What is your favourite poker playing song?
DomoErigato
2004-05-23 06:54:58 UTC
Mine is "Superstitious" by Stevie Wonder.

What is your favourite song to have playing while in a big poker hand?

Domo

Posted using RecPoker.com - http://www.recpoker.com
Dave013
2004-05-23 06:50:54 UTC
Any porno music is cool with me
wopwopwopwopwwwwoooooooooooooopwoooooooooooooooop
Irish Mike
2004-05-23 13:02:22 UTC
Bastards on Parade by Dropkick Murphys
Colleen Malone by Irish Descendants
King of Oblivion by Seven Nations
anything by Chieftains

Irish Mike
Pence234
2004-05-23 19:03:39 UTC
Post by Irish Mike
King of Oblivion by Seven Nations
anything by Chieftains
Irish Mike
Oddly enough, me too--just not sad ones!

Also love Kenny Loggins "Danger Zone."

PB
Uncle Freddie
2004-05-23 13:42:03 UTC
Sober
Johnny Lang - Rack 'Em Up (a Pool Hall song)

Drunk
Nickelback - Someday
Bill Reich
2004-05-23 11:17:00 UTC
Post by DomoErigato
Mine is "Superstitious" by Stevie Wonder.
What is your favourite song to have playing while in a big poker hand?
Domo
Posted using RecPoker.com - http://www.recpoker.com
"Night Life," off _the Delta Meets Detroit_ by Aretha Franklin, Willie Nelson
wrote it. His version is good too.

"Lost on the River" by Hank Williams has a certain resonance with poker.

"Keep on Truckin'" by the Grateful Dead. In fact, the whole American Beauty
album.
Will in New Haven
--
"If I listened long enough to you,
I'd find a way to believe it all was true,

Edward Bird
2004-05-23 12:05:34 UTC
Kenny Rogers - The Gambler

On a warm summer's evenin' on a train bound for nowhere,
I met up with the gambler; we were both too tired to sleep.
So we took turns a starin' out the window at the darkness
'Til boredom overtook us, and he began to speak.

He said, "Son, I've made a life out of readin' people's faces,
And knowin' what their cards were by the way they held their eyes.
And if you don't mind my sayin', I can see you're out of aces.
For a taste of your whiskey I'll give you some advice."

So I handed him my bottle and he drank down my last swallow.
Then he bummed a cigarette and asked me for a light.
And the night got deathly quiet, and his face lost all expression.
Said, "If you're gonna play the game, boy, ya gotta learn to play it right.

You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em,
Know when to walk away and know when to run.
You never count your money when you're sittin' at the table.
There'll be time enough for countin' when the dealin's done.

Ev'ry gambler knows that the secret to survivin'
Is knowin' what to throw away and knowing what to keep.
'Cause ev'ry hand's a winner and ev'ry hand's a loser,
And the best that you can hope for is to die in your sleep."

And when he'd finished speakin', he turned back towards the window,
Crushed out his cigarette and faded off to sleep.
And somewhere in the darkness the gambler, he broke even.
But in his final words I found an ace that I could keep.

Bill Reich
2004-05-23 12:25:12 UTC
Post by Edward Bird
Kenny Rogers - The Gambler
Oh, yeah, dying alone on a train, cadging a drink from a stranger. Some image
for poker. Not innacurate, mind you, but unpleasant.
Will in New Haven

fishnchips
2004-05-23 14:22:57 UTC
"Johnny's Back" by Riot.

What's the use of moving on, Maybe here's where i belong
I've had my fill of life's uncertainties, You think too much they say your
strange
They even raised the drinking age, This place has gone to hell since i
been away
But now this time i'll do it right, Yeah let's start tonight
Make the call and see who's still around
Don't look now but Johnny's back again, I am your man
I paid the price i'll take that slide again, Nothing stays the same
Tell the boys to step aside, Tell the girls to form a line
The king is back to claim the land again
Wanna light ? Let's get it on, Need to love i am the one
Time to remember how we played the game
But now this time i'll do it right, Yeah let's start tonight
Make the call and see who's still around
Don't look now but Johnny's back again, I am your man
I paid the price i'll take that slide again, Nothing stays the same
Tell the boys to jump inside tonight we're gonna ride, It's time to
show'em how its really done
You never play - you never win, You don't even know what's happening Until
the end and then your race has run
This time we'll do it right, Yeah let's start tonight
Make the call and see who's still around, But now this time i'll do it
joker4u
2004-05-23 20:18:36 UTC
Post by fishnchips
"Johnny's Back" by Riot.
Grateful Dead
Ramble on Rose

NewGCA
2004-05-23 15:17:44 UTC
I am a WORLD CLASS CHEATER and a WORLD CLASS SCAMMER. I'm also a WORLD
CLASS cowbell player. When I was 7 my parents took me to Radio City Music
Hall to see Captain Kangaroo. You see, we had a black and white TV back
then, and I was certain that Mr. Greenjeans was a scam; the word on the
playground was that his jeans were actually purple.

