Poker Future Advice Wanted
Mark
2003-09-22 06:51:06 UTC
I am 18, have been playing for about 4 years and just recently
graduated high school. College isn't for me I have lived the summer
up until now solely on my poker income, and have amassed about 2000 in
savings as well, but the regular games have now broken up as college
is back in session. My only regular game is every other saturday and
I can't depened on it to recieve enough income. Should I find a
regular job, or should I put some of my savings onto PartyPoker and
see how I do. I think the single table sit-and-go's would be my best
option to gain more money, and then eventually hit up the ring games
maybe 3-6 and as my bankroll increases or decreases, I increase or
decrease my limits. What do you all think I should do, I'm pretty
smart and have a good sense about business and stuff, should I waste
four years of my life on a piece of paper, should I get a job and play
poker on the side, or should I follow my dreams of playing
professionally? If I do get on Party, does my plan sound good as far
as bankroll management? Any information is wanted, especially from
pro's.
arlo payne
2003-09-22 07:42:52 UTC
You are kidding RIGHT!

School is the only way to go.

You may at least want to try a two year trade school.
Posted using RecPoker.com - http://www.recpoker.com
Ken Lovering
2003-09-22 07:03:31 UTC
The husband of a friend of mine finished college three years ago. Local no
name college. Computer programming. Started, I mean walked in the door of
the first business he ever was employed by as a programmer for $45K. Goes to
Vegas and Mississippi once a year. Plays a little on line and visits
Atlantic City a dozen times a year.
I like his choice. But to each his own.

Best regards,
Ken
pro's.
O-PGManager
2003-09-22 12:58:26 UTC
College is the absolute shit. Why don't you want to spend 4 years doing a
couple hours of schoolwork but having little responsibility and partying
as much as you want? What about the beautiful college babies doesn't
appeal to you? You'd rather be spending 10 hours a day in some smoke
filled cardroom full of sweaty overweight guys?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it is CLOSE TO IMPOSSIBLE to begin a
professional career with a 2k bankroll.

Also, Party SitNGoes suck in my opinion, the blinds go up super fast and
you only start with 800 chips, it's all luck. Party Stars SitnGoes are
where it's at. Good luck and get your ass in a school with a good
academics and a good social scene.

O-PG

Start winning hundreds at Texas Holdem with Power Holdem+
http://www.online-pokerguide.com
Edward Hutchison
2003-09-22 14:57:05 UTC
I have three degrees, but, curiously, I have never needed any of them to get
into a poker room. I suspect that you, too, will be very welcome at the
nearest card room--provided only that you are 21and have enough for a buy in.

But the real question is, "Do you want to spend your time in this way?" And,
more importantly, are you sure that a few years from now you will still be
excited about this sedentary, fairly dull, and unhealthy life style.

Have you considered, for example, the rate of alcoholism, drug use, heart
disease, and divorces among full time poker players? Do most of them really
look like they are prosperous and enjoying life?

Having a degree doesn't provide immunity from any of these problems, but it
does improve the odds that your work will be meaningful and well rewarded in
both a material and psychic sense. I am of the old school and believe that
there are many non-pecuniary benefits of being educated, but ignoring any such
benefits, one can still make a strong case for the material rewards acruing to
those who finish college.

I certainly believe it is possible to become educated on your own in a
non-academic setting, so I can't argue the logic in society's demand that a
degree be a prerequisite for most good jobs. But facts are facts, and a part
of growing up and maturing is the realization that we must deal with the world
on its terms. The world is not likely to change to accomodate you and me.
Therefore, for the forseeable future, it will be true that a degree opens doors
and provides options.

Would you sit down to play HEM if you were only going to get one hole card?
Would you begin a race from well behind the starting line? Well, you do, if
you fail to get a degree.

Think about it, and good luck.

Edward Hutchison
Madison, MS

Point systems for evaluating poker starting hands:
http://PokerProfessor.homestead.com/links.html
Siam
2003-09-23 21:33:44 UTC
Subject: Re: Poker Future Advice Wanted
Date: 9/22/2003 7:57 AM Pacific Standard Time
I have three degrees, but, curiously, I have never needed any of them to get
into a poker room. I suspect that you, too, will be very welcome at the
nearest card room--provided only that you are 21and have enough for a buy in.
But the real question is, "Do you want to spend your time in this way?" And,
more importantly, are you sure that a few years from now you will still be
excited about this sedentary, fairly dull, and unhealthy life style.
Have you considered, for example, the rate of alcoholism, drug use, heart
disease, and divorces among full time poker players? Do most of them really
look like they are prosperous and enjoying life?
Ed,

Do you think that even if they didn't play poker, these people would still be
alcoholics, drug addicts, and have heart disease?

