Check-raising, bad poker etiquette or not
PokerDeck.Co.Uk
2006-03-24 23:12:35 UTC
Check-raising (sometimes called sandbagging), basicly checking on a
good hand to lur your opponents to bet.

I discussed this recently and got mixed views, some said 'not at my
games!' others said 'Fair Play'.

I personally think its OK, no worse than any other bluff?

-------------------------------
UK Poker Forum
http://www.pokerdeck.co.uk/

Friendly Place to Talk Poker - All Welcome
Dr. Tobias Funke
2006-03-24 23:19:09 UTC
Poker is a game of deception. Any serious game will allow
check-raising.
IvanXDurham
tling
New Feature: Mark All As Read! - http://www.recpoker.com
Irish Mike

PokerDeck.Co.Uk
2006-03-25 01:35:48 UTC
I do totally agree, i must confess that I played for a long time
without really knowing that check raising was seen as bad etiquette
(by some!)

I also seemed to be lectured on bad etiquette by those that had
recently lost.

BTW, a forward pass here in the UK is a very common and used play,
unless your playing rugby, then its a foul.

Big Matt
2006-03-25 02:18:47 UTC
Post by Irish Mike
Jesus wept! A poker game without check raising is like a football game
without the forward pass.
Irish Mike
Yeah, and Jesus can't play rugby. :P

A lot of strategy gets taken out of the game if you can't checkraise.
It's much safer to bet into someone who checks if you know they can't
raise you back.

--Matt
bonkey
2006-03-25 01:16:57 UTC
Post by PokerDeck.Co.Uk
Check-raising (sometimes called sandbagging), basicly checking on a
good hand to lur your opponents to bet.
I discussed this recently and got mixed views, some said 'not at my
games!' others said 'Fair Play'.
I personally think its OK, no worse than any other bluff?
-------------------------------
UK Poker Forum
http://www.pokerdeck.co.uk/
Friendly Place to Talk Poker - All Welcome
No it is not bad etiquette. Blowing smoke in someones face is bad
etiquette. Slow rolling is bad etiquette.

--
Bonkey

"There is an old proverb that says just about whatever you want it to."

--------
looking for a better newsgroup-reader? - www.recgroups.com
Bryan K
2006-03-25 02:36:15 UTC
Post by PokerDeck.Co.Uk
Check-raising (sometimes called sandbagging), basicly checking on a
good hand to lur your opponents to bet.
I discussed this recently and got mixed views, some said 'not at my
games!' others said 'Fair Play'.
I personally think its OK, no worse than any other bluff?
All a check-raise is is this. You're faking a handoff, dropping back to
pass. The Sam blitz bursts through the hole between the guard and the
tackle forcing you to roll off his tackle and scramble towards the strong
side. The tight end is standing right smack dab in the middle of the Sam
linebacker's hole in the zone, and you catch him for 6 yards and a first
down.
A Man Beaten by Jacks
You're joking, right?
GrimJack808
2006-03-25 07:15:54 UTC
I don't think its bad etiquette at all. Unless maybe you are playing
against your wife or girlfriend (yes I specifically left out men from
that exception, because they can take it).

I once was playing at a B&M and one old timer got into a young guys
face about check raising being bad etiquette. He was doing it quite a
bit. (I liked it because it was getting money on the table). Each
time the old timer would pull the same histrionic bit. It was a low
limit table like 2/4 LHE I believe, and many pensioners play for lower
stakes that are quite meaningful to them, but not so meaningful to a
young guy who has a decent paycheck.

Finally the young guy got frustrated and said, "What I am doing by
Check Raising is not bad etiquette, I will start showing you bad
etiquette." From that point forward, each time the old timer made it
to showdown, the younger guy would ask to see his cards. This went on
for about 3 orbits (4-5 times) before the old guy got up and started
shouting at the top of his lungs about how he couldn't do that. The
floor came over and said he could as long as he made it to showdown.
The old timer pulled a Phil Hellmuth, kicking over a small food table
and pushing over his chair, as he stood up and walked out.

While I don't agree that check raising is bad etiquette, I do agree
that constantly asking to see cards that are being mucked is (even
though it may be allowed by the rules).

Good Luck!
$100 Free Party Poker Bankroll -OR- $50 Free Titan Poker Bankroll
No Deposit/No Credit Card (US & CANADA)
http://www.instantbankroll.com/ib.asp?rc=GRIMJACK808

Extra $60 or $90 over and above normal bonus for 12 popular sites:
http://www.pokersourceonline.com/pso.asp?rc=GRIMJACK808