Anyhoo, I had this Fisher-Price cowbell with me and while we were lined up
outside I was banging away and, well, long story short I was accepted into
Juliard on the spot. Cowbell was my life until age 11, when I played my
first gig at the Mayfair club. Goodbye cowbell, hello whiteflash.

The correct music to listen to while playing poker is the blues. The
blues ain't nuthin' but a good man singing about bad times. Whoever said
"Economics is the dismal science" never played a hand of Omaha, I can
assure you.

Some of my favourites are Koko Taylor, Buddy Guy, and David Wilcox. When
I'm heads up at the end of a tournament, I like to cue up a little ditty
called "Riverboat Fantasy":

"Sittin' on a riverboat
Havin' a party
Me and my Cajun Queen
She's turnin' twenty-one on the Mississippi river
Headin' down to New Orleans
The year is 1894
Oh come on mama
And love me some more
Her dark eyes flash
Like a gambler's rings
She shakes her pretty head and sings"

Kazaa these artists. You'll thank me for it.

Russ Seacrest out!
Hollywood, CA
hal
2004-05-23 16:13:39 UTC
Calahan MacCool
2004-05-23 18:13:06 UTC
Post by DomoErigato
Mine is "Superstitious" by Stevie Wonder.
What is your favourite song to have playing while in a big poker hand?
i. The Turn of a Friendly Card (Part 1)
(Lead vocal - Chris Rainbow)

There are unsmiling faces and bright plastic chains
And a wheel in perpetual motion
And they follow the races and pay out the gains
With no show of outward emotion

And they think it will make their lives easier
For God knows up till now it's been hard
But the game never ends when your whole world depends
On the turn of a friendly card
No the game never ends when your whole world depends
On the turn of a friendly card
lvdlrs
2004-05-24 01:41:54 UTC
Post by Calahan MacCool
i. The Turn of a Friendly Card (Part 1)
(Lead vocal - Chris Rainbow)
Alan Parsons Project, excellent song, excellent band.

Gary (...) Philips
Linda K Sherman
2004-05-24 03:20:59 UTC
Post by DomoErigato
Mine is "Superstitious" by Stevie Wonder.
"The Bug", Dire Straits

The pun in the band's name is a bonus.
--
Linda K. Sherman
linsherman [atsign] tampabay [stop] rr [stop] com
John Kerry for President.
Mother1022
2004-05-24 12:50:20 UTC
Great question. I think if you're playing live with a group of people,
wanting to set a mood for the event, the blues is not a bad way to go.
But I play online a great deal, and in that situation, the purpose of
music is not mood, or making it a good poker environment for everyone,
but specifically to benefit me, to crank ME up, to do things that
cause my own brain to operate at a higher tempo.
For me and my brain, that music right now is the Who. I throw on
Tommy.

"We're NOT GONNA TAKE IT!"

If I have a weakness, it is a slight tendency towards
overcaution, and Keith Moon will beat that out of you in a hurry.
Drum-heavy uptempo classic rock. It riles me up, helps me play my best
game, keeps me from lapsing into a funk when wicked statistical
injustices go down. Get your KK crackked for the third time, and would
you rather A: start complaining to your tormentors, inspiring them to
repeat their performances, or B: put on Pinball Wizard and remind
yourself that you can play poker by sense of smell?

jonny
Irish Mike

Chris
2004-05-24 20:36:58 UTC
Post by DomoErigato
Mine is "Superstitious" by Stevie Wonder.
What is your favourite song to have playing while in a big poker hand?
Domo
Posted using RecPoker.com - http://www.recpoker.com
Without a doubt - "The Ace Of Spades" by Motorhead

You know I'm born to lose, and gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby,
I don't wanna live for ever,
And don't forget the joker!