These people are self-selected whether they play poker or not. I would posit
that you don't have the framework of friends that push you towards greatness in
life.

I personally think college is a no-brainer (and grad school if you can swing
it). You will never be around people of your age-group and have that much fun
again.

Cheers
Edward Hutchison
2003-09-23 22:53:23 UTC
Post by Siam
Do you think that even if they didn't play poker, these people would still be
alcoholics, drug addicts, and have heart disease?<

I think the short answer is that some would, but probably not as many.

The long answer is:

If we observe a lot of umbrellas on mornings when it rains in the afternoon,
can we conclude that umbrellas cause rain. Actually, the umbrellas--and the
rain--are both more likely to occur when the weather forecast predicts rain.

One does not cause the other. They both are responding to a third factor and
the apparent correlation between umbrellas and rain turns out to be illusory.

In the same way, a risk-taking personality, previous disabilities, and a lot of
other factors may contribute to a higher rate of social dysfunction among poker
players, thus creating only an illusory correlation.

For a long time the tobacco companies tried to explain that the much higher
rate of lung cancer observed among smokers did not mean that smoking caused
cancer. (Maybe, having cancer made you want to smoke?) Technically, they were
right and it wasn't until other studies showed a causal relationship between
smoking and cancer that we became able to "prove" what seemed obvious--that
smoking is deadly.

I think, but surely can not prove, that the relationship between playing poker
professionally and divorce, sickness, and other social problems is more than
just illusory. But what do I know?

Jason
2003-09-22 15:35:43 UTC
Interesting that so many people are pushing you to do college when you say
it's not for you. You'll find out over the years that everybody has an
opinion on how you should live your life.

The real question is why do you think college is not for you? Seriously, if
it is not for you than why? I hated highschool so I dropped out and went
straight to college. I really enjoyed UT Austin, but I'm fairly smart and
enjoy studying. College is for more than just getitng a job - it's nice to
have a broad education. But, many people I know who went to college are not
employed now in a field even remotely resembling what they studied.
Typically only the science (like engineering) and business (like accounting)
people get jobs in their major. Plenty do not. Especially with a bad
economy.

College is also expensive. If you don't really want to go and/or don't have
a career direction in mind that requires college ... why waste the time and
money now? College will typically cost you $50-100K plus 4 years of your
life. You can always attend later.

My sugegstion: go out on your own and see how you like supporting yourself
on poker and a part time job. You're young, now is the time to spread your
wings and experiment. You might have to get a side job waiting tables or
whatever to make ends meet at first, but no terrible loss there. You can
always move ahead in your side job, and become a restaurant or hotel
manager.

Just get out there and live, that's my advice. No one can tell you what you
want to do.

Poker as a living? I'm seriously considering it, but I know I can beat
online poker because I am doing it in the evenings already. Can you? I am
a manager in a telecom company and have a good career, but want to play
poker. Everybody says not to but I may anyway. I'll probably get a real
estate license just to have a "legit" job title and keep that family happy
but spend the majority of time playing poker since I enjoy it. So I suggest
moving up the poker food chain to see how good you really are, but to be
cultivating a fallback plan as you go. You might investigate trade schools
(welding, auto technician, HVAC, medical assistant, dental assisrant, etc).
JD
2003-09-23 15:41:13 UTC
Post by Jason
Interesting that so many people are pushing you to do college when you say
it's not for you. You'll find out over the years that everybody has an
opinion on how you should live your life.
You did notice that he ASKED how he should live his life, right? He
even asked if he should go to college or not.
Ray Dinterman
2003-09-22 16:27:15 UTC
Post by Mark
I am 18, have been playing for about 4 years and just recently
graduated high school. College isn't for me I have lived the summer
up until now solely on my poker income, and have amassed about 2000 in
savings as well, but the regular games have now broken up as college
is back in session. My only regular game is every other saturday and
I can't depened on it to recieve enough income. Should I find a
regular job, or should I put some of my savings onto PartyPoker and
see how I do.
Friend, coming to this group and asking for advice on your personal
life is like sticking your head in the toilet looking for a gourmet
dinner.
Code Monkee
pro's.
Edward Hutchison
2003-09-22 23:34:31 UTC
When I was a kid I knew a lot of people who said they were sorry they smoked.
I never met anyone who told me they were sorry they didn't smoke. Having made
this simple observation, and never caring a lot about what my little chums were
up to, I never smoked.

