Outbreak of "Foot-in-Mouth" Disease at the Poker Table
l***@HiWAAY.net
2005-07-21 15:22:33 UTC
I guess some version of this happens to all poker players sooner or
later, (i.e. the unguarded comment), so I'll relate my little adventure
from last night ...

At some point we all encounter that one opponent (a certain player) who
just seems to have your number. Somehow or other, you always find a
way to lose to this one person. In my case, that player is a lady
named "Lee" - whom I have nicknamed "Lethal Lee" - in honor of her
uncanny ability to kill me at the poker table. So far, Lethal Lee and
I have tangled all-in about three or four times with the usual result:
"Hot Shot Alan" goes home early. Last night was no different, but this
time there was a twist: I had a spontaneous attack of "foot-in-mouth"
disease.

I was dealt an Ace-Ten off suit. Two or three people (including Lethal
Lee) limped in. The flop was an Ace with a pair of 9's on the board,
so I'm immediately thinking: "Hmm, I've got top pair [Aces] along with
a pair of 9's, so I've flopped two pair! I've probably got the nuts
with a damn good chance of improving to a full house - Aces full of 9's
or 9's full of Aces - depending on what cards fall on the turn and the
river." Lethal Lee acts before me and she comes out betting - 300
chips. (A respectable bet.)

Lethal Lee didn't bet (or raise) before the flop, so I don't put her on
a "monster hand" - like a big pocket pair, A-K, or something like that.
I "thought" Lethal Lee must also have an Ace and some other card - like
maybe Ace-7 or something like that - so I called her bet. Everybody
else mucks so it's just me and Lethal Lee off to the turn. At this
point maybe my guardian angel should have tapped me on the shoulder and
reminded me of what has happened every time Lethal Lee and I have
gotten heads-up in a pot. The only problem is that I wasn't listening
to my guardian angel ...

The turn was a Jack and Lethal Lee bets again - another 300 chips.
Without thinking, I called. (Now close to half of my chips are in the
pot.) At this point, any poker player with a molecule of intelligence
should have been thinking something like "Hmm, Lethal Lee has bet twice
without any hesitation. I wonder what she might have?" My problem was
that I had "fallen in love" with my pair of Aces. I had deluded myself
into thinking that my two pair was the best hand ...

The river was another Jack, so there are now two pair (Jacks and 9's)
on the board. Without hesitation, Lethal Lee says "I'm all in!"

In the 1960's (when I was a young kid) there was a popular television
show called "Lost in Space" which featured a young boy named "Will
Robinson" and Will's "protector and friend" - a talking robot which
would always say "Danger Will Robinson!" whenever Will was about to get
himself in trouble. Unfortunately, my talking robot was broken down -
or in desperate need of WD-40 - because nobody said, "Danger Alan
Lawhon!" Like a fool, I walked right into Lethal Lee's full house -
9's full of Jacks! It just never occurred to me that she had a pocket
nine! (Duh!!) Once again it's off to the showers for me ...

There were two other ladies at our table - in addition to Lethal Lee.
As I was getting up from my chair, (more or less in shock), I
thoughtlessly muttered the following line: "You know what my foster
father used to tell me all the time? Women should just stay at home!"
The men at the table didn't say a word, but two of the ladies jaws
dropped. (I'm probably lucky that I didn't get slapped!) Lethal Lee
didn't respond to my blatant, sexist, over-the-top comment. She was
too busy raking in my chips ...

I'm beginning to think that being a sexist male-chauvinist-pig might
not be a beneficial trait at the poker table ...

Alan C. Lawhon
Huntsville, Alabama
stan
* New Release: RecPoker.com v2.2 - http://www.recpoker.com
kalony
2005-07-21 17:25:23 UTC
The way he played the hand?  I think so.
Post by stan
This is a joke, right?
Post by l***@HiWAAY.net
[...]
-
pitch 'em the funny one Robert!

New Feature: Mark All As Read! - http://www.recpoker.com
A Player

TNevada
XaQ Morphy
2005-07-21 17:52:01 UTC
Post by l***@HiWAAY.net
named "Lee" - whom I have nicknamed "Lethal Lee" - in honor of her
Alan C. Lawhon
Actually the nickname you should have assigned with the play of that hand
should be "Lethal Alan."