Pushing up the ante, I know you wanna see me,
Read 'em and weep, the dead man's hand again,
I see it in your eyes, take one look and die,
The only thing you see, you know it's gonna be,
The Ace Of Spades

A close second is "Me and My Uncle" by the Grateful Dead

My uncle starts winnin'; cowboys got sore.
One of them called him, and then two more,
Accused him of cheatin'; oh no, it couldn't be.
I know my uncle, he's as honest as me,
And I'm as honest as a gamblin' man can be.

One of them cowboys, he starts to draw,
And I shot him down, lord he never saw.
Well I grabbed a bottle, cracked him in the jaw,
Shot me another, oh damn he won't grow old.
In the confusion, my uncle grabbed the gold,
And we high-tailed it down to mexico.

I love those cowboys, I love their gold,
I loved my uncle, God rest his soul,
Taught me good, lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, I grabbed that gold
And I left his dead ass there by the side of the road.

Apologies to the traditionalists. I like Kenny and all, but Lemmy is
God so metal wins.

-CJ
Roland2k
2004-05-24 21:00:23 UTC
Post by DomoErigato
Mine is "Superstitious" by Stevie Wonder.
What is your favourite song to have playing while in a big poker hand?
Domo
"Preachin Blues" by Son House

Many more, but that's the favorite.
PotatoPeeler
2004-05-25 01:14:32 UTC
"That Was a Crazy Game of Poker" by O.A.R. (Of a Revolution)

My twenty thrown down in my fist of rage
And the man to my left just folded down
Johnny doubled up with a Royal Flush
I had three jacks and a pair of nines
My mind is turning just two shots more
There's not much left to play
Then dude walks in Black hat on top, what a mop
I'm lucky it wasn't a county cop, cause I'm just running out of
time

Who's up for game two, what to do?
My wallets getting thin and I just lost my watch last night
I got a problem, just one answer got to throw it all down
And kiss it goodbye

That was a crazy game of poker
I lost it all
But someday I'll be back again
And I'm never to fall
Never to fall

Who's up for game three?
I can barely see the bourbon drowning next to me
And I just lost it all
Well there's a man sitting next to me
Red with smiling eyes
It's funny I don't have no money tonight.

That was a crazy game of poker
I lost it all
But someday I'll be back again
And I'm never to fall
Never to fall
--
PotatoPeeler
Access RGP from Pokeritis.com, create a poker journal, and more.
http://www.pokeritis.com/forums
View this thread @ Pokeritis.com forums: http://www.pokeritis.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=51701
Indiana Joe
2004-05-30 15:15:36 UTC
Post by DomoErigato
What is your favourite song to have playing while in a big poker hand?
Not quite my favorite, but I crushed my friend's NLHE tournament last
night. I turned on the car radio as I was leaving, to the tune of, "Take
It To the Limit" by the Eagles.

"Take it, to the limit, one more time..."
--
Joe Claffey | "Make no small plans."
***@cox.net | -- Daniel Burnham
tino
2004-05-30 20:17:31 UTC
The Who's:

You better you better you bet.

I call you on the telephone my
voice too rough with cigarettes.

I sometimes feel I should just go home
but I'm dealing with a memory that never forgets

I love to hear you say my name
especially when you say yes

I got your body right now on my mind
but I drunk myself blind to the sound of old T-Rex

To the sound of old T-Rex and Who's Next

Chorus:

When I say I love you you say you better
You better you better you bet

When I say I need you you say you better
You better you better you bet

You better bet your life

Or love will cut you like a knife
I want those feeble minded axes overthrown

I'm not into your passport picture I just like your nose

You welcome me with open arms and open legs

I know only fools have needs but this one never begs

I don't really mind how much you love me

Ooh, a little is alright

When you say
come over and spend the night

Tonight

Tonight

Chorus: (as above)

I lay on the bed with you
We could make some book of records
Your dog keeps licking my nose
And chewing up all those letters
Saying "you better"

You better bet your life
You better love me, all the time now
You better shove me back into line now
You better love me, all the time now
You better shove me back into line now.

I showed up late one night
with a neon light for a visa
But knowing I'm so eager to fight
can't make letting me in any easier
I know I been wearing crazy clothes
and I look pretty crappy sometime
But my body feels so good
and I still sing a razor line everytime.
And when it comes to all night living
I know what I'm giving
I've got it all down to a tee
And it's free.

Chorus: (as above)

tino

=A0=A0=A0=A0~~~ Big, butt Intimate, Community ~~~