OT: Republicans -- Don't you just love them?
LizardKing
2004-09-01 20:31:54 UTC
From http://www.inthesetimes.com/site/main/article/979/

August 26, 2004

We're Not in Lake Wobegon Anymore
How did the Party of Lincoln and Liberty transmogrify into the party of
Newt Gingrich's evil spawn and their Etch-A-Sketch president, a dull and
rigid man, whose philosophy is a jumble of badly sutured body parts trying
to walk?

By Garrison Keillor

Something has gone seriously haywire with the Republican Party. Once, it
was the party of pragmatic Main Street businessmen in steel-rimmed
spectacles who decried profligacy and waste, were devoted to their
communities and supported the sort of prosperity that raises all ships.
They were good-hearted people who vanquished the gnarlier elements of
their party, the paranoid Roosevelt-haters, the flat Earthers and
Prohibitionists, the antipapist antiforeigner element. The genial
Eisenhower was their man, a genuine American hero of D-Day, who made it OK
for reasonable people to vote Republican. He brought the Korean War to a
stalemate, produced the Interstate Highway System, declined to rescue the
French colonial army in Vietnam, and gave us a period of peace and
prosperity, in which (oddly) American arts and letters flourished and
higher education burgeoned-and there was a degree of plain decency in the
country. Fifties Republicans were giants compared to today's. Richard
Nixon was the last Republican leader to feel a Christian obligation toward
the poor.

In the years between Nixon and Newt Gingrich, the party migrated southward
down the Twisting Trail of Rhetoric and sneered at the idea of public
service and became the Scourge of Liberalism, the Great Crusade Against
the Sixties, the Death Star of Government, a gang of pirates that diverted
and fascinated the media by their sheer chutzpah, such as the misty-eyed
flag-waving of Ronald Reagan who, while George McGovern flew bombers in
World War II, took a pass and made training films in Long Beach. The Nixon
moderate vanished like the passenger pigeon, purged by a legion of angry
white men who rose to power on pure punk politics. "Bipartisanship is
another term of date rape," says Grover Norquist, the Sid Vicious of the
GOP. "I don't want to abolish government. I simply want to reduce it to
the size where I can drag it into the bathroom and drown it in the
bathtub." The boy has Oedipal problems and government is his daddy.

The party of Lincoln and Liberty was transmogrified into the party of
hairy-backed swamp developers and corporate shills, faith-based
economists, fundamentalist bullies with Bibles, Christians of convenience,
freelance racists, misanthropic frat boys, shrieking midgets of AM radio,
tax cheats, nihilists in golf pants, brownshirts in pinstripes, sweatshop
tycoons, hacks, fakirs, aggressive dorks, Lamborghini libertarians, people
who believe Neil Armstrong's moonwalk was filmed in Roswell, New Mexico,
little honkers out to diminish the rest of us, Newt's evil spawn and their
Etch-A-Sketch president, a dull and rigid man suspicious of the free flow
of information and of secular institutions, whose philosophy is a jumble
of badly sutured body parts trying to walk. Republicans: The No.1 reason
the rest of the world thinks we're deaf, dumb and dangerous.

Rich ironies abound! Lies pop up like toadstools in the forest! Wild swine
crowd round the public trough! Outrageous gerrymandering! Pocket lining on
a massive scale! Paid lobbyists sit in committee rooms and write
legislation to alleviate the suffering of billionaires! Hypocrisies shine
like cat turds in the moonlight! O Mark Twain, where art thou at this
hour? Arise and behold the Gilded Age reincarnated gaudier than ever,
upholding great wealth as the sure sign of Divine Grace.

Here in 2004, George W. Bush is running for reelection on a platform of
tragedy-the single greatest failure of national defense in our history,
the attacks of 9/11 in which 19 men with box cutters put this nation into
a tailspin, a failure the details of which the White House fought to keep
secret even as it ran the country into hock up to the hubcaps, thanks to
generous tax cuts for the well-fixed, hoping to lead us into a box canyon
of debt that will render government impotent, even as we engage in a war
against a small country that was undertaken for the president's personal
satisfaction but sold to the American public on the basis of brazen
misinformation, a war whose purpose is to distract us from an enormous
transfer of wealth taking place in this country, flowing upward, and the
deception is working beautifully.