Growing up, I, also, knew a lot of people who said they were sorry they didn't
go to college. Since I never heard anyone express sorrow for having gone to
school, it was easy for me to decide I should try to join the ranks of college
grads.

Life presents us with many difficult and complex decisions but some questions
are
simple.

Vince lepore
2003-09-23 00:55:54 UTC
Post by Mark
[...]
Think of this one thing, sitting a a table for hours and hours at a
time. Day after day. Staring at the same cards and same people, some
with different faces. Over and over again for the rest of your life.
And if you still want to be a professional poker player... well
then.....

Vince
wamplerr
2003-09-23 03:00:19 UTC
He didn't mention whether his parents were paying for college or not.
That would be a crucial part of making the decision.

** Win a seat to the 2004 WSOP at http://www.FabulousPoker.com
neal
2003-09-23 04:08:02 UTC
Well, as to college, as expensive as it is, if at the moment you have no
idea what you would want to study, I would say there is no harm to not
attending college at least for the present.
I did 6 years in the USMC right out of high school. I am 41 now, in the
years since I have picked up nearly 2 college degrees by taking courses
that interested me as they were offered at various area schools. I am also
aconstant reader and enjoy learning about nearly anything. I was just not
interested in being told what to study by a school that wants me to take
filler/fluff courses to fatten their bottom line. I do not feel I have
suffered financially, and have usually made employment decisions based on
if I thought the job was interesting.

However as the one poster pointed out, health insurance alone is a
significant benefit. I too would have been financially demolished this
year without health insurance. This was just for a shoulder repair, over
100 grand. No cancer or heart problem or anything serious.

Continue with poker if you desire to do so, but it would be good to have a
fallback position. Consider a job in the gaming/resort industry, AC,
Vegas, etc. This also would let you see if you want to spend your life in
this environment. That, or try to pick up some other fun/interesting job
that you find with health benefits. This would allow you to continue to
develop your game without worrying where your next meal is coming from.
Your poker decisions will be far more profitable if winning the next pot
does not determine if you eat a meal that day or sleep in your car that
night.

Remember, you can quit any job you do not like, but this way you can keep
building your bankroll to a point where you can use a portion of your
winnings for living expenses without affecting your ability to play at the
stakes you desire. Remember, your bankroll is your toolbox in poker. Until
you build up some pretty fat stacks, the only thing you want to use your
poker bankroll for is poker.

At 18, if you take care of yourself, you have a minimum of 50 years of
poker or anything else ahead of you if that is your desire. An extra year
or two of prep work will really pay off. You already seem plenty smart,
you will be fine.
Best of luck, neal

Posted using RecPoker.com - http://www.recpoker.com
jarrett40
2003-09-24 02:58:17 UTC
I think you've already made up your mind.I know I couldn't be told
anything when I was 18.
For what it's worth, I can name at least 3 former world champions
that answered this question in interviews with one word...don't. Puggy
Pearson, Bill Smith, and Amarillo Slim[he used more than one word].I
knew a successful gambler once that lamented his life a few years
before he died. He said " If I had spent as much time learning
something useful instead of all the time I spent learning to do this
shit, I could have made something of myself".
As the years go by most professionals have to live with the nagging
thought that they are not really doing anything useful.
Get a job.Play as a hobby. You'll be a lot happier.

jarrett40
pro's.
Mark
2003-09-24 05:41:41 UTC
I would just like to thank you all for the great follow-up posts, and
i'll take all of your information and suggestions into account. To
answer a few of your questions to me, no, my father is dead, and my
mother doesn't make enough to pay for college for me. I should've
probably thought more about the future of my life well I was still in
High School, but just like anyone else probably does, I realize
something I've done wrong in life at least once a day. As far as
attending college, which after reading your posts and talking to
several people who have attended college, my opinion has changed
somewhat, and to succeed I must follow societies rules like (which
someone earlier eluded to), and it seems as though to succeed (which I
despartly try to do), I must do the inevitable in attending classes.
So sometime with-in the next few weeks I will go to my Alma Mater and
talk with the guidance councler about getting the ball rolling. In
the meantime, I'm gonna try to find the closest game I can and enjoy
the lazy life. I still have no real rock solid career to choose, as
far I know I'm going into the business field in some way or another.
I think of ways to improve things all the time is there any field that
would involve this "talent", cause as of now I think of these thoughts
and then just forget them by the next morning, sometimes telling
friends, who say they're all good ideas but don't know how i would
make money by thinking this way. Anyways enough for tonight I have to
get up early tommorrow. Good Luck to you all, and thanks again. If
anyone has any questions, I will reply late tommorrow. Thanks Again

Mark Biem