Morphy
http://donkeymanifesto.blogspot.com

-------
l***@HiWAAY.net
2005-07-21 20:30:10 UTC
LOL ...

Yes, I'm very much aware that I (terribly) misplayed the hand;
especially the "all-in" call on the river. (Actually, I should have
put on the brakes as soon as I saw that pair of 9's on the flop.) I
wish I could say that I was inebriated and blame my bad play on the
alcohol, but I was stone cold sober. The truth is that I just plain
blew it ... Of course, "my friend" Lethal Lee played the hand
perfectly, so I intend to give her a copy of my post (so she can have a
good laugh too ...)

My post was intended as humor (for a good laugh), especially the part
where I put my foot in my mouth. In the last sentence [of the last
paragraph] I admit to being a male chauvinist pig. I was hoping
everybody would pick up on the joke right there. I was also hoping one
of the ladies on this list (like maybe Miss Tanya T-74) would see the
humor and [gently] needle me a little bit.

I saw something similar to this on television a few years ago. Barbara
Enright was being interviewed and she was asked if she had ever
encountered open hostility (or derision) from a male player? She did
recall an experience where she was playing in a tournament and it got
down to heads-up between her and some Texas businessman who was wearing
a 10-gallon hat and smoking a cigar. She had never played against this
man before (and didn't know him) so she gave him the benefit of the
doubt and offerred him a deal. He [apparently] didn't know who SHE was
because he gave her one look, snorted, and said he was playing for
first place. She busted him out on the second hand.

Alan C. Lawhon
huntsville, Alabama
Tanya AKA misst74
2005-07-21 21:46:02 UTC
Post by l***@HiWAAY.net
[...]
I found it funny, and I would have looked right up at you and said, "Players
only at the table, honey. Buh bye" while I was stacking up your chips.

: )

Watch Lists, Block Lists, Favorites - http://www.recpoker.com
Ruchie
2005-07-21 16:01:06 UTC
if you actually "fell in love with" your top pair/weak kicker on a paired
board with someone
betting into you & then committed all your chips when they obviously just
filled up,
I imagine you're welcome to deposit money at her (or anyone else's table)
no matter what you say.
DP75089
Rob-L
2005-07-21 20:55:02 UTC
Pretty funny comment at the end. It made me laugh.

You admit you played the hand badly, but don't beat yourself up too much.
I think many of us have fallen into the trap of trying to get "revenge" on
our nemesis to the point of playing a hand that we know is weak, but
maybe, JUST MAYBE could win the pot and REALLY stick it to them.

This only worked for me once, which happened to be last night. I called an
early position raise from my nemesis. I was in middle position with the
powerhouse hand of 7-5o and called the raise. I made a straight on the
river. Stupid. Normally doing this crap is just a form of tilt and is no
good.

Dammit, it did feel good though! Too bad your results weren't as good.

Rob-L
in L.V.
looking for a better newsgroup-reader? - www.recgroups.com
Andy Sullivan
2005-07-21 21:42:06 UTC
Post by l***@HiWAAY.net
I was dealt an Ace-Ten off suit. Two or three people (including Lethal
Lee) limped in. The flop was an Ace with a pair of 9's on the board,
so I'm immediately thinking: "Hmm, I've got top pair [Aces] along with
a pair of 9's, so I've flopped two pair! I've probably got the nuts
How on earth did you jump to that conclusion? When a pair
comes up on the flop at a full or nearly full table, there's a very
good chance someone has three of a kind. Two pair doesn't
begin to qualify as the nuts.
DP75089
2005-07-21 22:06:44 UTC
Post by l***@HiWAAY.net
I was dealt an Ace-Ten off suit. Two or three people (including Lethal
Lee) limped in. The flop was an Ace with a pair of 9's on the board,
so I'm immediately thinking: "Hmm, I've got top pair [Aces] along with
a pair of 9's, so I've flopped two pair! I've probably got the nuts
Actually, there's a very good chance that you're an underdog to 999.
Post by l***@HiWAAY.net
with a damn good chance of improving to a full house - Aces full of 9's
or 9's full of Aces
If you need to improve to a full house, it's because someone else already
has 999, so a 9 on the turn or river kills you, leaving only the
possibility of an A...and there are only two of those left, giving you
about a 6% (someone check me on that) shot at a winning boat.

------
* kill-files, watch-lists, favorites, and more.. www.recgroups.com