The concentration of wealth and power in the hands of the few is the death
knell of democracy. No republic in the history of humanity has survived
this. The election of 2004 will say something about what happens to ours.
The omens are not good.

Our beloved land has been fogged with fear-fear, the greatest political
strategy ever. An ominous silence, distant sirens, a drumbeat of whispered
warnings and alarms to keep the public uneasy and silence the opposition.
And in a time of vague fear, you can appoint bullet-brained judges, strip
the bark off the Constitution, eviscerate federal regulatory agencies,
bring public education to a standstill, stupefy the press, lavish gorgeous
tax breaks on the rich.

There is a stink drifting through this election year. It isn't the Florida
recount or the Supreme Court decision. No, it's 9/11 that we keep coming
back to. It wasn't the "end of innocence," or a turning point in our
history, or a cosmic occurrence, it was an event, a lapse of security. And
patriotism shouldn't prevent people from asking hard questions of the man
who was purportedly in charge of national security at the time.

Whenever I think of those New Yorkers hurrying along Park Place or getting
off the No.1 Broadway local, hustling toward their office on the 90th
floor, the morning paper under their arms, I think of that non-reader
George W. Bush and how he hopes to exploit those people with a little
economic uptick, maybe the capture of Osama, cruise to victory in November
and proceed to get some serious nation-changing done in his second term.

This year, as in the past, Republicans will portray us Democrats as
embittered academics, desiccated Unitarians, whacked-out hippies and
communards, people who talk to telephone poles, the party of the
Deadheads. They will wave enormous flags and wow over and over the footage
of firemen in the wreckage of the World Trade Center and bodies being
carried out and they will lie about their economic policies with
astonishing enthusiasm.

The Union is what needs defending this year. Government of Enron and by
Halliburton and for the Southern Baptists is not the same as what Lincoln
spoke of. This gang of Pithecanthropus Republicanii has humbugged us to
death on terrorism and tax cuts for the comfy and school prayer and flag
burning and claimed the right to know what books we read and to dump their
sewage upstream from the town and clear-cut the forests and gut the IRS
and mark up the constitution on behalf of intolerance and promote the
corporate takeover of the public airwaves and to hell with anybody who
opposes them.

This is a great country, and it wasn't made so by angry people. We have a
sacred duty to bequeath it to our grandchildren in better shape than
however we found it. We have a long way to go and we're not getting any
younger.

Dante said that the hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who in
time of crisis remain neutral, so I have spoken my piece, and thank you,
dear reader. It's a beautiful world, rain or shine, and there is more to
life than winning.

Posted using RecPoker.com - http://www.recpoker.com
CoconutCarl

B. Lempert
2004-09-01 21:48:05 UTC
What an intelligently reasoned response.

BL
Post by CoconutCarl
What a misinformed asswipe.
CC
jayjerome
2004-09-08 06:09:37 UTC
Post by B. Lempert
What an intelligently reasoned response.
And so detailed in his rebuttal.
Post by B. Lempert
Post by CoconutCarl
What a misinformed asswipe.
CC
OrangeSFO
LizardKing
2004-09-01 21:55:41 UTC
Post by OrangeSFO
Hear! Hear!
Breathtakingly good.
I had the same impression. I would bet that many older Republicans, in a
moment of honesty (not likely in an election year), would agree with
Keillor's assessment.

Posted using RecPoker.com - http://www.recpoker.com
da pickle
2004-09-01 21:19:54 UTC
"LizardKing"

I absolutely love Garrison Keillor. He is the best story teller in the
world right now.

Usually, however, his stories are delightful, light and full of humor. This
is not his usual fiction. It has a hard and surly edge. Pastor Inqvist
would not like it. Mr. Keillor needs to take a trip to Orlando and have a
good gin and tonic.
LizardKing
2004-09-01 21:45:54 UTC
Post by da pickle
"LizardKing"
I absolutely love Garrison Keillor. He is the best story teller in the
world right now.
Usually, however, his stories are delightful, light and full of humor. This
is not his usual fiction. It has a hard and surly edge. Pastor Inqvist
would not like it. Mr. Keillor needs to take a trip to Orlando and have a
good gin and tonic.
Unfortunately, you are right. This is not fiction. As for the gin and
tonic, I think I'll have one in couple of hours when work is done.

