead Tutsi's
in
his sleep...and no I'm not forgetting about the French and Brits who
also
turned their back....
Happy Valentine's Day
* New Release: RecPoker.com v2.1 - http://www.recpoker.com
mjostar
2005-02-14 05:06:06 UTC
I have not seen "Hotel Rwanda" yet but hear it's a great film and that Don
Cheadle did a wonderful job. I saw Cheadle doing an interview on the Black
Entertainment Network about his role in the movie. It was an interesting
interview although Cheadle said he believes the genocide between the two
tribes (Hutus vs. Tusis) is, big surprise, all white people's fault.
Although tribal wars were going on in Africa for a thousand years before the
first white man set foot on the continent, I guess admitting that wouldn't
play very well on the Black Entertainment Network. Oh well.

Irish Mike
Watch Lists, Block Lists, Favorites - http://www.recpoker.com
Mac Cooler
2005-02-14 11:28:20 UTC
Post by mjostar
I have not seen "Hotel Rwanda" yet but hear it's a great film and that Don
Cheadle did a wonderful job. I saw Cheadle doing an interview on the Black
Entertainment Network about his role in the movie. It was an interesting
interview although Cheadle said he believes the genocide between the two
tribes (Hutus vs. Tusis) is, big surprise, all white people's fault.
Although tribal wars were going on in Africa for a thousand years before the
first white man set foot on the continent, I guess admitting that wouldn't
play very well on the Black Entertainment Network. Oh well.
Irish Mike
Sadly it is typical PC claptrap. The usual hand-wringing liberals are
talking it up. It does not deserve a nomination. I like Don as an actor,
but he has been sucked into the lefty camps out in Cali.

For that matter neither does "Million Dollar Baby". I like Clint Eastwood,
but he is not being honest about this movie. It is nothing more than an ad
for assisted suicide. What used to be called murder.
ACS
2005-02-14 04:40:40 UTC
It's no Boogeyman, but it's ok. I smell an Oscar for Boogeyman. Save
this post.
It's a great movie. It can bring you to tears and it's all
true. The same thing keeps happening all over the
world, and it will keep happening.
I think President Clinton said that not intervening was
the biggest regret of his Presidency. It's a tough thing
that he has to live with and he's not alone.
Other than that Don Cheadle will have to wait. Jaime
Foxx has it locked up.
Howard Beale
"I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!"
http://PokerUpdates.com
------
unknown
2005-02-14 04:35:17 UTC

--
Read, Post, and Reply to RGP Posts at
http://LiveActionPoker.com

February Show Now On The Air At:
http://PokerUpdates.com
Evan Riley
2005-02-15 00:31:31 UTC
I think President Clinton said that not intervening was
the biggest regret of his Presidency. It's a tough thing
that he has to live with and he's not alone.
Yet he DID intervene in Bosnia. Why intervene in Bosnia when 100X as many
people were being slaughtered in Rwanda and Sudan? Whatever the reason, a
republican president would not have done anything in Africa either.
Ultimately I believe the U.N. is at the very top of the responsibility list.
They have blood on their hands as far as I'm concerned.
unknown
2005-02-15 03:59:20 UTC
Yet he DID intervene in Bosnia. Why intervene in
Bosnia when 100X as many
people were being slaughtered in Rwanda and
Sudan? Whatever the reason, a
republican president would not have done anything in
Africa either.
Ultimately I believe the U.N. is at the very top of the
responsibility list.
They have blood on their hands as far as I'm
concerned.
- - - - - - -

That's why I said he's not alone. I feel that we, as
Americans, are often too hard on ourselves. We don't
have the resources to police the world. There's much
we can do but we can't do it all. In Rwanda, according
to the movie, it was the Belgians who were the
colonizers and the creators of the different tribes who
were of one people before their artificially created
distinction. They had the history and the troops and
took little or no action. In Bosnia there was a delay on
action on our part because President Clinton, rightly to
my way of thinking, thought that the Europeans, who
were right there, should have taken the lead. They are
ditherers and hand wringers all, it seems.

I don't place partisan responsibilty on this matter.

HB

http://PokerUpdates.com
Rich Shipley
2005-02-15 16:00:43 UTC
Post by unknown
In Rwanda, according
to the movie, it was the Belgians who were the
colonizers and the creators of the different tribes who
were of one people before their artificially created
distinction.
If the movie says that, it is rather wrong. The two tribes are a reflection
of an ancient racial division that you see in many African countries. I'm
sure the Begians exploited this, but they didn't create it out of nothing.

Rich

mjostar

yo yo ma
The Largest Online Poker Community - http://www.recpoker.com
The Beast
2005-02-14 21:03:20 UTC
"I bet Bubba is happy that the GENOCIDE that occured on his watch is now
gonna be shown to millions"

It just always seems to be the same. The world stood by for the
Holocaust, and said 'never again'. But the UN is never going to do
anything about it. Maybe, if both parties agree to a truce, they'll
send in some peacekeepers. Nothing happened in Greater Serbia. The EU
has 4 members of the G7, right? It was like they were paralyzed with
fear by a little tiny mouse at their feet.

How long have the atrocities been going on in the Sudan (incidently, is
the Sudan still on the UN human rights commission?)? Is it a
half-Rwanda, or a quarter-Rwanda? The UN is going to do nothing except
talk. No one is going to do anything. Maybe, someday, if and when we
finish with Iraq, maybe the US will do something, but probably not.

I think the UN is the last best chance the world has, but for all the
high-minded speeches, nothing will get done. 'Never again' never had a
chance.