Posted using RecPoker.com - http://www.recpoker.com
Matt7084
2004-09-01 23:54:48 UTC
Post by LizardKing
The party of Lincoln and Liberty was transmogrified into the party of
hairy-backed swamp developers and corporate shills, faith-based
economists, fundamentalist bullies with Bibles, Christians of convenience,
freelance racists, misanthropic frat boys, shrieking midgets of AM radio,
tax cheats, nihilists in golf pants, brownshirts in pinstripes, sweatshop
tycoons, hacks, fakirs, aggressive dorks, Lamborghini libertarians, people
who believe Neil Armstrong's moonwalk was filmed in Roswell, New >Mexico...>
This is what this author wants so badly to believe, but unfortunately for
him it is far from the truth. Millions and millions of middle class joe's
in suburbia who just want the government to stay out of their wallet and
not transform into a socialist regime are Republicans.
Post by LizardKing
Republicans: The No.1 reason
the rest of the world thinks we're deaf, dumb and dangerous.
No factual basis for this ridiculously false comment.
Post by LizardKing
Rich ironies abound! Lies pop up like toadstools in the forest! Wild swine
crowd round the public trough! Outrageous gerrymandering! Pocket lining on
a massive scale! Paid lobbyists sit in committee rooms and write
legislation to alleviate the suffering of billionaires! Hypocrisies shine
like cat turds in the moonlight!
I guess only Republican politicians lie, gerrymander, and accept money
from lobbyists now??
Post by LizardKing
even as we engage in a war
against a small country that was undertaken for the president's personal
satisfaction but sold to the American public on the basis of brazen
misinformation, a war whose purpose is to distract us from an enormous
transfer of wealth taking place in this country, flowing upward, and the
deception is working beautifully.
Again, factual basis for a ridiculous comment?? Nope. Liberals love to
believe this one though. Its a conspiracy by Fox News!!! And Tony Blair
was in on it!
Post by LizardKing
The concentration of wealth and power in the hands of the few is the death
knell of democracy. No republic in the history of humanity has survived
this. The election of 2004 will say something about what happens to ours.
The omens are not good.
Exactly how many communist Governments have survived under the opposite?
Post by LizardKing
Our beloved land has been fogged with fear-fear, the greatest political
strategy ever. An ominous silence, distant sirens, a drumbeat of whispered
warnings and alarms to keep the public uneasy and silence the opposition.
After Sept11th and the fact that Al Queda still operates, do you suggest
we be laid back and not worry??
Post by LizardKing
And in a time of vague fear, you can appoint bullet-brained judges, strip
the bark off the Constitution, eviscerate federal regulatory agencies,
liberal rhetoric = ignored
Post by LizardKing
bring public education to a standstill,
Huh?
Post by LizardKing
lavish gorgeous
tax breaks on the rich.
As opposed to tax the rich even more than 48% of their income? How about
the 70% that Michael Moore wishes for! That would be awesome, then I'd
really want to work hard, start a business, go to grad school, invent some
new medicine that helps millions or a new product that raises everyones
standard of living, or, Oh wait no i wouldnt...
Post by LizardKing
There is a stink drifting through this election year. It isn't the Florida
recount or the Supreme Court decision.
Will liberals ever stop crying about this?
Post by LizardKing
No, it's 9/11 that we keep coming
back to. It wasn't the "end of innocence," or a turning point in our
history, or a cosmic occurrence, it was an event, a lapse of security. And
patriotism shouldn't prevent people from asking hard questions of the man
who was purportedly in charge of national security at the time.
Or questions of the man who held office the 8 years prior to 9/11, and
that man's "team" who will be reinstated should Kerry win...
Post by LizardKing
This year, as in the past, Republicans will portray us Democrats as
embittered academics, desiccated Unitarians, whacked-out hippies and
communards, people who talk to telephone poles, the party of the
Deadheads.
Republicans dont need to portray any of that. The wackos getting arrested
for lying down in the street during the convention do that for you.
Republicans obviously disagree with the Democratic Convention platform,
but how many of our republican protesters (oxymoron: we have jobs during
the day) have been arrested??
Post by LizardKing
They will wave enormous flags and wow over and over the footage
of firemen in the wreckage of the World Trade Center and bodies being
carried out and they will lie about their economic policies with
astonishing enthusiasm.
What lying about economic policies? GW has done everything he said he
would do. And the economy is showing signs of turnaround. So...
Post by LizardKing
The Union is what needs defending this year. Government of Enron and by
Halliburton and for the Southern Baptists is not the same as what Lincoln
spoke of.
I, a republican, am none of the above, therefore this is more misleading
liberal rhetoric.
Post by LizardKing
This is a great country, and it wasn't made so by angry people.
War created this country you moron.
Post by LizardKing
We have a
sacred duty to bequeath it to our grandchildren in better shape than
however we found it. We have a long way to go and we're not getting any
younger.
Thanks to Republicans there is no more Soviet Union and no more Communism
spreading throughout the world. That "evil" Reagan generation left me off
much better than my parents had it. Now Bush is going to leave my kids
with no Al Queda, no Saddam, and a democracy that will hopefully spread
throughout the Middle East. It may look unlikely at this point (the
democracy catching on), but then again nothing was more unlikely than
democracy working in barbaric preWWII emporer run Japan, and look at them
now.

-Matt

Posted using RecPoker.com - http://www.recpoker.com
Burak
2004-09-02 03:00:30 UTC
You are sadly blind. A wiser man than myself once said that "people will
get a ruler they deserve."

Well, you and your clouded views deserve Bush.
Post by Matt7084
Post by LizardKing
Republicans: The No.1 reason
the rest of the world thinks we're deaf, dumb and dangerous.
No factual basis for this ridiculously false comment.
I've been to different parts of the world and frequently travel. Have you?
I can testify to the verasity of that statement. The rest of the world
thinks we're all dumb and dangerous, but they especially find the current
Republican party's views and actions to be that way.

The only thing ridiculous about that comment is that you think you have
the knowledge and experience necessary to label it "false."
Post by Matt7084
Post by LizardKing
And in a time of vague fear, you can appoint bullet-brained judges, strip
the bark off the Constitution, eviscerate federal regulatory agencies,
liberal rhetoric = ignored
What part of that is rhetoric? For example, laws have been passed that
limit our basic freedoms haven't they? Why did those ridiculous laws pass?
Because everyone thought it would be a great idea to give up some rights?
Because we had too many rights? Get serious...it's because we were made to
fear what would happen if we didn't pass those laws that would supposedly
help us defend ourselves.
Post by Matt7084
Post by LizardKing
bring public education to a standstill,
Huh?
It's been a practice of rulers since the beginning of time. The less
educated your subjects are, the less likely they are to rise up and object
to your oppressive ways.

The average American is being left in the dark about nearly everything.
The news gets filtered. The news gets supplemented. The people who would
otherwise object to you in outrage are too poorly informed to do so.

Heck, they even get angry when you point out the possibility that they're
being manipulated. You're a perfect example.

The sad thing is that you'll defend what you believe to the bitter end,
but geniunely don't have a clue why. It's all "liberal rhetoric" or
"ridiculously false" to you. Why? Why is it that way? Have you ever
bothered to stop and think why 50% of America looks at what's going on in
the white house and thinks "this needs to be stopped?" Do you think we're
all twisting our mustaches and coming up with evil plans in anticipation
of Kerry's presidency? In what way would liberals benefit from this that
conservatives wouldn't? We want America to prosper too....just without the
fear tactics and blatant lies. I, personally, do not benefit one way or
the other. I will go on with my life the same way as before no matter who
wins this election.

And if you, and the rest of the Bush supporters, can't see that, then you
deserve Bush and all that he'll take away from you.

Posted using RecPoker.com - http://www.recpoker.com
O-PGManager
2004-09-02 04:06:53 UTC
Post by Matt7084
Millions and millions of middle class joe's
in suburbia who just want the government to stay out of their wallet and
not transform into a socialist regime are Republicans.
After liberals fought and died to get them 40 hour work weeks and fair
paying jobs.

Posted using RecPoker.com - http://www.recpoker.com
Matt7084
2004-09-02 04:37:30 UTC
Ok ok, i did read the jungle and ill give the liberals of 100 years ago
credit for that, bravo.

"I've been to different parts of the world and frequently travel"

How about the parts of the world consisting of the half billion people we
liberated from Soviet Russia? Or are you referring to France and Canada
(who are politically indoctrinated from birth to hate America and
capitalism)?

"For example, laws have been passed that
limit our basic freedoms haven't they?"

What freedoms have I lost? None as far as I can tell. Now as for the
freedom of the men who fought gun in hand against American soldiers...

"The less
educated your subjects are, the less likely they are to rise up and object
to your oppressive ways."

You are a truly paranoid wacko if you think that Republicans are trying to
rule America by making the people dumb. The WHOLE IDEA of conservatism is
to shrink this oversized government.

"50% of America looks at what's going on in
the white house and thinks "this needs to be stopped?" "

50% think it needs to keep going. Oh, but thats the stupider half of
America right?. The cities across America where Democrats have their
largest constituencies, yeah thats where the most educated reside.

"We want America to prosper too...."

I cant speak for you, but typical liberals want America to fail miserably
at everything to prove their point (either about Bush, capitalism, etc)

Oh and this is complete bullshit

"The average American is being left in the dark about nearly everything.
The news gets filtered. The news gets supplemented. The people who would
otherwise object to you in outrage are too poorly informed to do so."

Anyone can find anything on the internet or talk radio or magazines or one
of many cable news networks or from any news source, partisan or not and
then make up their own opinion. No longer does Peter Jennings control
what news America gets.

-matt
E.L. Flake
2004-09-02 07:50:28 UTC
"Matt7084" <***@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<41365fed$0$25327> Exactly how many communist Governments have survived under the opposite?
-

I don't know, since there has never been a Communist country,
(certainly not as envisioned by Marx, Engels, Trotsky, et al). Just
because a Fascist Oligarchy calls itself communist, doesn't make it
so. Sweden and Norway probably come closer to Marx's vision than any
other countries, and last I checked they were doing quite well.

"The Human Development Report (HDR) is an annual independent study
commissioned by the United Nations Development Programme and published
into more than a dozen languages. The HDR measures the wealth of
nations by the standard of living of their population and considers
several indexes related to life expectancy, education, economy and
environment.

Economists, philosophers and political leaders have long emphasised
human wellbeing as the sole purpose of economic development. A
successful community is not that which has one wealthy member and nine
living in poverty, but that one where all members of the community
have succeeded in achieving a high standard of living. The HDR
measures whether the national income of a nation is creating an
environment for its people to enjoy a life with good health services,
political freedoms, security against crime, greater access to
education and a satisfying leisure time."

http://www.scandinavica.com/culture/society/UNreport.htm
da pickle
2004-09-02 13:16:47 UTC
"E.L. Flake"

You are the cleverest of the clever, E. L. ... you survive the "communism
does not work" by simply saying there has never been a "real" communist
country. That is a good one, E. L., very clever.
E.L. Flake
2004-09-03 08:52:06 UTC
Post by da pickle
"E.L. Flake"
You are the cleverest of the clever, E. L. ...
-

Crazy like a fox, and clever like a ferret.

Just stating facts about "labeling"; you know, like that 5-legged
donkey and the 6-legged elephant....
da pickle
2004-09-03 11:20:59 UTC
Post by E.L. Flake
Post by da pickle
"E.L. Flake"
You are the cleverest of the clever, E. L. ...
-
Crazy like a fox, and clever like a ferret.
Just stating facts about "labeling"; you know, like that 5-legged
donkey and the 6-legged elephant....
At least you know that if you wish to be thought of as a Sufi master, you
must never imply it with your own words explicitly. Others must conclude it
from your actions and your parables. Nasruddin would be proud.
Jock Strapp
2004-09-02 03:01:14 UTC
'bout as much as I care for Dems

Jock